Vitamin D deficiency

Great to hear you're better however…

I do and will support everyone who told you to care about food. Avoid junkfood, avoid GMO and avoid corn syrup. It's not always possible, just minimize it.

While Junk Food and Corn Syrup is somehwhat self exaplanatory I just want to mention that GMO isn't necessarily bad. In fact it could be the future of our human race.
Ofc it needs proper testing and labeling. But it's not the devil by just being "unnatural".

This hobby of ours ins't really healthy…

Every time I am running or doing any other exercise I am think, I could have used this time to play more games. I envy people who can motivate themselves to get out and keep fit!

This reminds me, that I haven't been to the gym in well over couple of moths :(

Easy. I've always followed the rule that if I don't train I don't game. But as long as I've been to the gym I'm allowed to.

Easy. I've always followed the rule that if I don't train I don't game. But as long as I've been to the gym I'm allowed to.
Easy following a rule, ey? So, could you, would you, apply the same rule to coffee? Skip it unless you have trained? :evilgrin:

Well, I kept trying to train throughout this period - but I stopped a few weeks ago, in the hopes that it would speed up my recovery.

A couple of weeks ago, I had a few days of being 100% - and my symptoms only returned after a period of activity, where I mowed the lawn and what not.

So, I decided I would wait until I feel better for a while before going back to my training.

I really hate not being able to do it - and I'm not even sure it's related at all.

Well, all the symptoms that you have described which you have said are gone now fit in a B12-deficiency quite well: the tingling in your extremities, the unusual sweating, the shortage of breath, the heart palpitations, the overwelming, fluelike fatigue. All but your strange lower throat/chest sensation.

In case the symptoms that are now gone return when being physically active: do not start taking B12 pills but go to the doctor to test the blood. Because if you take the pills the amount of B12 in your blood goes up - for many, many months (while having a shortage at cellular level), so the doctor won't conclude you really have a shortage. (If he is ignorant he might even say you have too much B12 - but too much is harmless and leaves the body via urine).

B12 deficiency is serious business. It has similarities with MS.
Damage done to the nerve/nervous system may be permanent.
Symptoms of B12 deficiency vary. This is because B12 is needed for the formation of myelin, isolation material of the nerves. When that isolation is failing, all sorts of defects may appear, because, obviously, nerves are important to all sorts of functions of the body.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=nl&tl=en&u=http://home.kpn.nl/hindrikdejong/symptoom.htm

https://translate.google.com/transl...nen-hebben/heb-ik-een-b12-tekort-de-diagnose/

https://stichtingb12tekort.nl/our-english-articles/

Sorry to have given Google translations of Dutch sites, but these contain the best info that I know of.

Like I said, the strange phenomenon in your chest/lower throat does not quite fit in - to my knowledge. So it might well be that the above info is unnecessary.

I do hope you'll find an answer, Dart; not knowing is not a pleasant phase. Though sometimes an answer will never come.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Well, all the symptoms that you have described which you have said are gone now fit in a B12-deficiency quite well: the tingling in your extremities, the unusual sweating, the shortage of breath, the heart palpitations, the overwelming, fluelike fatigue. All but your strange lower throat/chest sensation.

In case the symptoms that are now gone return when being physically active: do not start taking B12 pills but go to the doctor to test the blood. Because if you take the pills the amount of B12 in your blood goes up - for many, many months (while having a shortage at cellular level), so the doctor won't conclude you really have a shortage. (If he is ignorant he might even say you have too much B12 - but too much is harmless and leaves the body via urine).

B12 deficiency is serious business. It has similarities with MS.
Damage done to the nerve/nervous system may be permanent.
Symptoms of B12 deficiency vary. This is because B12 is needed for the formation of myelin, isolation material of the nerves. When that isolation is failing, all sorts of defects may appear, because, obviously, nerves are important to all sorts of functions of the body.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=nl&tl=en&u=http://home.kpn.nl/hindrikdejong/symptoom.htm

https://translate.google.com/transl...kort.nl/vitamineb12-tekort-symptomenlijst.php

https://translate.google.com/transl...nen-hebben/heb-ik-een-b12-tekort-de-diagnose/

https://stichtingb12tekort.nl/our-english-articles/

Sorry to have given Google translations of Dutch sites, but these contain the best info that I know of.

Like I said, the strange phenomenon in your chest/lower throat does not quite fit in - to my knowledge. So it might well be that the above info is unnecessary.

I do hope you'll find an answer, Dart; not knowing is not a pleasant phase. Though sometimes an answer will never come.
Good luck.

Thank you for your detailed response :)

I've been taking a "universal" supplement along with the Vitamin D supplement, which includes B12. Also, I took that universal supplement for months before getting the problem.

