What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Did you like Rebecca's performance in it ( Ilsa Faust ) ? ( Just curious )

I thought it was a pretty good popcorn-munching, special-agent caper. Well-paced and coherent.

The pretty Swedish lady pretending to be British was also quite good, I thought.

Another rainy evening so I watched American Ultra which was ok but not great and the latest Mission Impossible which was excellent. The MI was the best yet and better than the Spectre.

Yes, practically everyone I've heard on the topic of MI5 (except joxer, of course) vs Spectre think MI5 is the better movie, which is annoying for me because I got bored of MI around part 2 or 3 and will now have to watch it on a small screen :roll:

Erm I didn't watch Spectre yet. Skipped it in cinema, if it's available for rental I can do it this weekend to share thoughts if I think it's better or worse than MI5 and why.
If it's not available for rent yet, ah well…

You know the drill. "Education" in satire, yes, sure, gimme gimme, but in other materials when it's a result of an ignorant fool, absolutely not! MI5 is not supposed to be a satirical spy movie like Kingsman was. Because of MI5 stepping on my toe, I slashed it down right away similar to metacritic trolls. Didn't even bother to "calculate" thrills, dialogues, story, acting, vistas, audio, etc. And explained with spilled milk cow.

Now if I see any similar idiocy in Spectre, won't be any less forgiving that I was towards MI5.

Saw The Revenant. Its better than Dancing With Wolves but not by alot.

I don't understand all the excitement about it at all. Hateful 8 was much better.

Saw The Revenant. Its better than Dancing With Wolves but not by alot.

I don't understand all the excitement about it at all. Hateful 8 was much better.

I am torn about these two movies on which is better and I fully admit I am a Tarantino fan boy.

I saw The Revenant last night. Amazing movie. Gorgeously shot. And I just loved the pure raw atmosphere it evoked. I loved the way the characters talked, even though I sometimes had issues understanding them. But my god, it was awesome. DiCaprio and Hardy were great.

And the bear scene was just nerve-wracking. Fantastically done.

Think I will watch The Hunger and The Man who Fell to Earth this weekend. Time to honor David Bowie. I have been listening to his music all week now it is time to see him as an actor.

Just watching the 80s Flash Gordon for the umpteenth time. So, so bad-good. Absolutely love it.

Just watching the 80s Flash Gordon for the umpteenth time. So, so bad-good. Absolutely love it.

I saw it at the movies when I was like 10 years old. I loved it as much as Star Wars at the time. Even at only 10 years old, Mings daughter, moved me deeply :) GIGGITY

I saw it at the movies when I was like 10 years old. I loved it as much as Star Wars at the time. Even at only 10 years old, Mings daughter, moved me deeply :) GIGGITY

*high five*, she was flipping deeee-vine 😍 Looks great for a 60 year old still!

Embrace your inner child and watch Tomorrowland. It had its weaknesses (slow start, a little too preachy near the end), but overall I haven't had that much unadulterated fun in a movie for a long time. It reminded me a bit of Spy Kids, which I also loved. Turn off your brain a bit and be amazed. A few scenes had us rolling on the floor laughing.

Fantastic performances by the two lead girls, too. Looking forward to seeing more of them in the future.

Last edited:
I've been watching some real dreck recently, barely anything worth mentioning. However, a notable nugget did turn up.

I got a load of movies in a bundle entitled "Magic and Fantasy", and although this sounded good, wow, it really brings home how utterly awful magic and fantasy was before Jackson made the Lord of the Rings movies. I tried to watch two in a row, Dazzle and The Sorcerer's apprentice, and I had to start skipping to the end in both movies at about half way. They were pretty much unwatchable. They're rated 5.6 and 4.6 respectfully on IMDB. I decided to not bother with the third entitled The Last Leprechaun after seeing it has a 3.5. It seems I was entirely lacking in my knowledge of the director David Lister who, it seems, has managed to keep making really crappy movies for decades without ever being told to stop.

Totally unenthused to go on with this set, I tried the Canterville Ghost because this one at least had Patrick Stewart as the ghost. And, amazingly, it was quite watchable. Nothing extraordinary, but just very watchable, something you wouldn't go out of your way to watch but if it was on you'd sit through it. It got a 6.3 on IMDB.

Which brings me onto my pick of the week:

Moby Dick (1998)

A TV-movie in two parts of one and a half hours each - starring, amongst others, Patrick Stewart, with a rare late cameo/bit part from Gregory Peck.

I'd never seen or read the story of Moby Dick before and the idea of ye olde naval adventure had me filled with trepidation, but I needn't have worried so much, this was enthralling from beginning to end with yet another captivating performance by Stewart. He doesn't even appear until about an hour into it, but the build up to his reveal is as good as him being there.

Another wonderful hidden treasure that would be well worth your time if you are in any way unfamiliar with the Moby Dick story. Not quite blockbuster movie epic, you still know you're watching a TV-movie but it's as close to perfect as a TV-movie will ever be. Has a 6.5 on IMDB. (If you have read the book, no it's not as good as the book etc).

I also saw El Cid (1961), the Heston, Loren classic which, it goes without saying, was a great use of 3 hours. 7.3 on IMDB

I also saw El Cid (1961), the Heston, Loren classic which, it goes without saying, was a great use of 3 hours. 7.3 on IMDB
Another example of imdb unfairness.
That classic deserves at least 9 if not more.

IMDB gets unfair from about 6.5 and up, but pretty much everything rated under 6.5 is usually spot-on. It's kind-of weird and I'm not sure why a lot of the time, would make for a good Doctorate for someone.

I stumbled across The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies while channel surfing last night and ended up watching it.

I had watched about 2/3 of An Unexpected Journey and about 1/2 of The Desolation of Smaug before either falling asleep or just turning them off out of boredom.

I somehow managed to watch all of TBoFA. I think mainly because that section of the book is my favorite, and I wanted to see how the battle unfolded in the movie.

In short, I thought it was terrible. Peter Jackson went beyond just taking some liberties with the story. It was almost a completely different story. That, and the parts where he tried to inject humor were just absurd.

I was pretty disappointed with what he did to Lord of The Rings, but what he did with The Hobbit was far worse imo.

It was probably entertaining to the average mainstream moviegoer, but as a long-time fan of Tolkien's work, I was embarrassed by it.

I was pretty disappointed with what he did to Lord of The Rings, but what he did with The Hobbit was far worse imo.

Yeah, LotR I think is much more of a 'right place right time' thing in terms of popularity. Personally I'd watch the Harry Potter movies over the LotR adaptations 10 times out of 10. And wouldn't watch the Hobbit ones regardless ... never made it all the way through one.

Back
Top Bottom