The Witcher 2 - Interview @ Next Gen

Tomasz Gop seems to be trying to say that the Witcher 2 isn't for younger players, ie the exact opposite of what BIO have done with DA2. If what Tomasz says is true, that would be a welcome breath of fresh air. However no console, still twitch combat, quite high minumum system specs? I would be a little nervous if I were CD Projekt.

However no console, still twitch combat, quite high minumum system specs? I would be a little nervous if I were CD Projekt.

I don't have a problem with any of those things, but I see where you're coming from in regards to CD Projekt. They're obviously not looking to maximize their profit the way some developers do, which is a great thing for PC gamers who have been waiting for a AAA game that was truly developed with the PC in mind. They also haven't verified whether or not there's going to be a console port. I only know that they would prefer to do it themselves, as opposed to outsourcing it.

I disagree about the system requirements though. I consider them about average for a PC game being released in 2011. I see some people making a fuss about the minimum graphics card being a Geforce 8800 or equal. Give me a break, the 8800 was released in 2007!

Wow totally missed Demon's Souls. When I hit Wikipedia, one of the first things it says is "widely regarded as the spiritual successor to the King's Field series". Oh, yeah, I'm getting this today :)

Wow totally missed Demon's Souls. When I hit Wikipedia, one of the first things it says is "widely regarded as the spiritual successor to the King's Field series". Oh, yeah, I'm getting this today :)

Just be aware that it's not really that similar to King's Field.

I guess I started it veering way off topic. You guys make Demon's Souls sound like a must-try though. I tend to avoid console games; even my PS1 and PS2 were mostly just to play Final Fantasy games. I'll definitely be getting Demon's Souls whenever I finally get a PS3 though.

After seeing a couple of hours game play at a friends, I actually rented a PS3 for a couple of days just to play / complete Demon's Souls. It's well worth playing, and there is a second one on the way also.

With the screens being posted within articles, and a glimpse of the world in "The Bard", I think we've got a serious contender on the way. Throw in better combat (Demon's Souls) plus the extra years of development from the first installment. It may be my first ever day one purchase.

I agree completely that Demon's Souls is "fair" - in that it rewards patient and careful observation and study of game mechanics. From there, it's a matter of timing and precision.

However, in the initial stages - during the first 5-10 hours of play - you WILL die endlessly, because everyone takes their time learning a new game with mechanics and gameplay as distinct as in Demon's Souls. Especially these days, as we've been conditioned to games handing everything to us without the slightest effort on our part.

So, there is a large element of trial and error in the beginning - and I think it's during this period that most give up on the game.

But if you persevere, there's a great game waiting for those inclined.

Personally, I stopped playing after ~20 hours or so - because I felt there was not enough variety in the actual mechanics of the game - and I made the mistake of reading up on loot tables and so forth. So there were few surprises left - and the actual levels/bosses (magnificent as they are) did not represent enough for me to want to dedicate myself. It's never a game that you can casually play - and you have to focus 100% when playing. Also, I didn't really care for the PvP implementation, even though it was quite novel. I just knew I had to invest a lot to become a good player, and in the end - the game was just not big enough in scope for me to bother. I'm hoping the sequel will have more variety in terms of loot and character options.

The only ones tempting me to finally get a PS3 are Demon's Souls and Red Dead Redemption, which I still hold out hope will come to the PC.

There are others games I would buy probably, like Killzone or Uncharted, but they don't make me want to buy the system for them.

Uncharted 1&2 are actually very good. A lot better than Red Dead Redemption imo, unless you just really like GTA type gameplay. Think Tomb Raider, but more realistic, and a much better story.

Valkyria Chronicles is also very good.

You know, I see third person shooter, and I avert my eyes. Thus Uncharted goes unseen. That's probably why I haven't got to know Laura, either.

VC gameplay looks interesting, but I can't stand anime art style.

Whew!

Uh oh.. 3rd-person camera, anime art... anything else we should be aware of? ;)

Since it seems you've already talked yourself out of it, I'd say the PS3 probably isn't for you.

My whole thing is I don't have enough time to play and enjoy all the PC games I want to, so adding a whole other platform to that with 20+ games I would enjoy is borderline insanity.

That too, unless multiple best game of the year candidates are unique to another platform. Then I may be swayed.

Another thing, too much nudity distracts me. ;)

I thought Red Dead Redemption was pretty fantastic.

Uncharted 1 is supremely boring and samey - unless you want a game version of a bad Hollywood movie.

Uncharted 2 is technically impressive, but it's just another "experience driven" content game.

Nothing wrong with that, but I find such repetition interrupted by cinematic sequences incredibly predictable and boring.

Back
Top Bottom