WTF Is Wrong With The Gaming Community?

What you are seeing has nothing to do with social media, mobile phones, technology etc. Now I am going to sound like old fart but young people these days are not taught to respect their parents, family members or even teachers etc. So how are they going to respect some random stranger on the internet?

I see some parents (and even teachers) encourages their kids to call them by their first names rather say "mum or dad". They think this is "cool" and at first sight you might think there is no harm in it but indirectly the parent and the child has lost few things such as boundaries (parents and friends are not the same people), mutual respect and even some authority. This name calling on its own may not be huge but this is just one example of how parents have cease to become parents and things like this adds up to what we see today in gaming forums...

Last edited:
Its weird isnt it. The more intelligent your are or maybe think you are the unhappier you are.

Being simple minded, but cunning gets you farthest in life. That's why we have politicians. :p

As for this topic, you can easily tell who is worth talking to on these forums. "Trolls" are too emotionally invested and have to make a point through throwing around insults and hyper boles.
Arguing is pointless...no one can convince anyone, especially on the Internet, unless both sides are willing to consider other person's perspective.

I find it amusing that people talks about such behavior as being a recent thing... Sure it wasn't the norm back 20 years ago when I first got access to the Internet, but it was a gradual decline that became quite apparent in the early 2000s in the forums I hanged out at (basically around the internet usage exploded).

In other word, you are seeing more of it because there are more people.

A little while ago D'artagnan departed these forums. From what I can gather I guess he was tired of some of the arguing here, though I'm not familiar with the particulars.

Actually, he was tired of his own impulse which was to start arguments randomly with anyone ;)

The internet seems to have become a way for people to let out all kinds of feelings that are unacceptable to society or otherwise hard to express in today's climate. Weird sexual fetishes, hitting on people blatantly sexually, violating copyright laws, expressing extreme social/ political views, etc. I'm not saying this judgmentally, as I think this kind of outlet may, in some ways, have an important function pertaining to mental hygiene. Where else can people get together in a place where very little is taboo or off limits? Speaking of Germany, this is hardly a country where people get together in public to discuss personal matters with very few inhibitions. So while it's very easy to be fed up with the way things are on the internet, I'm not sure I'd want it any other way.

tl;dr trolls gonna troll

Actually, I blame mobile phones!! :)
It's just one part. The second part is social networks.

Anyway, I still need to steal TMG's avatar and abuse it for trolling on Bio, Beth, Ubi to name a few official forums. :D

The internet seems to have become a way for people to let out all kinds of feelings that are unacceptable to society or otherwise hard to express in today's climate. Weird sexual fetishes, hitting on people blatantly sexually, violating copyright laws, expressing extreme social/ political views, etc. I'm not saying this judgmentally, as I think this kind of outlet may, in some ways, have an important function pertaining to mental hygiene. Where else can people get together in a place where very little is taboo or off limits? Speaking of Germany, this is hardly a country where people get together in public to discuss personal matters with very few inhibitions. So while it's very easy to be fed up with the way things are on the internet, I'm not sure I'd want it any other way.
The internet as a confessional? :)
It's not just the internet, you see it on the tele too. The focus on the individual, and the improved ways of having an audience (real life shows, youtube) has led weirdos to believe they are important and that their opinions matter. :)

To the OP: I can't believe that you would bring up this topic. You $&)#X!%!!!

:biggrin:

Trolls multiply like rabbits and morality has been on the decline for generations, especially in the States.

Partially a result of teaching kids they are all untouchable little special snowflakes.
Can't teach morality, can't teach ethics, can't teach respect.
All of those require stepping on precious' ideas of individuality, and likely the parents don't have them either.
Congrats on witnessing the product we've carefully designed as a society. The products only get more and more shoddy. Enjoy!

I find it amusing that people talks about such behavior as being a recent thing…

I do acknowledge this. I'm just not sure if it's people actually behaving worse or I'm just making the final transition to 'get off my lawn!' When I was young and I would go out to the pubs with friends, there were always a few random people at the pubs who went there specifically looking to fight. I guess these days if I went to a pub everyone is there to fight? That's what it seems like on most gaming forums I visit. I keep injecting the word 'gaming' because in my free time, that's the stuff I like to read and comment about - not that this issue doesn't exist in other venues.

