What games are you playing now?

I did a quicksave earlier, but not a manual one, and it was apparently overwritten (maybe when I left the game?). All the auto-saves left were also during this long one-way part, and the previous manual save would have put me 2 weeks back.
I think I've touched on this before, but one thing I don't like about the Horizon games is how the saves work. It's nice that we can do both quick and manual saves, but it's annoying how it doesn't save the world state exactly how it is at that moment. It makes the autosaves almost kind of useless. I hate reloading an autosave that happened in the middle of a battle only to find those enemies are now gone.

Will see how it progresses. I'm aiming to play a melee build but no clue if that's viable.
I think you will struggle unless you are min maxing. You will need to fully dump both luck and attention. Int and personality will need to be cut back a lot as well. Strength and Dex would both have to be 10 and End near 10.

The middle stages of the game as pretty tough in ATOM 1.

I think I've touched on this before, but one thing I don't like about the Horizon games is how the saves work. It's nice that we can do both quick and manual saves, but it's annoying how it doesn't save the world state exactly how it is at that moment. It makes the autosaves almost kind of useless. I hate reloading an autosave that happened in the middle of a battle only to find those enemies are now gone.
Agreed, I saw a few times that things had disappeared or changed after reloading. It has a little arcade feeling to it. Also, it doesn't seem to always save before leaving the game, so I feel compelled to reach a fire and save manually each time.

Maybe PC players are used to a more predictable system than console players?

I'm giving Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen another go. My god, its rough.. I can't agree with anyone who says this is better than Dragon's Dogma 2 lol. There are bits done better than DD2 but can't say this is a better game.

I'm giving Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen another go. My god, its rough.. I can't agree with anyone who says this is better than Dragon's Dogma 2 lol. There are bits done better than DD2 but can't say this is a better game.
DD1 was released in 2012, so you're going back 12 years right after playing the sequel. I'm not surprised it seems rough by comparison.

DD1 was released in 2012, so you're going back 12 years right after playing the sequel. I'm not surprised it seems rough by comparison.
I think Dragon Age Origins aged better than this by comparison and DAO was out earlier than DDDA.

I thought I can handle console-y UI now since I have some experience with other Capcom games on PC (DD2, MH: World and Rise) but nope. I still can't stand DD1's UI. World is grey and dreadfully dull. Pawns sprout out their 1 liners constantly, its annoying me. Even the NPCs sound horrid, they sound less human than DD2 Pawns.

DD "veterans" keep harping on about how vocations were implemented better in DD1 than 2 but I'm not seeing that. Exploration is annoying as well because of short respawn timer. Map is significantly smaller than DD2 yet amount of backtracking remains just as high.

At this point, I really do think many people have rose tinted glasses on. Big time. Unless its the Dark Arisen component that is good, not the base game content.

I think you will struggle unless you are min maxing. You will need to fully dump both luck and attention. Int and personality will need to be cut back a lot as well. Strength and Dex would both have to be 10 and End near 10.

The middle stages of the game as pretty tough in ATOM 1.
Well, I hope the party members I assume I will get will be good then :D

I think Dragon Age Origins aged better than this by comparison and DAO was out earlier than DDDA.
Not sure I agree, but I think that's a strange comparison to make anyways since those are two completely different kinds of RPG.

As for UI, I never understood all the complaints personally. It's very customizable. Did you bother trying to customize it through the menu?

As for the NPCs and pawns, I'd expect those to feel primitive after playing DD2.

Not sure I agree, but I think that's a strange comparison to make anyways since those are two completely different kinds of RPG.
They are both RPGs released around those time period I played (I can't think of something else more similar that I played).
As for UI, I never understood all the complaints personally. It's very customizable. Did you bother trying to customize it through the menu?
No, I have not played around UI customisation and frankly, I don't really want to bother since I'm not really enjoying game enough to put that much effort. Unless you can literally bind Map to M or something.
As for the NPCs and pawns, I'd expect those to feel primitive after playing DD2.
Indeed. I think at best, I'm going to rush through main quests in DD1. I honestly can't see myself enjoying DD1 after playing DD2. Its like going back to BG1 from BG2.