Beyond that, I tend to consume a fair amount of red meat, cheese and eggs. So, I don't really think I could be B12 deficient to a great degree.

Though, you could be right.

I will call my doctor in about a week - as a month will have passed after starting the Vitamin D supplements.

I will be sure to have them test for more stuff if at all possible.

But I value all input, so thanks again :)

You're welcome.

Btw, consuming lots of red meat, cheese, eggs, and B12 pills does not mean you have enough B12 at cellular level. You may have a prob in your digestion; the intake of B12 (and, after that, methylation) is complicated and there are many steps where things can go wrong.
Hence the 4 tests to see if there is a B12 issue, just the serum B12 is not enough when having symptoms that might be related to B12 deficiency.
(https://translate.google.com/transl...nen-hebben/heb-ik-een-b12-tekort-de-diagnose/)

A month of not taking supplements might not be long enough. I advise you to repeat the tests in 6 and again in 12 months time - in case you still have symptoms of course. To see whether there is a decline.

You're welcome.

Btw, consuming lots of red meat, cheese, eggs, and B12 pills does not mean you have enough B12 at cellular level. You may have a prob in your digestion; the intake of B12 (and, after that, methylation) is complicated and there are many steps where things can go wrong.
Hence the 4 tests to see if there is a B12 issue, just the serum B12 is not enough when having symptoms that might be related to B12 deficiency.
(https://translate.google.com/transl...nen-hebben/heb-ik-een-b12-tekort-de-diagnose/)

A month of not taking supplements might not be long enough. I advise you to repeat the tests in 6 and again in 12 months time - in case you still have symptoms of course. To see whether there is a decline.

I'm not expecting my levels to be anywhere near great yet - but I just need to confirm that they're going up :)

As for the complexities of digestion - it's a complete jungle. I really don't think I have what it takes to research everything that could possibly be wrong with me :)

Every little thing would take weeks or even months to confirm or dismiss, which would be such a nightmare.

I just need to take things one step at a time, and hopefully I'll be able to rely on experts.

In my case, my health has been pretty much perfect for 40 years - so I'm hoping whatever is wrong now is something that can be detected by a professional - or possibly myself by testing a variety of potential solutions.

I'm crossing fingers and everything else I have available that an answer is forthcoming through standard tests - and that I don't have to spend years like this while trying to figure things out.

The Vitamin D deficiency symptoms are more or less gone (but you're right, most of them could also be B12 just as well - but my Vitamin D came back extremely low, so there's no real reason to think it's not exactly that) - and the only thing that's still here is that one tingling/pressure I'm talking about - which after endless hours of researching all kinds of disorders - there still isn't a real answer for.

Essentially, it could be related to almost every known digestive, heart, lung, mental or whatever other kind of disorder out there - but the precise nature of it isn't a "typical" symptom of anything I've found - so far.

Well, apart from GERD - which I'm still trying to rule out by eating differently. Today, for instance, I actually feel a lot better after eating nothing but vegetables and chicken (and a little rough bread) - but it could also just be one of my better days.

It's hard to find a pattern so far :(

It's hard to find a pattern so far :(
Yeah, it can be quite a puzzle. :(

Addendum:
I'm not expecting my levels to be anywhere near great yet - but I just need to confirm that they're going up :)
Just to avoid any possible confusion: in the case of B12, serum B12 will be skigh high (for a long period) when taking B12 pills, but at the level where it matters there may be a screaming shortage.
So levels going up is not exactly the thing you're after. :)

But yes, the cause of your problem might very well be not B12 related.

Last edited:
Your symptoms could be lighting related. If you are being exposed to too much blue light that can have some funny effects.

Yeah, it can be quite a puzzle. :(

Addendum:

Just to avoid any possible confusion: in the case of B12, serum B12 will be skigh high (for a long period) when taking B12 pills, but at the level where it matters there may be a screaming shortage.
So levels going up is not exactly the thing you're after. :)

But yes, the cause of your problem might very well be not B12 related.

I was talking about my Vitamin D levels. I don't rule out B12 - but I need to take one thing at a time, because if I start assuming it could be other things without supporting evidence - I'll never really find out what it is.

Again, the B12/D symptoms are gone - so I don't have a tangible problem related to those. If I start experiencing them again, then I'll start looking into B12.

The body is a strange thing, and it takes a while to really make sure I'm actually better for real, unfortunately.

The universal supplement only has limited amounts of B12 - among other things, like Calcium and Magnesium, both of which are needed too.

I somehow missed this thread. I am glad your care seems to have resolved your health issues Dart.

For me, I have always taken daily supplements of vitamins and minerals, all the way back to childhood. I recommend the same to everyone as a safety measure, unless you've got specific allergies to them or imbalances you need to avoid.

I actually believe I've finally figured it out! Don't want to say just yet - I'll wait until tomorrow to see if it still holds true...

Easy following a rule, ey? So, could you, would you, apply the same rule to coffee? Skip it unless you have trained? :evilgrin:

Well...I suppose I could. But I would probably bite other people at the gym. Which would be kind of bad because I also work there...

Funny, I'm feeling much better. But maybe this feeling of well-being is just psychosomatic? How many months do I have left, doctor? ;)

edit: hmm. :)

Heh. I decided I had to do a more thorough job if I wanted to take part I further discussions, not just a stupid little one-line response without any reasoning. So I deleted it.

Not soon enough, however. :)

pibbur

i actually believe i've finally figured it out! Don't want to say just yet - i'll wait until tomorrow to see if it still holds true…

it's a midlife crisis!

it's a midlife crisis!

I had that when I was 20 ;)

Long incoming probable self-diagnosis:

After 2 months of thorough googling and an exhaustive amount of thinking and over-thinking, the only thing that makes any sense is LPR (Silent Reflux).

Also, I want to thank you Caddy, because it was your suggestion that it could still be GERD that made me redouble my efforts and start (re)reading more about it.

I had already ruled out LPR - because I didn't really feel it matched my symptoms - and I obviously didn't understand the precise nature of what happens with LPR as opposed to GERD. Specifically how pepsin enzymes work - and how you can have a tingling and pressure sensation in the throat/larynx without any kind of regurgitation or bad taste (or so it would seem).

My own theory is currently that I've likely developed a hiatal hernia - because it would make a lot of sense. I recently started doing Squats when weight lifting and I've been wearing a belt for it. However, during some of the sets - I've often felt a very uncomfortable pressure on my abdomen because the belt put pressure in the wrong places - and I've lifted heavy weights with that pressure in the wrong places more than once.

It makes sense to me that this entire period of illness has been brought about by this hiatal hernia causing the LPR - because my initial symptoms were very much those of a common cold or flu - and it seems a very, very normal scenario for the onset of GERD/LPR.

Apparently, once your throat/larynx becomes inflamed due to an infection, it takes very little acid or further irritation to cause reflux symptoms in those areas.

So, while I've thought it was low Vitamin D that caused all my problems this whole time, that was likely a minor thing that I just discovered by accident.

I have a sneaking suspicion that everything comes down to this LPR - and though I'm not sure about the hernia, that just makes a lot of sense to me.

The good news is that I've been much better after severely adjusting my diet these past two days. I've made changes based on a variety of sources about what's best for reflux. Meaning, I eat smaller meals and I eat almost no fatty foods and I avoid high acidity and caffeine. I've also decided to NOT take any PPIs - because I don't like the idea of reducing stomach acid in that way, and I've started gurgling/drinking water with sodium bicarbonates to neutralise or reduce the Pepsins.

I still get the tingling sensation soon after waking up - but it's not very severe, and it's much, much less bothersome during the day. Last night after getting back from work - I was more or less 100% - and I'm already starting to feel that way now (~11:20 AM).

My guess is that while I've been telling myself that my symptoms were gone during the night (lying down) - there's still been some pepsin/acid at work in my throat, but since I don't get the bad taste or sore throat, it's probably pretty mild.

That, or it's simply a matter of taking a while to heal the damage - and I might not even be exposed to much anymore.

My great worry is, of course, that this problem will expand - and that I won't be able to get it under control. I don't really care about adjusting my diet - and I could live with that, no problem. I do hope it's a mild case and that I'm able to rebuild stuff and possibly rid myself of the potential hernia.

But one thing that's really scary is never getting rid of the symptoms and the tingling/pressure sensations - as well as the nasal congestion and heavy headedness that often follow.

Anyway, that's my current estimate on the status of my health ;)

Last edited:
Good for you! Well done. Seems thorough. Makes sense. Fingers crossed. :)

First a general comment, not specifically directed at you, dart, but your thread provides the opportunity.

Self-diagnosis is not easy and in many cases a hi-risk enterprise, especially based on internet. There's a lot of low-quality hogwash out there, and even if we manage to stay clear of that, there's still a lot traps, since of there can be many conditions behind a set of symptoms, a lot more than can be easily found by (even thoroughly) searching the net. One has to know what to look for, and one has to know how to carefully evaluate symptoms, putting them into context in order to find the most likely culprit among several alternatives, which could be very similar. There are diseases we call imitators, because they can look like almost anything. To sort it out takes experience, resources and time, but most of all experience. Which can only be obtained by working.

It's very common that students in the medical disciplines "suffer" from several diseases during their college days, the so-call "medical student syndrome". Personally I went through 3 cancers and several other really nasty things during my time (fortunately all of them healed spontaneously). I studied hard and read about, knew about and saw a lot of different diseases, but I didn't have the experience needed to put it all together. 1-2 years after graduating I started to get the hang of it.