The internet seems to have become a way for people to let out all kinds of feelings that are unacceptable to society or otherwise hard to express in today's climate. Weird sexual fetishes, hitting on people blatantly sexually, violating copyright laws, expressing extreme social/ political views, etc

Pre-social media, people also had to, for the most part, physically confront someone with whom they disagreed. Didn't like something your neighbor was doing, you had to go over and knock on their door to discuss it. Didn't like your classmate making fun of you, you had to confront them in the schoolyard. Didn't like something a co-worker said about you, you had to confront them face to face. I think that face to face confrontation makes the difference between EVERY SINGLE confrontation devolving into sewage rather than not. For most people, face to face confrontations are not pleasant, and usually people don't want to fight (not everyone, there are plenty of asshats out there who do). But on the net, seems everyone's ready for verbal hostility - nothing is innocuous enough for that not to happen.

Anyway, I still need to steal TMG's avatar and abuse it for trolling on Bio, Beth, Ubi to name a few official forums. :D

When I found this avatar I laughed so hard and thought 'wow this is perfect I'll fit right in!'

To the OP: I can't believe that you would bring up this topic. You $&)#X!%!!!

YES! This! Exactly! The sky is blue, let's fight! :p

Last edited:
Partially a result of teaching kids they are all untouchable little special snowflakes. Can't teach morality, can't teach ethics, can't teach respect. All of those require stepping on precious' ideas of individuality, and likely the parents don't have them either. Congrats on witnessing the product we've carefully designed as a society. The products only get more and more shoddy. Enjoy!

I have two boys, one just turned 13 and before he turned 13 he promised me he'd be different and wouldn't act like a typical teenager. The day he turned 13 he started copping an attitude. My other son is 10 and likes to please others but is also very stubborn.

My wife and I work very hard to 'push back' however we can on 'social media' issues so they understand the many things that have been normalized that really aren't normal.

My older son has a lot of strong opinions about a variety of things. But when pressed, many times can't muster up a reason beyond that somebody's just a big dummy. He is a troll in the making and I'm doing everything I can to combat it. I've spent most of their lives pumping them with values of decency but this tsunami of all media is pretty massive. Every 1 time I can feed him a decent value he'll get 10 indecent examples from the world around him. But I will never give up on either of my boys and there are some successes.

My boys do understand that even though most YouTubers can't form a seven worded sentence without having six of those words be a profanity - that isn't normal. They will look you in the eye, shake your hand firmly, say hello and state their name when they meet you. When they come to your house to play with your kids they will say please and thank you. They are in the process of learning that not everything anyone might say has to be disagreed with for the sake of disagreeing with it. And that when you disagree you need to weigh the importance of voicing your disagreement and when it's really not important keep it to yourself and let the other guy have their opinion without resistance. And probably most importantly, I am always pushing the idea that if you need to confront somebody, it's best (and hardest) to confront them face to face. Don't be a whiny scaredy-cat and write something snide on some forum or chat. Tell them to their face. Start out nice and in the spirit of reconciliation. But be ready for a confrontation too, if the other person pushes it to that. In my view, it may be old fashioned but it's better in the long run.

In short, I am working at this with them I really don't want them to be mindless social media people when they become young adults and eventually adults.

Our sires' age was worse than our grandsires'. We, their sons, are more worthless than they; so in our turn we shall give the world a progeny yet more corrupt.
Horace, Odes Book III
20 BC

This has been going on for a while now. :p

Horace, Odes Book III
20 BC

This has been going on for a while now. :p

In other word, we are deevolving and I think the YouTube generation is closer to apes than we think!

My older son has a lot of strong opinions about a variety of things. But when pressed, many times can't muster up a reason beyond that somebody's just a big dummy. He is a troll in the making and I'm doing everything I can to combat it. I've spent most of their lives pumping them with values of decency but this tsunami of all media is pretty massive. Every 1 time I can feed him a decent value he'll get 10 indecent examples from the world around him. But I will never give up on either of my boys and there are some successes.

My boys do understand that even though most YouTubers can't form a seven worded sentence without having six of those words be a profanity - that isn't normal. They will look you in the eye, shake your hand firmly, say hello and state their name when they meet you. When they come to your house to play with your kids they will say please and thank you. They are in the process of learning that not everything anyone might say has to be disagreed with for the sake of disagreeing with it. And that when you disagree you need to weigh the importance of voicing your disagreement and when it's really not important keep it to yourself and let the other guy have their opinion without resistance. And probably most importantly, I am always pushing the idea that if you need to confront somebody, it's best (and hardest) to confront them face to face. Don't be a whiny scaredy-cat and write something snide on some forum or chat. Tell them to their face. Start out nice and in the spirit of reconciliation. But be ready for a confrontation too, if the other person pushes it to that. In my view, it may be old fashioned but it's better in the long run.

