UFO2 Extraterrestrials is coming…

Ubbax

Watchdog
I know there's some fans here; start counting the days :biggrin:

UFO2 Extraterrestrials has been slated for a September 2011 release.

UFO2Extraterrestrials: Shadows over Earth
• A fully 3D game combining real-time global strategy & air combat with
turn-based tactical missions

• A turn-based “I-Go-You-Go“ tactical squad-based game system

• Interactive environments with destructible terrain.

• A large number of technologies, weapons, and combat units to develop

• A large number of aliens to interrogate

• Strong RPG elements where soldiers’ stats improve with experience

• Dynamic lighting for intense fire-fights

• Final Gameplay design and balance tweaks by the author of the popular
original UFO: ET Bman Ease of Use Mod.

If you're a fan of the game and especially if you were a previous UFO:ET Modder, take a look at the FAQ on the website which provides more detailed info.

mmm real TURN BASED goodness…

Ubbax
"A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station" - unknown

Thanks for the info, Ubbax. I've finally got a game to look forward to for this year. didn't even know this was in development, let alone getting close. Although, given how many times they delayed the first one, I'm not sure I'd put money on that release date being a sure thing.

Any real differences to the previous version or just som graphics and tweaks?

for instance>
-Dynamic lights
-Naval forces on the Geoscape
-Versatile aliens (proximity grenade deployers, mine-throwers and many others)
-Scenarios taking place on the ships, train stations (including the train in the station)

@Skalisko
Thanks for sneaking away from UFO2 development to post :)
Pop in now and again to update us further as time permits.

Ubbax
"I cannot give you the formula for success, but I can give you the formula for failure, which is: try to please everybody." - Herbert Bayard Swope

Hopefully, I didn't give the wrong impression (reading my post again, it's very possible that I did). I'm actually glad they delayed shipment on UFO:ET until it was truly ready. The patience proved out in the quality of the final product. It's the "right way" to do it, and if delays arise on UFO2 I'll assume that it's once again for all the right reasons.

deets - is this the sequel to the one we were wanting to review or the sequel to the other one that came out at nearly the same time but wasn't as good?

This is certainly more interesting than the new shooter-ufo.
for instance>
-Dynamic lights
-Naval forces on the Geoscape
-Versatile aliens (proximity grenade deployers, mine-throwers and many others)
-Scenarios taking place on the ships, train stations (including the train in the station)
Underwater scenarios?? Played ufo2 a lot in the 90s. Liked those ships.

deets - is this the sequel to the one we were wanting to review or the sequel to the other one that came out at nearly the same time but wasn't as good?
Iz the good one that we planned to review but never quite got around to writing. The other one you're thinking of was the latest (at the time) installment of the disappointing After- series.

This game looks pretty good.

I'll keep my eye on it.
If you liked X-Com, you'll like this. It's not a carbon copy or even a completely faithful remake, but Chaos Concepts is probably fortunate Microprose isn't around to defend their copyright. ;) To reference a different discussion, they closely followed a recipe, but it's one hell of a tasty peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Well, I guess this assumes they don't completely lose their way between UFO1 and UFO2, but that doesn't appear to be a problem based on what I'm seeing.

If you liked X-Com, you'll like this. It's not a carbon copy or even a completely faithful remake, but Chaos Concepts is probably fortunate Microprose isn't around to defend their copyright. ;) To reference a different discussion, they closely followed a recipe, but it's one hell of a tasty peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Well, I guess this assumes they don't completely lose their way between UFO1 and UFO2, but that doesn't appear to be a problem based on what I'm seeing.

Liked X-Com?

It's in my top-3 of all time ;)

I'm still crying about the cancelled Freedom Ridge by the Gollop Bros.

Liked X-Com?

It's in my top-3 of all time ;)
In that case, I give you no more than 17.3 minutes to purchase UFO1 and begin playing, and that's just because the installation routine takes a little while to complete. Do yourself the favor. Like I said, there are a few differences (the undying troops thing takes some getting used to on a mental level, but it works within their overall game design) but you'll feel very comfy. One warning--you'll have a blast getting to it, but the ending absolutely sucks rocks.
I'm still crying about the cancelled Freedom Ridge by the Gollop Bros.
I remember that one! It seemed to have tons of promise, didn't it?

In that case, I give you no more than 17.3 minutes to purchase UFO1 and begin playing, and that's just because the installation routine takes a little while to complete. Do yourself the favor. Like I said, there are a few differences (the undying troops thing takes some getting used to on a mental level, but it works within their overall game design) but you'll feel very comfy. One warning—you'll have a blast getting to it, but the ending absolutely sucks rocks.

I did try it, and I wasn't impressed. I think it was the visual approach more than anything. It was.... very awkward. I prefer X-Com 1/2 still.

I remember that one! It seemed to have tons of promise, didn't it?

And then some... Gollop brothers = godlike game designers :)

Well, they used to be.

Love this

WHY BIOSHOCK 2 UNDERPERFORMED Next year’s BioShock: Infinite is one of 2K’s most anticipated video games. However, 2010’s BioShock 2 failed to do the numbers the label was expecting.
Hartmann explains why: “It was the publishing window. It was the spring of death. We shipped two weeks after Mass Effect 2. Every two weeks there was a major release so you had two weeks to sell. And if you look at the statistics of all of those titles, sales fell off a cliff for all of them after two weeks.

Blame the competitors rather than admit the product was not compelling. :rolleyes:

He explains: “The ‘90s generation of gamers all love Xcom and we own the IP, so we thought OK, what do we do with it? Every studio we had wanted to do it and each one had its own spin on it. But the problem was that turn-based strategy games were no longer the hottest thing on planet Earth. But this is not just a commercial thing – strategy games are just not contemporary.
Wow, guess I really *am* old skool then. So...not contemporary. I wasn't aware that game development had become an avant garde fashion industry.

Back
Top Bottom