WotR Why is Pathfinder WotR making my machine burst into flames?

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

bizorker

Sentinel
Original Sin 2 Donor
I've been playing this game for months and at some point along the way - I can't pinpoint when - it started to make my computer run like crazy and heat up and the fan is going bananas all the time. What the heck? It is really making this gaming experience unpleasant. I can hear the computer whirring downstairs. I guess I can play on ultra low graphics but takes a lot of the fun out of it :(

So first time huh? Seems this happened to most people who play Unity games at some point. It used to happen on earlier builds but just like the memory leak it seems to persist.

Might just be Owlcat screwed the code with the latest patch and DLC as well.

I've been playing this game for months and at some point along the way - I can't pinpoint when - it started to make my computer run like crazy and heat up and the fan is going bananas all the time. What the heck? It is really making this gaming experience unpleasant. I can hear the computer whirring downstairs. I guess I can play on ultra low graphics but takes a lot of the fun out of it :(
If you dont want any of that maybe try it in the cloud via GFN, but you cant use mods for the game

If you're not using vsync, then try capping your framerate to your monitor's refresh rate if you haven't already. Can do that in the NVIDIA/AMD control panels, don't think the Pathfinder games let you do it in-game.

Also, you could cap it lower than your monitor's refresh rate if you want your system to quiet down some. Shouldn't hurt much on a game like the Pathfinder games. Like if you're on a 144Hz, you could try capping at 60 or 80 or something.

Unless your system has accumulated too much dust, it's likely the Unity engine; I had the same problem except it came during beta. What GPU do you have, is it NVIDIA? Newer versions of Unity tend to be worse too, so maybe they've updated it.

Some regions of WotR are worse too, like the Lost Chapel.

First as said above, make sure to use vsync and cap your framerate to 60 (not in the game, Unity doesn't manage that correctly). Alternatively, you can use the borderless window mode if your default framerate is 60, I would even advise to do so since Unity sometimes has issues with fullscreen mode.

You don't need to tune down all the options in the game, reducing the quality of shadows should help, but I've also reduced a few other options like depth of field and bloom.

Thanks everyone for all the tips. Going to give this all a go. Much appreciated!

At some point all starterd to crashing after few minutes of playing. At first I thought that I came across some bug, but I realized that's because of hot weather. And I was playing on feshly bought PC.

Back
Top Bottom