What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

The fact that they starred Shia LaBeouf was enough for me to avoid them.

I never understood the internet hate for Shia LeBeouf. As far as I see, he's just your average actor. I think I only saw him in one other movie. I just checked, I think it's Eagle Eye. But I don't remember anything about it, except that there's a rogue AI in it? Oh, and I also saw him in the "Just do it" meme.

I find the hate for him, similar to the hate the internet has for Nickleback. That's another thing I just don't get. And Nickleback actually have some decent rock songs.

Anyways, maybe it's not for me to know. :D

LaBeouf isn't just a mediocre actor, he's also known for plagiarizing other people's works.

Really? Had no idea about that.
Oh boy… I'm really starting to wonder about you. ;)

I'm not worried in the slightest. Though I know you're kidding. Or at least I hope :D

I can enjoy a lot of things, from the most intellectually challenging and profound to the most consumer/popcorn/turn-your-brain-off stuff. There's a time for everything.

Really? Had no idea about that.

Yeah, it's pretty embarrassing. From Wikipedia...

On December 17, 2013, LaBeouf released his short film Howard Cantour.com to the Internet; shortly thereafter, several bloggers noted its close similarity to Justin M. Damiano, a 2007 comic by Ghost World creator Dan Clowes. Wired journalist Graeme McMillan noted at least three similarities in their article, one of which was that the opening monologue for the short and the comic were identical. LaBeouf would later remove the film and claim that he did not intend to copy Clowes but was instead "inspired" by him and "got lost in the creative process." He followed this up with several apologies via Twitter writing, "In my excitement and naiveté as an amateur filmmaker, I got lost in the creative process and neglected to follow proper accreditation", and "I deeply regret the manner in which these events have unfolded and want @danielclowes to know that I have a great respect for his work". Clowes responded by saying "The first I ever heard of the film was this morning when someone sent me a link. I've never spoken to or met Mr. LaBeouf. I actually can't imagine what was going through his mind." LaBeouf was criticized over his apology, with some sites such as The A.V. Club noting that the apology itself appeared to have been lifted from a 2010 post on Yahoo! Answers.

Since the initial discovery of the plagiarism of Clowe's work, LaBeouf's other work has come under scrutiny. News outlets reported that LaBeouf's graphic novels, Let's Fucking Party and Stale N Mate, had been plagiarized from Benoît Duteurtre's The Little Girl and the Cigarette and Charles Bukowski's Assault.

In January 2014, LaBeouf spoke about the plagiarism accusations with Bleeding Cool writer Rich Johnston, where he stated that he saw copyright laws as too restrictive and that they did not allow for ideas to flow freely. LaBeouf later tweeted a description of his next project, Daniel Boring (a reference to David Boring, another comic created by Clowes). The description of the project was also taken word-for-word from a description by Clowes of his comic. Clowes' attorney, Michael Kump, has since sent a cease-and-desist letter to LaBeouf's attorney, which LaBeouf posted on Twitter.

Copyright laws are too restrictive? Lol... ok Shia.

I'm not worried in the slightest. Though I know you're kidding. Or at least I hope :D

I am kidding. I'm not a fan of Nickleback, but they must be popular for a reason, right? :)

Yeah, it's pretty embarrassing. From Wikipedia…

Copyright laws are too restrictive? Lol… ok Shia.

Yeah, not a good look.

But about stealing other people's stuff, I think there's a pottential to do it without being aware. In the sense that you see or read something, and years later you think you get an idea that's all yours, without being immediately aware of the source of inspiration. Of course in that case, I think you could admit that it's likely you were inspired upon it being pointed out to you. But I can also see someone being hardheaded and refusing to admit the possibility. But regardless, I wouldn't want to be in that situation.
I am kidding. I'm not a fan of Nickleback, but they must be popular for a reason, right? :)

It's funny, at one time I feel they were pretty popular, but then I just started seeing a wave of general hate towards them. Not sure if I just caught it last, or something. But it might have been to do with one of their albums being a lot more pop than actual rock. And from that moment on, I feel I only notice dislike towards them. But regardless, the main guy has a good voice. I think it's hard to argue against that. But tastes are tastes, I guess. And I range very broadly with mine, from Cardi B's WAP (not sure why I picked on this one :D) all the way to Pink Floyd, and everything inbetween.

Yeah, not a good look.

But about stealing other people's stuff, I think there's a pottential to do it without being aware. In the sense that you see or read something, and years later you think you get an idea that's all yours, without being immediately aware of the source of inspiration. Of course in that case, I think you could admit that it's likely you were inspired upon it being pointed out to you. But I can also see someone being hardheaded and refusing to admit the possibility. But regardless, I wouldn't want to be in that situation.

When something is the exact same word for word, I think it's pretty obvious that it wasn't just inspiration.

In fairness to Sheila Beef, I did think he was good in The Peanut Butter Falcon.

Well now, it's a bit off-topic, but seeing as we were talking about Sheila Beef being a douchebag… Louis Theroux interviewed his ex-girlfriend this week, describing her abuse. I find her extremely convincing.

Full podcast is here, with a lot more discussed, starting at 46:46.

I should probably have put this in P&R, but it was just a coincidence that we were talking about him, and then this came up on Louis Theroux's podcast, which I listen to sometimes.

Let's take it to P&R if you want to get into it.

Are you upset because I didn't include a ;) there? It was a joke. I wouldn't pay to see him get a beatdown.

I'd still watch though.

Thomas Ã* Becket is currently having a very good laugh.

I should probably have put this in P&R, but it was just a coincidence that we were talking about him, and then this came up on Louis Theroux's podcast, which I listen to sometimes.

Let's take it to P&R if you want to get into it.

I do not wish to get 'into' it, at this moment in time I'm merely exchanging one-liner gags with our esteemed expert on such matters, which I don't believe is in any way political and will be quickly over with.

However, maybe next time you could remember this is the movie thread, not the red-top "oh, you mentioned that person, oh boy, do I have some juicy stuff about that person" thread.

I shan't bother with a 'who started it', and some talk of stars is inevitable, but, obviously, just don't get over-excited when certain people are mentioned and it's normally not too much of an issue...

Don't make a problem where there isn't one, Lackblogger. It's perfectly normal for threads to go off on slight tangents, and it's not usually a problem. If it looks like it's going to turn into a long and contentious off-topic debate, it's better to spin-off into P&R.

Let's not take up any more of the movie thread with this.

Don't make a problem where there isn't one, Lackblogger. It's perfectly normal for threads to go off on slight tangents, and it's not usually a problem. If it looks like it's going to turn into a long and contentious off-topic debate, it's better to spin-off into P&R.

Let's not take up any more of the movie thread with this.

Yes dear, the 12 posts prior to mine aren't "getting into one", but as soon as I post one single one-liner, it's all of a sudden panic stations..

OH YES, I GET THE PICTURE ALRIGHT...

I watched Get Out tonight.

I seem to recall some Watchers saying it was pretty good. I found it mildly interesting, but I didn't think it was scary in the least. Also, the ending was ridiculously far-fetched and downright silly.

Back
Top Bottom