BTW, It was very illustrating when I was a censor at oral exams at the University of Tromsø. Those students, fresh out of med-school, had of course more detailed knowledge than I had (the less essential stuff tend to be forgotten). But where I found the correct diagnosis within minutes (it wasn't very complex cases), they asked the patients about this and that, wasting time and resources. Eventually they found what was wrong, of course, but the diagnostic process was with little plan and purpose. Because they were inexperienced.

Regarding your symptoms dart, I won't comment. Not having practiced medicine for almost 20 years, I've forgot a lot. But most important: I don't have the ability anymore. I can of course read a medical text and understand it, but it becomes a bit confusing when I try to apply the knowledge. A couple of weeks ago, a friend sent me a multiple choice test used as part of medical education in Norway. The students were presented with several short cases, and asked what to do next. I knew the diseases presented as alternatives, but for most of the cases, I couldn't evaluate them and make a (correct) decision. I performed poorly.

For the record. I don't diagnose myself, except when it's very easy.

pibbur who is occasionally a hypochondric, which is really bad, because he has a lot more diseases to worry about than most people.

PS: I'm all for checking things on the net,. But be careful when trying to apply what's found. DS.

First a general comment, not specifically directed at you, dart, but your thread provides the opportunity.

Self-diagnosis is not easy and in many cases a hi-risk enterprise, especially based on internet. There's a lot of low-quality hogwash out there, and even if we manage to stay clear of that, there's still a lot traps, since of there can be many conditions behind a set of symptoms, a lot more than can be easily found by (even thoroughly) searching the net. One has to know what to look for, and one has to know how to carefully evaluate symptoms, putting them into context in order to find the most likely diagnosis among several alternatives, which could be very similar. There are diseases we call imitators, because they can look like almost anything. To sort it out takes experience, resources and time, but most of all experience. Which can only be obtained by working.

It's very common that students in the medical disciplines "suffer" from several diseases during their college days, the so-call "medical student syndrome". Personally I went through 3 cancers and several other really nasty things during my time (fortunately all of them healed spontaneously). I studied hard and read about, knew about and saw a lot of different diseases, but I didn't have the experience needed to put it all together. 1-2 years after graduating I started to get the hang of it.

BTW, It was very illustrating when I was a censor at oral exams at the University of Tromsø. Those students, fresh out of med-school, had of course more detailed knowledge than I had (the less essential stuff tend to be forgotten). But where I found the correct diagnosis within minutes (it wasn't very complex cases), they asked the patients about this and that, wasting time and resources. Eventually they found what was wrong, of course, but the diagnostic process was with little plan and purpose. Because they were inexperienced.

Regarding your symptoms dart, I won't comment. Not having practiced medicine for almost 20 years, I've forgot a lot. But most important: I don't have the ability anymore. I can of course read a medical text and understand it, but it becomes a bit confusing when I try to apply the knowledge. A couple of weeks ago, a friend sent me a multiple choice test used as part of medical education in Norway. The students were presented with several short cases, and asked what to do next. I knew the diseases presented as alternatives, but for most of the cases, I couldn't evaluate them and make a (correct) decision. I performed poorly.

For the record. I don't diagnose myself, except when it's very easy.

pibbur who is occasionally a hypochondric, which is really bad, because he has a lot more diseases to worry about than most people.

PS: I'm all for checking things on the net,. But be careful when trying to apply what's found. DS.

I appreciate what you're saying - and I thank you for taking the effort to convey your thoughts.

Now, I don't convince easily - and my current "diagnosis" is nothing but a best guess scenario. I have no illusions of being capable of replacing a professional doctor.

My problem is that I don't have a whole lot of faith in my doctor. I mean, he's a nice guy and seems knowledgable in a general sense - but the very first thing I suggested to him was reflux. He convinced me it probably wasn't that - because I didn't have any kind of regurgitation and I didn't actually cough.

It didn't take a lot of research to realise that those symptoms aren't always part of reflux - not at all, in fact.

I'm going to try again and have some more tests done - but I consider the whole health checking ordeal exhausting and I know it's like rolling the dice. You need to be lucky and find not only a really smart person - but also a person who cares and wants to go in-depth when it comes to symptoms that are so diffuse and hard to pin down exactly.

I've always been a bit of a self-diagnostic kind of guy. I've suffered from a variety of mental disorders, for instance - including GAD and OCD.

I've always been able to get a handle on things by doing exhaustive research and understanding how things work. It takes a lot of time and effort - but I've had good results so far.

So, unless I get some kind of really solid help and answers from the professionals - I'll have to rely on finding my own answers.

Back
Top Bottom