What games are you playing now?

The original Deus Ex is incredibly good.

I had a vicious battle yesterday in Grimrock two with some nasty fauna. I'm not the best at dodging and weaving in blobbers so it was a challenge yet all my blokes lived and now we'll be exploring even deeper. At least I've better weapons now than a branch and bones. -p

I am playing Horizon Forbidden West and loving it. I have completed the main quest quite some time ago, but have yet to start the content of the expansion. But I am having so much fun with all the remaining side quests that that will take a while.

Even the side quests are fleshed out with cutscenes and small philosophical aspects of the post apocalyptic setting. For example: Were the ancients geniuses or selfish criminals destroying the world - or both? Or: What happens to an old warrior, when he gets dementia? I am running around and looking for further side quests or hidden stuff or even old voice messages to hear.

According to steam I am at 120 hours but far away from having seen most places in the world.

I am playing on normal and considering to restart on highest difficulty after completing everything.

However that will be tough and that is because of a mechanic, which is my biggest criticism: Like in many other console games you have boss fights, where you land in an arena with a boss and everything you learned about stealth or similar things is immediately useless and you are thrown back to your pure fighting skills. So basically you are forced to learn melee fighting skills only for the boss fights, which you can avoid in the rest of the game. That is lazy design in my eyes, I don't remember that from HZD, which I also replayed on highest difficulty at least once. ( I remember, however, that one of the later Deus Ex successors got big criticisms because of exactly the same design flaw and they later added a patch to allow a stealth approach for the main boss fight.)

Since I had no patience to go through this, I solved it in my current run by changing to story mode (the easiest mode) for about three boss fights. But when I restart on highest difficulty level, using that workaround that would make the run pointless. So I would have to get good enough in the melee skills to win the boss fights and I don't know yet, whether I will be patient enough for that.

But that is the only problem I encountered in the game and in all other aspects (story, immersion, lore, environment, exploration...) it is near perfect for my taste.

Last edited:
However that will be tough and that is because of a mechanic, which is my biggest criticism: Like in many other console games you have boss fights, where you land in an arena with a boss and everything you learned about stealth or similar things is immediately useless and you are thrown back to your pure fighting skills. So basically you are forced to learn melee fighting skills only for the boss fights, which you can avoid in the rest of the game. That is lazy design in my eyes, I don't remember that from HZD, which I also replayed on highest difficulty at least once.
I just had the same problem in HZD, but perhaps it's not all boss fights. I hope not, anyway. I found myself trapped in a relatively small area, without any place to hide or any obstacle I could put between myself and the enemies. It was possible to use (frantic) range combat, though; pure melee doesn't seem a viable option in HZD.

I just had the same problem in HZD, but perhaps it's not all boss fights. I hope not, anyway. I found myself trapped in a relatively small area, without any place to hide or any obstacle I could put between myself and the enemies. It was possible to use (frantic) range combat, though; pure melee doesn't seem a viable option in HZD.
Interesting, I didn't remember that as a problem in HZD, even on high difficulty. May be some of the challenges to earn medals or something? Or a real (unavoidable) boss fight?

Anyhow, what I said about melee above was a little bit too simple, may be. In principle you can fight the boss fights in HFW also with ranged weapons, but since there is no viable way to use cover etc. that doesn't really make a real difference in the problem I described. Traps etc. worked a little bit in HZD but in HFW the bosses are too fast, so you don't really have time for that. All in all I found the boss fights in HZD more managable than those in HFW.

@bkrueger I'm only 34 hours into HFW, but I'm really enjoying it as well so far. The exploration is fantastic.

Playing on Hard, and I've had a couple of tough fights, but nothing too frustrating yet. I think having recently played through The Surge still has me in sort off a souls mindset where I don't mind having to repeat boss fights until I win.

The game is beautiful. Playing on max settings with HDR, and I think it rivals games with ray tracing despite not having it.

20240328154905-1.jpg

20240402031459-1.jpg

20240403020504-1.jpg

20240402233218-1.jpg

Interesting, I didn't remember that as a problem in HZD, even on high difficulty. May be some of the challenges to earn medals or something? Or a real (unavoidable) boss fight?
It was one of the Cauldron missions to override more machines. I first thought it was part of the main quest, but after checking, I see it isn't. What surprised me is that it was supposed to be a level 8 mission, and I was almost 20. I took up several missions and monsters which were higher than my level without too much problem, but I found that encounter somewhat treacherous, even if I could beat it.

In the main quest, there's also an encounter with a corruptor, quite early in the game. It's in a small, enclosed aera, but it's not too hard to kill. Overall, the game isn't very hard (so far) on normal difficulty, but you can't always rely on a particular style.

It was one of the Cauldron missions to override more machines. I first thought it was part of the main quest, but after checking, I see it isn't. What surprised me is that it was supposed to be a level 8 mission, and I was almost 20. I took up several missions and monsters which were higher than my level without too much problem, but I found that encounter somewhat treacherous, even if I could beat it.
Yeah, I remember some of the Cauldron boss fights were pretty challenging. There was one where I had to face one of those giant alligators plus another machine at the same time, and that took me a few tries. Is that the one you're talking about?

Yeah, I remember some of the Cauldron boss fights were pretty challenging. There was one where I had to face one of those giant alligators plus another machine at the same time, and that took me a few tries. Is that the one you're talking about?
No, it was only a Bellowback and a flock of Watchers. Still, that stupid thing was pouring fire all over the place.

Can't wait to do the same with a Snapmaw. ;)

It's sort of nice that the game doesn't let you get too comfortable, though.

