HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
World of Warcraft is still the #1 MMO:

World of Warcraft: Shadowlands becomes the fastest-selling PC game of all time

Who said World of Warcraft was dead?

In a recent investor report, World of Warcraft: Shadowlands publisher Activision says that the latest expansion to the popular MMO is now the fastest-selling PC game ever, racking up 3.7 million sales on its first day alone.

Shadowlands beats out the previous title holder, Diablo III (also produced by Blizzard Entertainment), which sold 3.5 million copies on its first day.

[...]
Source: Techradar

Thanks Porcozaur!

More information.

Not my kind of game, but it's easy to understand why it's still so popular in a time where new MMO's are a rare sight.
It's like a ACDC album, it's sounds exactly like the 16 before it but it's still great to hear and enjoy!

But to be honest the eternal milking is getting really old, they should try to make something new that won't totally suck like their current buisness practices.

But to be honest the eternal milking is getting really old, they should try to make something new that won't totally suck like their current buisness practices.

Why make something new when you got the fastest selling videogame in your hands? ;)

and from those 3.7 million, i bet 3 million are bought with gold from the game lol

It takes time to build a character. On the other hand, after a while I'd feel the need to change the style entirely, even at the risk of losing 'MMO creds'.

Are there MMORPG players among you?

I've only dabbled in MMORPGs, Everquest 2 with a bunch of friends for a few months. It was taking too much time, and wasn't as fun as most RPGs that you can run at your own pace. It felt too much of marketing too, anything to keep you online.

Let's see what's up currently, from bestreamer (no idea where they got the numbers, so don't quote me on that):
  1. WoW, 1.7 million to 3.4 million subscribed players
  2. Final Fantasy XIV, 640,000 monthly players
  3. The Elder Scrolls Online, 500,000 monthly active players
  4. Guild Wars 2, 510,000 monthly active players
  5. Runescape, 350,000 monthly players
  6. Black Desert Online, 350,000 monthly players
  7. Eve Online, 300,000 monthly players
  8. Star Wars The Old Republic, 135,000 monthly players
  9. Blade & Soul, 80,000 monthly players
  10. Neverwinter, 60,000 monthly players

I'm surprised to still see Runescape, which has been there for ages! It already had bad reputation 15 years ago, lol. I guess that's what you get with free subscriptions. People used to greet you there not with a "Hi", but with a "U r HOT!!1".

I would have thought TESO had more players than that. It doesn't surprise me that WoW is #1, but I didn't think it was by such a wide margin.

I was a wow player for 10+ years, giving up August 2019, didn't bother installing it on new PC. I had some great times, made some friends but eventually just found the gameplay too samey. I lost track of any lore years ago and it developed a really toxic atmosphere (or I started to notice it more). That toxic atmosphere has pretty much put me off any on-line gaming. I'm OK with fallout 76, I see it as a first person shooter with some building. Rare encounters with other players, they feel less real than the NPCs.
My husband is currently playing shadowlands but pretty much solo, he had enough gold for it to be free and not to have a cost for a few months.

I would have thought TESO had more players than that. It doesn't surprise me that WoW is #1, but I didn't think it was by such a wide margin.
Another site gives other results, they apparently continuously *estimate* the number of players. The difference is even greater between those two games right now, the time graph shows that WoW is currently booming since October, while TESO has fallen back to its average level.
There are huge variations, I'm wondering how they manage that.

I remember trying World of Warcraft when it first came out, I think maybe that was late '05 or so? I duo'd a hunter and druid, lasted five days before I quit forever. I just couldn't handle the visuals, and found the game incredibly simplistic. I was a great fan of the Warcraft games back in the nineties, but the mmo just wasn't for me, I packed my bags and hurried back to Everquest.

Around 2006-ish I played the first mission a couple minutes and enjoyed how a forest path was completely bedecked with corpses, as I walked toward my destination. It was so dramatic! Then I was killed and that was the end of my ~30 minutes WOW career. :D

Did they have preorders I wonder? Those probably eat from day 1 sales of many games. Including CP2077 which sold 8 million on preorders.

orson_welles_clap.gif

I remember trying World of Warcraft when it first came out, I think maybe that was late '05 or so? I duo'd a hunter and druid, lasted five days before I quit forever. I just couldn't handle the visuals, and found the game incredibly simplistic. I was a great fan of the Warcraft games back in the nineties, but the mmo just wasn't for me, I packed my bags and hurried back to Everquest.

I got a free 3-month trial somehow a year or so after release. I played for maybe a week before deciding it wasn't for me. I'm not an MMO guy to begin with, but at least I can understand the appeal of some of them. I didn't see it with WoW.

All I see is the pre-orders sales split between PC and console, what am I missing? :S

8e6 * 0.59 = 4.7 million > 3.7 million, but do presales count as day 1 sales?

Last edited:
Ah OK, those 3.7M would actually include pre-sales?
That's possible, those numbers are quite high. Maybe for an extension, for an MMO that counts 109M players, it would still be feasible though.
But boasting a 1-day sales would be a bit of a lie.

No matter what, if CDPR sold 8M in pre-sales, that's huge! I thought people were more cautious those days, especially since there was no discount.

I loved WOW, but I’m done and have no desire to return. With the pandemic though this is probably a perfect time to get people back into the game since there are plenty of people with extra time on their hands. So I’m not surprised sales were so high.

Back
Top Bottom