What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Watched Danish film Men & Chicken with actor Mads Mikkelsen who was acting as good as always.
Thought it was a comedy, but did not laugh once.
It was disturbing though in a way, and definetely memorable.

Also watched Death at a funeral with Peter Dinklage. I again expected a comedy, this one was clearly meant as a comedy, but it was at times rather silly. Again dome great actirs participating.

I'm quite looking forward to Tarantino's take on the movie/television genres, with Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I'll likely wait until the dvd is out though, or until it hits HBO to watch it.

I find most of Tarantino's movies very entertaining, but none of them more than that.

He has perfected hollow fun like no other director.

I've always wondered what a movie with actual meaning would be like, if Tarantino directed it.

It's obvious that he's arrogant way beyond his talent - but I think he's got a "real" movie in him, if he had the guts to try.

I guess we'll never know, though.

Kill Bill is probably the best of his works, though. Except, perhaps, for Pulp Fiction for its novelty.

Ironically, while I really liked Pulp Fiction - I more or less despise what it brought to modern action movies.

I've never found non-linear storytelling very interesting or compelling - and I don't particularly enjoy the over-indulgence when it comes to silly dialogue sequences.

It reminds me of the old Sam Spade films from the 40s. They went way beyond the plausible when it comes to dialogue and it became almost a parody of smart-ass delivery.

Not really my preference.

Trier is IMO hit in the bullseye or completely miss the target. No way you'll say mediocre about any of his works. You'll either yell masterpiece or will crown the biggest bullshit you've ever seen. At the same time, someone you know well will feel the opposite. ;)
Genius or charlatan it's hard to say, but definetly one of the most interesting authors out there.

Mediocre would be kind. He's all about himself and shocking the audience.

The only halfway decent thing he ever made was Riget - the TV show.

The rest is a bunch of derivative crap or amateur hour shlock - mostly made up of established works he's trying to emulate.

Haven't seen Melancholia, though. Don't intend to either. The last movie from him I watched was Antichrist - and it was Tarkovsky combined with a pile of shit.

I recently flew overseas to Asia and then back again to the Us and those 6 movies were more then I have watched in a year.

But i really liked the movie "About Time" with Domhnal Gleeson and Bill Nighy.
"The Man who invented Christmas" was a close second but I love Dickens so it was to be expected.

First Man 8/10

I'm not the biggest fan of the subject matter or Ryan Gosling - but this was pretty special. Amazingly immersive piece of film-making with an actual soul. The music is very powerful as well.

First Man - overrated bullshittery. Deliberate lack of eloquence prevents me to write in detail.
Avoid at all costs.

Hum. Two vastly different - opinions. Do we believe the one with a few details or the one uttered in haste ?

First Man 8/10

I'm not the biggest fan of the subject matter or Ryan Gosling - but this was pretty special. Amazingly immersive piece of film-making with an actual soul. The music is very powerful as well.

First Man - overrated bullshittery. Deliberate lack of eloquence prevents me to write in detail.
Avoid at all costs.

Believe an opinion?

Opinions are subjective. I'm pretty sure both are entirely genuine.

joxer is many things - but he doesn't strike me as a liar.

As for the film, it naturally depends on your preferences.

Well there is a question of the quality of hte movie vs the enjoyment of the movie. I wouldn't say he is a liar but he certainly rages over very nit picking stuff. A game not having enough sex doesn't mean it is a lousy game that must be avoided....

Believe an opinion?

Opinions are subjective. I'm pretty sure both are entirely genuine.

joxer is many things - but he doesn't strike me as a liar.

As for the film, it naturally depends on your preferences.

So I watched The House that Jack Built, and I wasn't impressed.

It wasn't terrible, and I was even quite intrigued for a good portion of it, but in the end I was disappointed. He tried to go all David Lynch in the last 20 minutes and it just left me scratching my head.

Someone mentioned American Psycho and said Jack was better. I have to disagree. Jack is what you have if you took American Psycho and drained most of the personality out of it.

Matt Dillon was good though. I've always liked the guy and think he's a little underrated as an actor.

So I watched The House that Jack Built, and I wasn't impressed.

It wasn't terrible, and I was even quite intrigued for a good portion of it, but in the end I was disappointed. He tried to go all David Lynch in the last 20 minutes and it just left me scratching my head.

Someone mentioned American Psycho and said Jack was better. I have to disagree. Jack is what you have if you took American Psycho and drained most of the personality out of it.

Matt Dillon was good though. I've always liked the guy and think he's a little underrated as an actor.

David Lynch would never do something that obvious though, but i get what you mean. I agree that he does not have much of a personality or rather it's not very well established, suddenly he has a family etc. It often feels like Trier just said "fuck it, i want him to be like this now, because that could make a really disturbing scene!"

Yeah without Dillon this movie wouldn't be very good at all.

Well there is a question of the quality of hte movie vs the enjoyment of the movie. I wouldn't say he is a liar but he certainly rages over very nit picking stuff. A game not having enough sex doesn't mean it is a lousy game that must be avoided….

Well, I would never - ever - "trust" his opinion, because I think his reasons are utterly ridiculous half of the time.

But I would never put a value on it. I'm just a very different person and I obviously have very different reasons for enjoying things :)

To me, First Man is a very strong movie - but it's not a typical Hollywood movie. It's very much about the personality of Neil Armstrong - and it's mostly centered on the good and bad aspects of his family life. But the sequences with the space/flight stuff are incredibly authentic. At least, that's how they felt to me.

I watched Get Out, a horror movie about a white woman who takes her black boyfriend home to meet her definitely not racist middle class parents. I enjoyed it more than I expected - it was surprisingly funny and almost touching in places, very well acted by the leads, and utterly bonkers. The first half was a masterclass in the "wtf is going on here" vibe with lots of weird characters and awkward situations. The final act became totally absurd but I kinda found myself running with it.

Can't find through forum search if I wrote about that one, "get" and "out" are too short and too common words sadly.

But Get Out is definetly a gem everyone should see. At first it made me uncomfortable, I was like oh no yet another sjw garbage, but it took the crazy turn fast and kept building on it. Of course, sjws will be disappointed with that movie, but me? It's basically trolling them, I loved it! The whole, not just the trolling part. :)
There is still hope for Hollywood.

Not sure why imdb marked it as horror hybrid, it's not disgusting nor scary really. I'd leave just thriller, but well, that's just me I guess.

I watched two films over the past two days, Where to Invade Next and Fahrenheit 11/9. I found both to be quite similar to horror movies, in that you don't want to watch but it's difficult to tear your eyes from it. Both are chock full of nasty little things called facts, which would likely offend most viewers. I found them both well worth watching.

I saw Get Out when it first hit HBO over the summer, I think it was. I didn't think it would be something I'd care for, I knew absolutely nothing about the movie prior to watching it, but I was fascinated the entire length of the film. I thought it was quite good, especially by today's standards.

Sadly, I find those two documentaries very shallow. Highly entertaining most definetly, but IMO he needed to dig a bit deeper. For example you can't just go being fascinated with Ferragosto ignoring what exact impact it has on everything else.

Nitpicking aside, also IMO, for anyone who avoids documentaries because many tend to be very boring and patronizing, both mentioned are worth a shot.

Back
Top Bottom