Torment: Tides of Numenera - Console Copies for Backers

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Backers of Torment: Tides of Numenera can now also sign up for a PS4 or Xbox One copy of the game next to your PC copy, although it will come with a small fee.

However, because there’s a minimum order size, we also need to make sure there’s enough interest from our backers before can confirm it. If there is, we’ll be happy to offer copies, but if the demand is not there, we won’t be able to do a small order. As well, there is a time limit – we can only provide console copies to you up to the release date of February 28th, so if you want one as an add-on, please be sure to let us know as soon as possible. On February 28, you can get your digital PC copies of the game through our backer site. If you ordered physical goods, Techland is handling the distribution. In addition, they’ve told us that you’ll receive your physical copies very close to release! As you may recall, Techland also funded work on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions of the game. Since that announcement, one of the top questions we’ve received is "can backers get console copies as well?” We’ve been exploring the possibilities of making this a reality for you, and would like to offer them... but we’ll need your help. The console manufacturers charge us for generating console game codes – a cost per code, but also with a minimum order size. While we’re not looking to make a profit, the expense is not trivial for us. Therefore, if the demand is there, we'd need to ask any backers who want a digital console copy to make an additional 1,800 point ($18) pledge on our backer site. You would get both the original PC copy, plus a digital console copy of your choice. This is not unlike how we did things for Wasteland 3.

So, how do you let us know you want a console copy? We’ve added a page to the Torment backer web site specifically for console code requests. Log in, and tell us on that page if you want a PS4 or Xbox One copy. If we get enough interest, we'll email everyone who signed up and let you all pledge for the $18 console add-on prior to the 28th!
More information.

They could be. I started with consoles and have played hundreds of RPGs on them. While recently the "big" consoles are a little light on RPGs (PS4/Xbox One, etc.), the previous gens had plenty of good ones, even some great exclusives. (And handhelds have had plenty of RPGs for awhile now.)

I think this is more an attempt to perhaps revive a market on consoles, trying to attract more RPG players there and hopefully bring RPGs back to the big consoles.

Nevermind joxer. He doesn't know much about consoles. His specialty is phones. :)

I did not play wasteland 2 on console; but my understanding is like D:OS it had a truely unique console gui (what I mean is that the gui for console and PC are totally independent). The reviews for wasteland 2 console version are decent (better than the PC version) so my guess is that the gui was ok.

I recall someone from inXile saying either here or in the KS comments that they would do a completely different GUI for the console versions so that neither the PC version nor console versions would suffer. Not sure if you'll be able to use a gamepad on the PC version (nor am I sure why anyone would want to play a game like this with a controller though).

Controller support is obviously best for co-op. D:OS played great with 2 controllers and seems Wasteland 3 will be similar.

Are games like this even played on consoles? Jus askin'…

I usually play PC games on a PC, and console games on a console… However, Torment:ToN looks surprisingly good on the Xbox One at 1080p, with sharp text, and from what I can tell, good controls.

I'm already in for a boxed CE, so it's probably worth the extra $18 to be able to play it from my couch. It would be really nice if saved games were transferrable, but I'm sure that's too much to hope for.

The one thing I find impressive is that small companies like larian and xile can offer true unique interfaces for pc and console while big companies like ea and (even) cd-projek provide one interface with hooks for console and pc. I've seen other folks do what Larian did but it has been a long time since I've seen two completely different interface designed from scratch for the appropriate platform. EA on the other hand (for example) is happy to spend 10's of million on advertising but not spend much at all on true pc interfaces for their console ports.

Not true. All Dragon Ages had different interfaces for PC, same for Mass Effect. Not all of them have been perfect from the beginning (e.g. DA Inquisition), but have been improved over time.

It might be true but i find it hard to believe since each release (MA and DA) had a worse interface. They weren't truely awful but they were significantly worse than the original.
-
I have to believe there was some laziness in the gui folks to take what was good and make it worse.

Not true. All Dragon Ages had different interfaces for PC, same for Mass Effect. Not all of them have been perfect from the beginning (e.g. DA Inquisition), but have been improved over time.

Does anyone know if it's still possible to purchase a boxed version or was that for backers only?

Not really clear if they're planning to sell boxed versions yet... I know personally I'm planning to sell my boxed version on eBay as I'm sure others will... Not really sure why I pledged for one but now my new PC doesn't even have a DVD drive anyway.

… Not really sure why I pledged for one but now my new PC doesn't even have a DVD drive anyway.

Heh, I remember, when the iMac came, that I found it stupid that it didn't have a floppy disk drive. :) (I didn't buy one for ... other reasons).

pibbur who still uses his DVD drives. Occasionally.

It's not going to happen.
Hello,

Thanks for expressing your interest in getting a digital add-on console copy of Torment: Tides of Numenera.

We previously stated that we needed to pay console platform holders for each individual console code we got, plus hit a minimum order count for each console. Despite getting responses from hundreds of our backers, we did not end up reaching the required minimum number we needed to. Unfortunately, that means we won't be able to offer the $18 console add-on to backers.

While the console version wasn't part of our initial Kickstarter pitch, we know some of you did want that as an option, so we're a bit bummed we didn't quite reach the goal too. That said, the PC version of Torment will run on Windows, Mac and Linux, and offers the choice of using both mouse & keyboard as well as controllers, so the couch experience is still within reach for PC players! If you are still interested in purchasing a console copy of the game, you may also do so at any local or online retailer, or digitally on Xbox Live or PlayStation Network.

Thank you for your support, and we hope you enjoy the game on PC once it launches this Feb. 28th!

Best regards,
inXile Entertainment

Back
Top Bottom