Votes: 23 19.0%
  • 2001-2005

Votes: 12 9.9%
  • 2006-2010

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 2011-2016

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters
I wasn't very old at the time either but old enough to drive 60 miles to Detroit and pick it up at their office. The was a a Space shooting game that was pretty decent, Phaser Patrol that I also had that was sort of like Star Raiders.

The Goldbox games, Ultima Underworld 2, and to a lesser extent Eye of the Beholder did it for me in the early 90s.

I think it was 1985, since that was the release year of "The Bard´s Tale" (although it might have been 1986). I was very young at the time but it was still love at first sight, I spent many hours making hand-drawn maps of the environments and starting over with different character classes.

TBT was (probably) not the first crpg I ever tried/played, but it was the title that got me hooked. After that, I remember loving "Eye of the Beholder", "Ultima Underworld" & "Ultima VII", same thing with "Betrayal at Krondor" and so on, and so on.

Last edited:
1977 or thereabouts for first edition pnp dnd with friends.

Much later, 3D graphics, of all things, got me to play my first crpg, nwn. That must have been around 2002?

1991-1995 for me. Though I think that is a pretty large timespan for RPGs considering how much was going on there with tons of different games.

My first rpgs were:
Realms of Arkania Trilogy
Eye of the Beholder Trilogy
Lands of Lore 1
Dark Sun - Shattered Lands

which then also opened doors to tons of other games:
Ishar Trilogy
Stonekeep
Wizardry 7
Dungeon Master 2

My three big games were Bard's Tale 3, Pool of Radiance (the original) and Wizardry 6.
After those there was no going back.

My grandpa also had some unusual Wizardry clone on his Apple. That was probably my first rpg, but I'm not sure what it was called or when exactly that was. I also only clocked in around 5 hours or so, most of which time I was dying. :/

Hmm. Everyone is mentioning the games that got them into the genre, so I might as well add mine. :)

Zelda for NES. I was a console gamer for the better part of my life, and this adventure/RPG game for the Nintendo Entertainment System was one of the first I fell in love with. In school we would all give each other hints and tips as to how to beat the game and find all the secret stuff.

Final Fantasy IV for SNES. I remember renting this and just being in awe that the previous renter had a huge, high-level party that simply looked awesome. I would load up that save and just mess around, most of the time with my jaw on the floor at how awesome everything was. :D Eventually I started my own game and had a lot of fun with it.

However, the mack daddy of them all - Chrono Trigger for SNES. This was the game that officially made me fall deeply in love with the RPG genre. It was simply magical at the time. It is the first game that I literally kept over 30 days late from the game store, to where they eventually called my mom and told her there was a $20+ tab for keeping the game so late! Of course, games were like $2 for a 3 day rental back then, so amassing $20 of late fees was no small feat! She paid the fees and I re-rented the game again.

I would also play hookey from school just to play this game, and even missed my bus on a few occasions because I would wake up early in the morning just to play before having to go to school! Also, I took my entire "Tech Ed" class at the time to write fan-fiction about the game on a spare computer. The teacher came by one day and asked what I was working on. I showed him, he read it and was very impressed. Funnily enough, he told me to keep going and forget about the actual work we were supposed to be working on! That class was something else.

So, I would say those are the big 3 for me. Of course, there were many more that I would rent from the video game store, including other Final Fantasy games, Zelda: A Link To The Past, and many more. If it looked remotely like an RPG, I rented it and probably loved it. Yes, I am a lifer RPG nerd and would have it no other way! :)

I am a real newbie to rpg's and only starting in 2011. I had a misstart with final fantasy 13 (could not get into, although should go back and replay to see if my opinion has changed) and then played elder scrolls:eek:blivion which hooked me big time. It was all i could think about. Since then I have been playng catch up. As for table top I did play a bit of d&d in the early 80's.

Hmm ... got into AD&D in 1985, but I think Ultima III hooked me in 1984 ...

"True awakening", as someone called it earlier in the thread, was when I bought Might & Magic 1 not long after it was released (1986?). I did play RPG'ish/RPG-lite games before that, though, so I picked "1985 and earlier" in the poll.

Around 1983 with D&D Basic (red box) and Expert (blue box) for tabletop rpgs (I was 13-14).

Either Ultima 4 or The Bard's Tale on C64 would be the first crpgs I owned.