Indeed. I think at best, I'm going to rush through main quests in DD1. I honestly can't see myself enjoying DD1 after playing DD2. Its like going back to BG1 from BG2.
Hey, I still enjoy BG1. ;)

If you're not having fun, I don't think you should force yourself to play even the main quest. There are too many other games out there that you'd probably have a better time with.

If you're not having fun, I don't think you should force yourself to play even the main quest. There are too many other games out there that you'd probably have a better time with.
Yep, I think I'm calling it. Hubby graciously offered to do an LP for me lol - as in, he will replay the game (he found out his save file is gone for some reason) and I will watch next to him from beginning to end.

(...)

Map is significantly smaller than DD2 yet amount of backtracking remains just as high.
DD1 map is not that large, really. But I can confirm that the amount of backtracking is HUGE :p

It was just recently that I found out an Eternal Ferrystone in my inventory. I really don't remember how I got it, but I'm making good use of it.

It was just recently that I found out an Eternal Ferrystone in my inventory. I really don't remember how I got it, but I'm making good use of it.
Anyone with Dark Arisen expansion gets one (the eternal ferrystone) - hubby told me last night lol

Anyone trying out V Rising? Apparently it's hit 1.0 today, so it's officially out of EA.
It looks kind of interesting, but I understand it doesn't really have a central narrative or something. They do have a path of enemies that you need to hunt down, spread across multiple "acts". But it doesn't much of a narrative.
It seems more of an diablo-style arpg with survival mechanics (basebuilding, gathering resources, etc etc).

I'm trying to resist the temptation to get it, since I have a feeling I won't stick with it.

I'm still playing Horizon Zero Dawn. It includes the Frozen Wilds DLC, which I finished today, or at least its main line. There's a ridiculous difficulty spike in several combats at the end that almost made me give up on the game - more combats against very difficult and sponge machines in a tight area. I simply switched to story mode and resumes normally after that part (unfortunately, it wasn't possible to leave the area and get back later, or even to reload before the whole thing).

I don't know what went through their heads when they designed that part. I hated it. After that, I watched FightinCowboy and he apparently had troubles in the last combat, too, which he didn't like either (video).

And of course, no way to refill health potions during most of the quest, so I almost ran out.
One additional remark on this: Since I am just doing this quest myself I tried something for curiosity: You trigger the last fight (against the fireclaw) by making an override. (And you are respawned at this situation, when you die in the fight.) From this point you can, in fact, run back the whole way out of the dungeon (after half of the way you can even fast travel ). So you could do other things, level up, buy health potions, equipment and so on (and in fact I just did the latter). So there is not really a lock-in, in spite of the situation giving that impression.

One additional remark on this: Since I am just doing this quest myself I tried something for curiosity: You trigger the last fight (against the fireclaw) by making an override. (And you are respawned at this situation, when you die in the fight.) From this point you can, in fact, run back the whole way out of the dungeon (after half of the way you can even fast travel ). So you could do other things, level up, buy health potions, equipment and so on (and in fact I just did the latter). So there is not really a lock-in, in spite of the situation giving that impression.
Now I managed to beat the fireclaw in the Horizon Zero Dawn expansion. On highest difficulty level this is really difficult! I surely tried it thirty or more times and at some moments I doubted if I will ever manage it.

Since I played this already at release, I must have managed this before. But I forgot the exact way, how I did it back then, so it was a new challenge again..

In any case it is an deeply satisfying feeling to get this done, comparable to the boss fights in Elden Ring.

I wanted to play Fallout 3, but it kept crashing and I wasn't in the mood to try a 100 solutions to fix it, so I installed ATOM RPG instead.
If your interest comes back, the best way to play FO3 these days is via Tale of Two Wastelands that rebuilds the game's entirety within the FNV engine - and tosses on further fixes for good measure. Much like modding any Bethesda title, however, setting it up can be a daunting and time-consuming task.

Now I managed to beat the fireclaw in the Horizon Zero Dawn expansion. On highest difficulty level this is really difficult! I surely tried it thirty or more times and at some moments I doubted if I will ever manage it.

Since I played this already at release, I must have managed this before. But I forgot the exact way, how I did it back then, so it was a new challenge again..

In any case it is an deeply satisfying feeling to get this done, comparable to the boss fights in Elden Ring.
Impressive! Wasn't it too long?

Back
Top Bottom