The Witcher 2 - Interview @ Eurogamer

You don't succeed in the gaming industry with luck, especially on PC.
It sold well because European gamers know and love CD Projekt, it was based on a very popular book series, and because it's an excellent game.

Living in northern europe, scandinavia, and started to read fantasy 25 years ago.

Never heard of the Witcher series before the game, never.

had never heard of the publisher before either.

Luck plays a part, as with timing.

C

It's either your attention span or one other thing I won't mention. I'd go with attention span if I were you kid.

Honestly Fallout 1 is too easy even w/ full difficulty. Temple of Trials is the only truly "very hard" element of Fallout 2.
Give it a rest. I don't have a problem with my attention span.

You don't succeed in the gaming industry with luck, especially on PC.
It sold well because European gamers know and love CD Projekt, it was based on a very popular book series, and because it's an excellent game.
And at the time of the game's release, it was only available (The book series, that is) in French, Spanish, Polish and I think German. CDProjekt also published exclusively in Poland (Or perhaps Eastern Europe at most) at the time, too.

Oh for crying out loud. I tried to stay out of this because of how idiotic this topic is, but the game didn't succeed because of luck. It succeeded because it was good and therefore got decent reviews and word of mouth sales. Plus their PR department was in overdrive promoting this game. That always helps as well.

Luck? Where did you guys pull that one out of? Someone has been going to Vegas too often.

It's luck if you roll a seven ten times in a row at craps. It's luck if you make a point over three times in a row. It's not luck when reviews and people praise your game.

It's luck when you get a smash hit out of no where, no matter how good the game is. It was the right time and the right place.

Edit: Don't forget it had BioWare's name attached to it (Aurora Engine) and Atari were pushing it in the EU and US (I believe).

Do you remember the PR storm for this game? I hadn't heard of that author either or CDP, but CDP made damn sure I was aware of them and their game due to their PR campaign. PR, reviews and word of mouth are what sells games. Not some dice thrower in the sky (which is what I think luck is ;))

I have to agree, claiming this game did well just because of luck is utterly ridiculous. I had never heard of it either - until the PR came out on it. Luck could affect a small percentage of the sales, but the game, overall, did good because it was a solid game - not because they were just "lucky".

Edit: Although timing is important - but that is different than luck and usually planned. All the luck and timing in the world isn't going to make a game sell if it isn't good to begin with.

No one said luck is all you need, or timing.

If your product is crap, luck and timing won´t do much good.

The point I tried to make was that the witcher series were not that well known that some seems to think, so yes, having the luck, or timing to get a buzz around the game was fortunate.

(if you dont have the blizzard or ea/bioware hypemachine working for you, you need it)

History is filled with companies that have had superior products but failed to compete or not even had the chance to compete

CD project then had the guts to improve their rather shaky release (buggs anyone?) with a redone and improved edition. (the only reason I bought the game).

Tired, been playing stalker, eaten by dogs, time to sleep.

(talk of a game being buggridden from start, bought it on impulse sale to finish it. what a game, still)

C

Witcher was a good game, but they also did very smart PR. They worked the hardcore RPG crowd very early, on sites like this and the codex and with interviews hitting a lot of the right notes, recruiting some grassroots support. Then they slowly expanded to give it more and more mainstream appeal, and advertising widely prior to release. Finally kept supporting their product long after release. It was not a surprise hit.

Living in northern europe, scandinavia, and started to read fantasy 25 years ago.

Never heard of the Witcher series before the game, never.

had never heard of the publisher before either.

Same here. And that, although Polish immigrants are an almost normal sight here, nowadays.

Yep, CDP PR is pretty much one of the best.

I am glad they are improving combat, thank God!

It also mitigates my worries that they are putting too much faith in their ability to tell a gripping story. For me , the first was just good. If a story is going to carry an RPG it needs to be MotB and PS:T quality AND have gameplay implications as those did. The original Witcher did not.

Most importantly, I hope they make sure polishing gets rid of annoyances in the first game like long loading times between major areas, and back and forth fetch quests between those areas...

Back
Top Bottom