Warlock of Firetop Mountain - Review @ PCWorld

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PCWorld reviewed The Warlock of Firetop Mountain - a PC conversion of an old gamebook:

The Warlock of Firetop Mountain review: Another 1980s sword-and-board adapted for the modern era

There's a rush on Steve Jackson's old adventure gamebooks, and I'm okay with that.

The Warlock of Firetop Mountain has neither the depth nor the complexity of Inkle's Sorcery games, but tabletop-esque art and a plethora of unique adventurers make this a strong adaptation.

Steve Jackson’s in the midst of a renaissance, it seems. Earlier this year we took a look at Inkle’s Sorcery!, which adapts the 1980s adventure gamebooks of the same name into a modern hybrid of choose-your-own-adventure and RPG—with the help of Inkle’s fantastic writing.

And so imagine my feelings of deja vu as The Warlock of Firetop Mountain crossed my desk—another adaptation of a Steve Jackson adventure gamebook, this one from 1982 and co-authored with Ian Livingstone.

As I said: A renaissance.

[…]

Bottom line

The Warlock of Firetop Mountain is an excellent adaptation. Like Sorcery, it never really transcends the cheesy sword-and-board adventure-fantasy of the original adventure gamebook it sources from, but that’s not really the point is it? Hell, the archetypal characters and straightforward questing are part of the charm. Tin Man’s lovingly reshaped Steve Jackson’s work into a relaxing and lightweight RPG, perfect to run once or twice in a night and hope this time you avoid all Zagor’s traps and make it to the end.

I don’t know what prompted this rush on Steve Jackson’s work, but I’d take a couple more adaptations—whether by Inkle, by Tin Man, or by someone else. It’s fast becoming one of my favorite niche genres.

Score: 4/5
More information.

Last edited:
Seem to be missing the link to the actual review, I'm afraid. Still, the synopsis is good enough to get the jist, thankyou.

Edit: now fixed, many thanks :)

Last edited:
Having been a backer and put nine hours already into this, I'm seriously considering attempting a review of my own which I would certainly humbly offer up to the 'Watch for a story. I'll see how my mental energy goes over the coming week or so. :)

In short:

Pros:
- Strongly faithful to the source material. Nostalgia will ring true for readers.
- Fun, bouncy and addictive game-play with many paths possible through the Mountain, expanding on the book's one true path.
- Reasonable variety of characters encourages replayability via the souls mechanic which unlocks different character tiers. (More higher skilled characters to choose from…)
- More DLC content still in development
- The engine shows great potential for future games.
- Unique turn based grid combat system rewards observation, positioning and experimentation.

Cons:
- Some bugs still remain; product still needs some polish.
- General linearity in scripted encounters leading to quick familiarity and a sense of repetition upon replay, which is critical to earn the souls required to unlock higher skilled character tiers.
- Combat can become tedious; possibly relying on too much player skill over character skill.
- Group combat rules for traditional Fighting Fantasy not fully implemented. (No blocking skill checks)
- The Maze of Zagor isn't really a maze.

That'll do for now!

Last edited:
Having been a backer and put nine hours already into this, I'm seriously considering attempting a review of my own which I would certainly humbly offer up to the 'Watch for a story. I'll see how my mental energy goes over the coming week or so. :)

In short:

Pros:
- Strongly faithful to the source material. Nostalgia will ring true for readers.
- Fun, bouncy and addictive game-play with many paths possible through the Mountain, expanding on the book's one true path.
- Reasonable variety of characters encourages replayability via the souls mechanic which unlocks different character tiers. (More higher skilled characters to choose from…)
- More DLC content still in development
- The engine shows great potential for future games.
- Unique turn based grid combat system rewards observation, positioning and experimentation.

Cons:
- Some bugs still remain; product still needs some polish.
- General linearity in scripted encounters leading to quick familiarity and a sense of repetition upon replay, which is critical to earn the souls required to unlock higher skilled character tiers.
- Combat can become tedious; possibly relying on to much player skill over character skill.
- Group combat rules for traditional Fighting Fantasy not fully implemented. (No blocking skill checks)
- The Maze of Zagor isn't really a maze.

That'll do for now!

You got me with turn based ;)

I should probably qualify that statement and call it what it truly is; a "simultaneous turn-based" combat system :D So aye, turn-based, but of a specific type. Basically you make your move or attack a square of choice and the monsters do something at the same time! (Move, turn to a side, attack…) then the game stops and lets you make your next choice.

Edit:
Bah! Who needs combat animations? I don't need to watch a table-top miniature swing a weapon. Spend money on improving the content and the mechanics/systems thanks. :)

Thanks for the initial views, Pessimeister. I'd read a full review, definitely! :)

I watched a brief amount of someone playing this and while it looks somewhat interesting it also looks very simplistic, which would get repetitive quickly, and the hopping while moving was a bit off putting because I'm guessing that table top gamers don't move their figurines like they're playing a children's board game (could be wrong here as my history is more pnp oriented).

I don't understand, you say "Combat can become tedious; possibly relying on to much player skill over character skill. " and yet combat is turn based? how does that make it rely on player skill if combat is not twitchy?

@ Wolfing. Best read my qualifying statement. The combat is simultaneous turn-based.

The player needs to pay attention to how the enemies move, the direction they face and in general observe their patterns over time to make best positioning for combat ability usage. This isn't something your character does obviously, thus it relies upon player skill.
There's some guess work involved to begin with, but over time you become proficient in predicting where enemies move and to take 'em out efficiently FF style. ;)

@ Voqar
This is a fighting fantasy derived game and to those who know the system, it is indeed very simplistic - that's part of its genuine charm in that it returns role-playing to a basic and essential level. That said, I've enjoyed my time with it a whole lot more than with a few modern cRPGs, namely Dragon Age: Inquisition which was full of some of the most horrid filler and dull busy work I've ever seen in a game.

I've managed to complete the game with two more characters from the epic tier, the Rhino-Man named "Twenty-Three" and the elf Gilfane. Both have their own individual quests within the mountain, the latter of which is quite possibly the best and most compelling additional content that I've experienced so far.

Last edited:
This is almost like my childhood dream game. It might not have that much content for outsiders, but it's a must have for fighting fantasy fans

Back
Top Bottom