What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Probably I am. I mean, he makes his case by mentioning titles I refuse to watch, for example Irishman and Two Popes. Was it Golden Globe or Golden Raspberry speech?

How about a fact that shouldn't surprise you: I did not, nor ever will, watch The Godfather trilogy.
I believe I had my share of gangsters and Hoffa movies and lost desire to see another dead horse beating ever again decades ago.

Additionally, seems I should, beside drama/war/biography/history movies or series, add prequels to my "avoid" filter.
For whatever reason Netflix thinks it's an awsome idea to serialize a story about nurse Ratched:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7423538/
Drama series about a younger version of the sadistic Nurse Ratched from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.
I have an urge to vomit. What's next? An anthology about "young" cpt Louis Renault from Casablanca? Stop with artificial milking of masterpieces already.

Sounds another solid case of a guy telling others not to tell others what they must do or not do.

And just like the crowdfunded scene told there had stuff in store...

Future is known: movies will be as crappy as this guy depicts them to be but they will be crap sweet to his mouth.

He's exactly on point, you must have been living under a rock for 10 years.
…and who the hell doesn't know one of the most well known comedians of the latest 20 years..

Considering that streaming is not ten years old, living under a rock is the only excuse possible until streaming kicks in.

Another enlightening author whose work is going to be missed on death bed, another regret among many others, that and not playing TW3.

No work is going to be missed. Also, everybody dies.

It's only your choice what will you care the most about: art, work or death. Before you're gone too.

Going to watch The Last Jedi with a friend today. I'm expecting a disaster :-D

In the meantime, I have watched Sully again. Great, great movie. Tom Hanks is top-notch as always.

I watched the Grand Seduction last night, which is a film about a small town in Newfoundland trying to attract a new physician to move in and take care of the population. It's a nice quirky little flick, lots of good humour included.

In the middle of 11.23.63. I read the book a couple of years ago and the stumble across this blue-ray. The book is really good - the video is not so bad but not as good as the book.

I agree, You, the novel is much better than the television version. I particularly enjoyed how King focused on some minutia changes as well, of course there were far more drastic alterations but some of my favourites were the ones I never saw coming. The series isn't awful but, by all means, read the book. Even if King isn't a favourite, the story is pretty good.

Jordan is a good actor but I can't stand him, too cocky. My friend loves both creeds, I don't, same old same old ...

I saw a movie last night called Hogan's Goat, which was more like a stage production captured in film form, staring Faye Dunaway. It really wasn't very good, although it was great fun trying to decipher some of the Irish dialects.

Best picture Oscar nominees (for rest of categories follow the link):
https://oscar.go.com/nominees
Ford v Ferrari
The Irishman
Jojo Rabbit
Joker
Little Women
Marriage Story
Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood
Gisaengchung
I have no idea why Knives Out isn't there.

In the cesspool part I've already said 1917 will win. Subconsciously hoping I'm wrong, there are two reasons why I think that.
The first reason is that current political climate needs a war theme in any awardwinner headlines.
The second reason is appreciation of shallow cinematography by critics.

No I didn't watch nor will 1917. It's a drama/history/biography/war and everyone already knows I don't care about these and watch only if recommended by a trustworthy friend who knows a lot about my taste.

But I did something else. imdb user reviews. Not all, there are tons of those, but read quite a few 10/10s, 1/10s and those who claim it's a mediocre experience.
Go do it yourself. Reading a bunch of those between lines it's obvious that 1917 is a style over substance boring drama. Which is exactly what critics adore. And some of imdb users, okay.

Again, I hope I'm wrong and wouldn't mind even that silly Jojo a winner over 1917.

--------------------------------------------

There is this Countdown app on android phones that "predicts" when you'll die.
Install it and check yourself if true. :p

There is also a movie Countdown about that same app… Criminally underrated.
It wasn't created by masters like Raimi or Carpenter thus it's not perfect (forced romance, not enough space for comic relief characters), but on the other hand it's much better than it's score suggests.
The idea is modern as everyone installs everything on their phone and the movie is trying to warn that not everything is benign through a fantasy story. Characters are good, acting too, you won't be bored any single minute and jumpscares are without eardrums exploding volume pumped up retardness.
Not a mustwatch, but if you need something to entertain you without taking itself serious, go for this one.

This is the first full feature film written and directed by Justin Dec, and I definetly want to see what's he gonna film next.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom