Votes: 54 38.8%
  • Between 50 and 59

Votes: 23 16.5%
  • 60+

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Ancient, like Corwin

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters
Alright. When I voted yesterday, I was one of only two to be in the 30's category. Everyone else was older. Now that more of us have voted, I can see that a lot of us are in our thirties. That seems more like what I was expecting.

For you older guys, I'm wondering how you got into RPGs, and specifically cRPGs. Those of us currently in our mid-late thirties were kids and tweens during the heyday of the Gold Box RPGs. Did you guys get into those during college, and then stick with it? Or did you as teenagers start with Zork before we were even born?

My first contact with CRPG was Temple of Apshai in 86, but my real first loved CRPG was Wizardry 1 which I played in 87, just a few months before someone introduced me to Dungeons & Dragons in college. By the time the first 'Gold Box' game came out, I was already addicted to D&D, so when I got it (Pool of Radiance I think was the name?) I almost had an orgasm.

There are an awful lot of young people on this forum.
Or perhaps it is younger :)

Interesting to see that nearly 2/3rds are in what I would call the "mature" categories. I am 62 this year - so I am "grumpy".

If you allow me, one personal question for the children here. You have learned to talk, and I assume you've learned to walk. But have you stopped using diapers? :)))

pibbur who has forgot lots of the early stages of being human.

PS: It has to be said: In a couple of years, I may be among those using diapers. Not very likely, though, since at the moment, control and the passing of the unmentionable fluid is excellent. Better than many of his peers. DS.

Last edited:

I remember when I was at the university I was playing some MUD and felt too old for that shit. Then I met a guy that played the same MUD with his son. That's How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb. I mean, games. :D

44. My first video game may have been Pong. Started PC gaming as a kid on a Vic 20 -- text adventures and various games on cassette, where you'd have to push play on the tape drive repeatedly as you progressed.

Level 50, and another Pong victim.

I'm 45.
Mainly got into CRPGs due to tabletop RPGs (D&D at first, mostly), though I did play the odd roguelike on a friend's TRS-80 (Trashcan 80 we used to call it).

Shortly after getting into D&D, upgraded to a C64 (from a Vic20) and got into games like Ultima. The end.

45, I actually get less grumpy and more open minded with age though. I play stuff now that I wouldn't have touched with a 10 foot pole 10 years ago.
Same here!
I'm also healthier (mind and body) than I was 10 years ago. Quitting drinking helped ;)

Or did you as teenagers start with Zork before we were even born?

That's me. 58 and counting. As far as age group, I think the group is thinning just like our hair

Eh, am I the youngest here?
Maybe we should open a forum for you guys to share war stories. :p

I think you are indeed a minority here :)
I'm 54, but I fortunately don't know any war stories, besides the ones I saw on TV.

49 next month grumpy
Ya ain't grumpy yet. Wait until your doctor reveals what wonderful tests are in store for you next year. Hint: the WHOLE BOTTLE! :devil:

My first contact with CRPG was Temple of Apshai in 86…
Wolfing, thou art frugal!!

First one for me was Ultima 2. A friend of mine had Temple of Apshai on his Atari 800 but we didn't want to play that for long. Oh, and the Eamon adventures! That might have been before Ultima 2 - it was way too long ago to remember for sure.

Like, actually, 47.

Soul, Like Corwin.

Emotionally, below the options.

Back
Top Bottom