What to play during the drought?

dashavingo

Traveler
Big Computer RPG fan, but mostly not thrilled by most of the indie titles. Still, liked Demonicon enough to finish it, and am playing the early-access Blackguards (more inspired). Feel like we are in a bit of drought until Dragon's Age and Witcher III arrive.

So... what to play? Tried Risen 2 even though I'm not much on Pirates and the reviews were meh (it bored me silly).

Could anyone recommend some sleeper RPG's I might have missed?

Thanks-!

I'm replaying Fallout 3. I had played it when it came out, before all the DLC. This time I'm playing the DLC with just my favorite bits from the regular game. If you have an old fave that has a bunch of DLC you haven't played, that might tide you over. If you like multiplayer, Path of Exiles seems awfully popular. Haven't tried it myself as MMO's aren't my thing.

If you play one of the Fallouts with a thirst mod, you could have a drought during your drought ;)

Currently playing BG: EE and BG2: EE. After that I'll give Dragon Age or Mass Effect a go I think. Recently played the Gothic games. I might also give M&M another whirl soon.

So far, 2013 has been a fairly poor year in terms of RPGs in my opinion, but 2014 should be very good.

Did you play Drakensang: The River of Time ?

Or the Game of Thrones RPG?

Alpha Protocol, which was a bad shooter but a good RPG-mapped-to-shooter-controls?

Drought? Avadon 2 just out, The Shadow Sun arriving soon for iPad, Divinity Original Sin coming soon ...

Yes txa, drought on PC.
Meanwhile, as you've noticed, phones are flooded. With worse and "worser".

dashavingo, recent indie that's obviously a PC game, that's fun, no endless/annoying respawns and doesn't contain savepoints? Start with Expeditions:Conquistador.

drought? DROUGHT? LOL and here I am juggling my time to decide what to play!
EDIT: Oh wait, I guess I have to say, I've been playing RPGs in the PS3 :) But still, even if I hadn't, my Steam library has like 30 games. Oh wait, and there's Europa Universalis 4 that soaks whatever extra time I can find.

Yes txa, drought on PC.
Meanwhile, as you've noticed, phones are flooded. With worse and "worser".

dashavingo, recent indie that's obviously a PC game, that's fun, no endless/annoying respawns and doesn't contain savepoints? Start with Expeditions:Conquistador.

Well, he mentions Dragon Age 3, so obviously PC gaming is not a priority ;)

Yep, we're definitely in a drought, but I've felt like that for the last few years. The best thing to do is to revisit some of the older games. Hit up some Arx Fatalis, or maybe some of the Ultimas or Might and Magics. Maybe take a look at Frayed Knights if you want a more modern take on the first person party RPG.

I'm thinking of heading back into the DC wasteland soon, but with two PhD interviews coming up I probably shouldn't. :p

I feel overwhelmed to be honest.
Work has taken away so much of my spare time that I had as a student.

I seem to only make time for short bursts of gaming which don't lend themselves well to RPGs. Part of why I played a lot of LoL lately with some Crusader Kings in between.

I just bought the Witcher for 2.50 on GOG so I started that one last evening for an hour. Only got through the tutorial area. In a little village now. Probably going to enjoy that this weekend.

Combat at the start is quite annoying though imo. Maybe it'll get better once it gets a bit more challenging...

Great suggestions! Even the games I already played (Drakensang, Game of Thrones RPG) where sleepers I just happened upon and enjoyed. I'm firmly a PC gamer. Gonna maybe give Alpha Protocol a try. Pladio, I'm jealous you have the whole Witcher 2.5 ahead of you! Best game ever!

I was having fun with the latest Might and Magic, but got stuck at a point where defeating the (current) main enemy just seemed a case of churning out cannon fodder, and even that wasn't enough to push me over. Is Paper Sorcerer on GOG? Will give the Expeditions: Conquistador game another look (barely scratched the surface).

Sorry to say, if a game has early 90's graphics, I just can't overlook it. A lot of the indie titles lose me this way. Doesn't have to be a graphic powerhouse, but I can't stand baldurs gate style old school isometric. Also, Game of Thrones, despite crap reviews, was so well-written that I forgave much and really enjoyed it. Can't wait for the new Divinity! (Loved the RPG preceding; Dragon Commander for me was just a standard RTS in pretty clothes--- bleh!).

Any other suggestions appreciated! Gothic 3 worth sticking out? Risen 2 better than it first seems? Please report! Thanks- d.

Yep, we're definitely in a drought, but I've felt like that for the last few years. The best thing to do is to revisit some of the older games. Hit up some Arx Fatalis, or maybe some of the Ultimas or Might and Magics. Maybe take a look at Frayed Knights if you want a more modern take on the first person party RPG.

I'm thinking of heading back into the DC wasteland soon, but with two PhD interviews coming up I probably shouldn't. :p

Good advice on this thread.

Just finishing up Avadon 2(good game also), and waiting for Divinity: Original Sin down the road as my next big game. I've had Arx Fatalis from GOG on my computer for a long time so maybe now is the time to start playing it.
Any mods recommended for this one? On the GOG forums they talk a lot about the Arx Libertatis mod, anybody try this one?

Combat at the start is quite annoying though imo. Maybe it'll get better once it gets a bit more challenging…
You can change the difficulty, can't you? I can't remember if you can do that mid-game. But I think you can safely play TW1 on Hard without even bothering with potions, the same goes for TW2. Except one battle in the small village, which is probably the toughest in the game.

But I think you can safely play TW1 on Hard without even bothering with potions, the same goes for TW2. Except one battle in the small village, which is probably the toughest in the game.

There are a few places that would be pretty tough in TW1 without using potions, but overall it's not a very difficult game. I found TW2 much more difficult though, and I don't see the average gamer finishing it (on Hard) without utilizing alchemy.

I enjoyed Risen 1, but had a hard time getting into Risen 2 (not a pirate fan), but I stuck it out and to my surprise it turned out to be a very good RPG. Let me put it this way, if you like PB games you should play Risen 2. Gothic 3 is worth completing to get closure on the Gothic saga. After all the comunity patches its pretty good, and you being a graphics whore should appreciate the beautiful visuals.

Risen 2 gets better - maybe even pretty good, but there's quite a lot of mediocrity until then. ;)

I'm not sure why ppl say Risen2 sux or is close to it.
I had enough fun with it to replay it (two sides to pick).

But as with other games, I'll spit on DLC milkschemes any day. Risen2 has/had 3 DLC and I've never bought nor will buy Air Temple DLC (other two came with preorder or whatnot in my game). While ppl say Risen2 went backwards with the quality, I'm not in that wagon, I still say this is a PB game and it's fun. But PB deserves a minus. For making DLC crap.

Make dozens of crap phonegames outside of existing franchise and milk phonesuckers if you want, but don't con fans. Just don't.

Back
Top Bottom