Last edited:
I've entered the railway station to the west of the 100 rads bar, in Stalker, in search for some family rifle of some other stalker dude, and I love how brutal the gameplay is. And the AI of the enemies is very impressive sometimes. They take shots, move around and hide, come back and take a few more.

I also love that the AI doesn't just trigger when I'm close to enemies. They will take pot-shots at me even if I'm very far away. That was one thing that killed the immersion for me, in Deus Ex. I've had scenarios where I was able to sneak in front of some armed dude, just because (I assume) the AI wasn't implemented to spot you that far away. But it naturally felt like they should spot you.

And now, in the open railway station, I'm actually having difficulty of where to create a funnel for all the enemies that will come for me. Otherwise they manage to surround me and then I'm dead in a few shots.

I'm currently playing Dungeonmans, a 2015 game which is still supported by it's (solo?) dev. Very fun roguelite game to do a run and see how far your dungeonman/women can go.

I'm still making progress in Wizardry 8 with my party that focuses on ranged combat. I've explored most areas before the Rapax areas and still having fun! The party is continuosly gaining might and although I'm playing on expert there are only occasional fights where the monsters defeat me.

My enthusiasm was dampened a bit when I wanted to enter Bayjin and both my NPCs, Vi and Sparkle, refused to go there. Because I was on the rescue mission for Glumph I didn't "convince" them by enterering the area with them being unconscious, but instead let them leave. Now I can't find Sparkle anymore and I fear that she drowned at the entry of the sea caves (aka a bug like Vi sometimes disappearing) :-( If so I have to think about who else I may take with me, if anybody.

Last edited:
On my second play through of Elden Ring. Man I really love this game. I'm already at the Mountaintops of the Giants and just found the map for this section of the game. I love how much more tense the exploration feels before you find the corresponding map. This time I'm playing a faith + dexterity build but leaning more and more towards mostly using incantations and less melee. I still whip out my trusty sword and shield when needed but spells are usually more fun. This time around I'm making sure to finish all the NPC quests since I messed up quite a few of them the first time around. Won't help Seluvis or the Dung Eater though. F those guys.
Favourite incantations right now are Lightning Bolt and Frenzied Burst.

Edit: hey! 1000 posts!

I WOULD be playing Helldivers 2 but not only does it crash like nothing else but it actually fucks up windows and breaks explorer, videos, web browsing, everything, until I reinstall my video drivers.

Other than that it's very fun. :)

I WOULD be playing Helldivers 2 but not only does it crash like nothing else but it actually fucks up windows and breaks explorer, videos, web browsing, everything, until I reinstall my video drivers.

Other than that it's very fun. :)
I tried playing Helldivers, even though I don't have a group to play with or frankly intended to get very far.
But my main complaint about it is how glued to the ground the player character feels. And how slow compared to the bugs.
That game again cemented the idea that I just don't have the time or patience for these type of co-op games.

I cleared the railway yard west of Rostok, in Stalker, but failed to make contact with the scientist stalker that was on the radio. It wasn't soon after hearing that radio communication, calling for help, that I then got the noticed that I failed it. I assume the NPC died or something. That's something kind of weird in this game. Since it seems NPCs, outside of main characters, can just up and die for any reason. It seems the game simulates the world even outside of what you directly see.

On the other hand, I got freaked the hell out when one of those pseudo dogs climbed one the destroyed builds I was in. I noticed that in this game, if an enemy sees you, they will find their way to you eventually.
I also killed one of those invisible cthlhu-humanoids, after planting enough lead into it. I was lucky it was down a level from me and couldn't find a way to me.

This time around I'm making sure to finish all the NPC quests since I messed up quite a few of them the first time around. Won't help Seluvis or the Dung Eater though. F those guys.
Yeah, it's not always easy not to miss one.

I started a 2nd playthrough, too (that I've put on pause until the DLC), and this time I made sure to grab my personal Dung Eater ash spirit. I don't know yet if it'll surpass the Mimic Tear or the Tiche, but it's well worth the effort if you can still get it.

In the main quest, there's also an encounter with a corruptor, quite early in the game. It's in a small, enclosed aera, but it's not too hard to kill. Overall, the game isn't very hard (so far) on normal difficulty, but you can't always rely on a particular style.
Ah, yes, the cauldrons could be tough. Interestingly, they were more fair in HFW, for my feeling, since in all of those I found places to play hide and seek with the machines, which was possible in some but not all cauldrons in HZD. Nonetheless I love the cauldrons in both games since they are so different from the outside world and since I love to override machines. Overriding one of these tyrannosaur thingies and watch it fight everything else is one of the best entertainments in the game(s).

I've finally managed to get to Act 4 in Rogue Trader after many a restart. From here will be all new experience for me so let's see how it goes (bit nervous as many players noted quality of the game drops sharply in Act 4 & 5).

Also playing Dragon's Dogma 2 in parallel. I sunk in almost 30 hours, on my way to next big city following the main storyline. Its such a strange experience - there are a lot I complain about (mainly the terrible console UI, playing inventory tetris & performance - fps drop in main city etc) but I kept coming back - it was becoming an unhealthy addiction until now. On the way to Battahl's been freaking insane especially because I decided to change my Arisen and Pawn's vocation now of all time. I got my ass kicked solidly and had to backtrack to nearest town to change my vocation back. Kinda salty atm and taking a break :p
I'm just at the end of Act 2 and I really am enjoying myself, but hopefully by the time I reach Act 4 they would have patched it I guess :d

Back
Top Bottom