Hmm. Everyone is mentioning the games that got them into the genre, so I might as well add mine. :)

Zelda for NES. I was a console gamer for the better part of my life, and this adventure/RPG game for the Nintendo Entertainment System was one of the first I fell in love with. In school we would all give each other hints and tips as to how to beat the game and find all the secret stuff.

Final Fantasy IV for SNES. I remember renting this and just being in awe that the previous renter had a huge, high-level party that simply looked awesome. I would load up that save and just mess around, most of the time with my jaw on the floor at how awesome everything was. :D Eventually I started my own game and had a lot of fun with it.

However, the mack daddy of them all - Chrono Trigger for SNES. This was the game that officially made me fall deeply in love with the RPG genre. It was simply magical at the time. It is the first game that I literally kept over 30 days late from the game store, to where they eventually called my mom and told her there was a $20+ tab for keeping the game so late! Of course, games were like $2 for a 3 day rental back then, so amassing $20 of late fees was no small feat! She paid the fees and I re-rented the game again.

I would also play hookey from school just to play this game, and even missed my bus on a few occasions because I would wake up early in the morning just to play before having to go to school! Also, I took my entire "Tech Ed" class at the time to write fan-fiction about the game on a spare computer. The teacher came by one day and asked what I was working on. I showed him, he read it and was very impressed. Funnily enough, he told me to keep going and forget about the actual work we were supposed to be working on! That class was something else.

So, I would say those are the big 3 for me. Of course, there were many more that I would rent from the video game store, including other Final Fantasy games, Zelda: A Link To The Past, and many more. If it looked remotely like an RPG, I rented it and probably loved it. Yes, I am a lifer RPG nerd and would have it no other way! :)

Chrono Trigger. "magical". Nuff said :)

As a full, red blooded straight male I can only imagine what it's like for a woman to feel woo'd, seduced and swept away on another worldly romantic dream. And after playing Chrono Trigger that picture not only becomes clearer, it dresses me up and drags me in.

Zelda for NES.
Now that you mentioned Zelda, for me it must have been Final Fantasy Adventure aka Mystic Quest for the Gameboy in ~1989 that put me on the right track. IIRC it was very similar to Zelda, but with a few more RP elements. There was a real FF game too (Final Fantasy Legend?) but back then I preferred the adventure type gameplay. It wasn't until ~1993 with Ambermoon / Realms of Arkania that I got more invested in and fell in love with the RPG genre.

Another Methuselah here - started on 1st ed of the basic DnD red box set somewhere around '84 I think.

I played Ultima 1 or 2 on my friends C64 I think it was, that was probably ~1985. Kings Quest on PC around the same time. Gold box games on a mates C64 '89 - '90

I dabbled in crpg's once I got my own PC in 91 but was mainly into roguelikes, sim's and wargames initially then online games like Warbirds, WW2OL and Eve for years. I did play Everquest and DAoC for a while but only got into the teen's before the grind got me. I also rememeber playing Ultima 5, 6 and 7 as well as Underworld - never finished. EotB 1 and Dungeon Hack.

It wasn't until I had a kid and online gaming became problematic… Can't pause things. I had MW and NWN1 sitting on a shelf, picked up from a bargain bin. That would have been around 2005. Since then has gotten into single player CRPGs a lot more.

Played some assorted RPGs on the C64 in the early(ish) 80'ies but what finally hooked me totally was Moria in 1989.

Early RPG's

My earliest memories of playing RPG's are Lords of Midnight, Doomdarks Revenge, Dungeon Master, Bloodwych and Amberstar. I still play LOM, DR and DM today. I also played all the early Bard's Tale, Dragon Lance, Ultima and Might and Magic games.

Last edited:
Legacy of the Ancients in 1988 on a C-64. I was 8 years old back then. Damn...time flies (like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana). However the gameplay hasn't held up that well for me, and that's even with a healthy dose of nostalgia. It's not a terrible game mind you, it just hasn't aged well.

I still have fond memories of it though. One line I will never forget from the game: "The merchant won't let you rob." LOL, my friend and I though that was hilarious. :) I'd always pictured the merchant standing there with his arms crossed, and shaking his head while looking obstinate and my character sheepishly abandoning his attempt at theft.

My first RPG was Pool Of Radiance, in 1988.

(Think I played my first JRPG around the same time, Phantasy Star).

But the first RPG I truly loved was Baldur's Gate 2, which I played in 2001 after not having played PC RPGs for a few years (played it before the 1st game). To this day, my favorite RPG.

Back
Top Bottom