Tyranny - Release Date Confirmed

Wait, 25 hours max of what's supposed to be a complex RPG?
If that's supposed to be a joke, it's a bad one.

Okay, that sets it. I'll buy (and play) Dishonored 2 first, based on impressions from others I'll decide on Tyranny.

Looks like this product is all about what so called RPGers name choice and consequences.

Hard to make any sense of this expression since gaming is about choice and consequences.

Now it can be about determining the fate of many and what path to take up to that point.

Reading, listening to dialogues, clicking on adequate options might cover six hours (thinking large)

It means that 14 hours are left to fill. The product is announced with replayability. Even when considering that it provides content to renew the six determining hours, it might end with being too long by 14 hours.

The 14 hours might be mere fillers. Replaying a 20 hour product for six hours work for players looking for time sinkers.

If a video maker records each time the six meaningful hours, better to watch that. Three come for the price of one.

Also on GOG

If length had been the only indicator for depth Bob Dylan would never have been chosen for the Nobel prize.

If length had been the only indicator for depth Bob Dylan would never have been chosen for the Nobel prize.

Not the only one, but an indicator nonetheless. Especially at the asking price of 42€.

As proven above for some people numbers are the only thing that seems to matter, even before the first reviews have been published. I have to admit, I don't understand that belief in metrics. Besides, 25 hours is more than many other games offer, especially if there are indeed choices and differences. With Alpha Protocol OEI already gave proof, that they can create different paths that are more than just cosmetic. But of course the game also wasn't long enough and not fantasy so maybe it went unnoticed.

You conveniently forgot that the only choices in this game appear (for now) to be: "evil" and "different kind of evil" and that you have time constraints imposed upon you. So no, numbers aren't the only thing.

As far as I understand neither joxer nor Morrandir belong to that faction, that demands for a pure Paladin of Light. However, "evil" is a matter of perspective, especially without knowing anything about the real story. We've only heard marketing talk so far, and as we all know that kind of talking is oversimplyfing and based on catchphrases. I've heard so many devs talking about "grey choices" or "being really bad" and in the end it was simply D&D with more blood on the backdrop and the possibility to buy drugs. Amazing. Some american developers still think they only have to reduce the color brightness of the average Disney movie to create a grown-up touch. That's not how it works for all of us.

Don't get me wrong, I don't say buy it without knowing. Your concerns don't necessarily have to be incorrect. But maybe you shouldn't already condemn it without knowing, either.

I don't. I'm waiting for after release reactions.

As far as I understand neither joxer nor Morrandir belong to that faction, that demands for a pure Paladin of Light. However, "evil" is a matter of perspective, especially without knowing anything about the real story.
Erm...
I never play paladins and in party based games I kick paladins out as soon as I can (unless I'm completing the game so I keep them till their questline is done with).

What faction? If it's a faction of making RPG as short as possible, then true, I don't belong to such faction.

Yeah, Avantenor lives in a pretty binary world. If somebody doesn't like playing evil characters he/she must prefer pure Paladin of Light.

As proven above for some people numbers are the only thing that seems to matter, even before the first reviews have been published. I have to admit, I don't understand that belief in metrics.

The belief is simple: money vs time. Players consider money spent by hour. $50 for 25 hours, $2 per hour is more than what they declare to accept:$1 by hour.

In their case, two walkthroughs mean they are on par with their criterion.
They would jump on a similar product if each walkthrough was 1000 hour long.

This product presses a different question for gamers. Replayability is a core feature for gamers. For this product, it is hard to tell about playability and replayability.

It seems that content is locked since the creation of the PC, rising the issue of dilution of content, being forced to wade through dull activities to unlock some new content that cant be unlocked with a different start.

The core looks like diluted, while the asides, the bridging bits look dull.

I'm finding Chien's last couple posts in this thread to be hilarious, and its hard to explain why, lol.

Anyway, I agree with joxer, 25 hours seems skimpy for a rpg of this kind.

And its not just about number of hours either. It very much depends on the genre of the game. An old school rpg is expected to be a lengthy game, like say, 50-100 hours, or even more. That is simply tradition.

In contrast, a traditional pure first person shooter released today would be unthinkable as a 25 hour game, at least when looking at most of the big titles put out by the big name developers. These type games have seemed to get shorter and shorter. Most of those games are as little as 5 hours (or less) to around 10 hours or so, maybe a little longer on occasion. I'm speaking of the single player main campaign only here, and not multiplayer.

Then we can consider the open world shooter games with rpg elements such as Far Cry 3 and Dead Island, once again, a different kettle of fish. Those games have much more game time than the traditional FPS, and to them 25 hours is much more of a "normal" or expected amount of game play.

Anyway, I'm rambling, but the point is what players expect in terms of game hours very much is determined by the game genre, and can have wide variations because of that. Its not so simple, in other words.

Anyway, I agree with joxer, 25 hours seems skimpy for a rpg of this kind.

It's 25 hours for a single playthrough, not the total time it will take you to see all the game has to offer. The dev said that conquest choices will affect your gameworld. We know from previews that one of these conquest choices change the name, appearance and all the encounters including quests in one of the zone/map already. You might have to sink in 100 hours through multiple playthrough to experience everything in the game for all we know. Kinda like Alpha Protocol.

Shadowrun: Dragonfall was about 25-30h and that was OK.

Same here - wonderful game with high density of high quality quests and choices and consequences, with minimal fillers. The setting and atmosphere were spot on (I am more biased towards cyberpunk setting) - if Tyranny can achieve this then I might buy later on sale (I can't stand Unity).

Kinda like Alpha Protocol.

Never bought that one. Not because it's length, dunno nothing about that figure. I refused to buy it - because checkpoints.
You saying Tyranny disallows PC savegame systems and went ZX Spectrum no terabytes of HDD space designs?

Same here - wonderful game with high density of high quality quests and choices and consequences, with minimal fillers. The setting and atmosphere were spot on (I am more biased towards cyberpunk setting) - if Tyranny can achieve this then I might buy later on sale (I can't stand Unity).

Shadowrun was also made with Unity :p

Very few people will tke 25hours to finish this. Feel free to contradict me when you finish.

Back
Top Bottom