Torment:ToN - Brian Fargo Interview @ TGG

And a lot of RPGs are slow burns, as I think someone already mentioned. A lot of these isometic RPGs weren't huge successes immediately. Where games in other genres dry up quickly, a good RPG is often still making money 10 years later.

And a lot of RPGs are slow burns, as I think someone already mentioned. A lot of these isometic RPGs weren't huge successes immediately. Where games in other genres dry up quickly, a good RPG is often still making money 10 years later.

The problem with slow-burners is whether the company still exists when the game turns to be a good profit-maker?

For a small 1-5 ppl indie dev, it's okay, but if you have a 50+ ppl company, you just can't wait for your business turn eventually golden.

For InXile, I think their biz tactic is to make the development break even, or turn small profit with crowd funding, and the rest of income is a welcome extra (roll back to the company, or pay back the installment loan for that cherry red Ferrari).

I also think they use the extra income (if it arrives) to improve the game after release. They did quite a bit of clean up to wasteland 2; and hopefully, if torment sells ok, there will be some additional clean up.

Its a dangerous tactic because even if the final product is quite good the initial release is somewhat lack luster.
-
To be honest of the big three last year (d:eek:s, wasteland 2 and poe) i prefered the final cut of wasteland 2 the best. Mind you I loved d:eek:s game play but wasteland 2 is more enjoyable to replay because of details in the story. To be honest I think i prefer dks over d:eek:s but hard to say for sure because it has been a long time since i played dks.

The problem with slow-burners is whether the company still exists when the game turns to be a good profit-maker?

For a small 1-5 ppl indie dev, it's okay, but if you have a 50+ ppl company, you just can't wait for your business turn eventually golden.

For InXile, I think their biz tactic is to make the development break even, or turn small profit with crowd funding, and the rest of income is a welcome extra (roll back to the company, or pay back the installment loan for that cherry red Ferrari).

Yeah, currently playing WL2 DC for the first time (I had already played through the game once when DC arrived) and I have to say it's my favourite out of all the games I've Kickstarter so far, and I've backed a lot of games. D:OS, Torment and the Shadowrun games are also high on the list.

Yeah, currently playing WL2 DC for the first time and I have to say it's my favourite out of all the games I've Kickstarter so far...

Exactly my thoughts. The best KS RPG for me.

I've enjoyed it much, much more than Shadowrun games, Pillars, Tranny etc.

The SR Dragonfall was superb, SR Hong Kong was excellent. The first one was, meh.

Back
Top Bottom