In short, I am working at this with them I really don't want them to be mindless social media people when they become young adults and eventually adults.

Well, did you try to get them into sports or something? I used to fight all the time when younger, but with martial arts ( specifically eastern ones… they have a more "spiritual" outlook on violence), you sort of end up turning that aggression into a form of more healthy competition.
So now I'm a lot better at punching people, but too enlightened for it. Goddammit. :p

Gamers became like the most of the modern games of today(specially AAA titles)…dumbed-down, they are broken, or badly ported…locked on only 30fps so their perception is locked in a narrow spectrum of thought.

Guess the gaming community needs a huge patch fix, and humanity as well. :)

I read the comments on this thread, and I agree with most of them.

Accent is on the social media, but remember, that the social media is only a tool on the benchmark of the internet, if it's properly used, no one will get hurt.
I am aware that it's not used very properly, or perhaps it is more abused than used in some cases.

The Internet is a great thing. It is a gathering of all kinds of minds. And there are corners of the great world wide web, where like minded people come together and share, discuss, various things. It's a great thing!
Now, beside those corners, there is an huge arena with a lot of noise,where a fight to the death is preferred. It is a team deathmatch. It's a mess, really.

As for gaming sites, I use only this one from time to time, and really rarely write something on DSOG(the Trolls are strong there). So not really familiar what is going on somewhere else…but I am sorry to hear thst the attack happened on Divinity OS EE forum. It is my favorite game and I like Larian studios style. And Sven is awesome in the presentation videos. :)

All in all. It is really easy to just attack someone, but it takes strength to approach each other in a more kind and respectful way.

I agree with those who think the art of communication has been lost. I see that in my students too…and I have also said things to people via email etc that I would not have said in person. I think the digital barrier that separates us lies behind a lot of this attitude that people have. There is nothing like having to explain a position (or gripe!) in person …you choose your words more carefully and (usually) try to understand the other person' position. I also think writing a letter in days of old was a soothing past-time …not so firing off a tweet of post that you can do in 30 seconds.

Well, did you try to get them into sports or something? I used to fight all the time when younger, but with martial arts ( specifically eastern ones… they have a more "spiritual" outlook on violence), you sort of end up turning that aggression into a form of more healthy competition.
So now I'm a lot better at punching people, but too enlightened for it. Goddammit. :p

Yes, they're in sports. :)

…but I am sorry to hear thst the attack happened on Divinity OS EE forum. It is my favorite game and I like Larian studios style. And Sven is awesome in the presentation videos. :)

I was stunned. I'm pretty sure I've watched every video put out by Sven and I have read the vast majority of his blogs. He has sort of become my 'Wily Wonka' of gaming. He is full of positive energy, embraces free exchange of ideas, promotes strong team environments, and possesses a great deal of transparency with both his successes and failures. I never would have expected such a miserable opposite-world at Larian's forums. But lesson learned, I won't go there anymore.

i have a tendency to "defend" a POV if I feel it is being unfairly treated on a discussion board, as I feel this is the purpose of discussion boards. however, if I am repeatedly challenged after stating my opinion, and things degenerate, I try to drop it before it gets ugly. i try to pick my words carefully, as i have learned from years on boards... but the bottom line is that text does not communicate as well as the spoken word. since text lacks the emotional context, people misinterpret what you write often. speaking face to face is seldom as misunderstood, but it can happen as well. it just depends on how well people bother to listen to one another.

So here's my answer.

So I've followed a particular game from the beginning. Its name is Darkest Dungeon, though I facetiously describe it as Derpest Dungeon for reasons you will soon see.

Very long story short, I like most people was fooled by the game's initial promises, and I like most people early on saw through them quickly and it became apparent there would be a great deal of fixes and content expansion required before it could ever be the game it claims it is. I, and many people submitted critical feedback accordingly and were disregarded and ignored, while blind empty praise was favored and amplified. It became apparent very quickly they valued some random streamer with 2 viewers including themselves far more highly than any number of people who could provide details, math/reason/logic backed breakdowns of the problems and the solutions and even field test those solutions for them through modding.

And it's not like fixing them was exceptionally difficult at first either, it just requires you understand math/logic/emergent gameplay, and then make appropriate changes in a text file.

Instead, the game moved steadily further away from its initial advertisement, seemingly out of pure petty spite and overblown egos. What's more, while the community as a whole was still fairly good at this point, there were some sections of it that were… questionable even then.

End result? Most actual challenge gamers and such left, and the ones that remained like me became increasingly critical of the game's shallow, one dimensional, and trivial mechanics. These… elements responded with swarming hostility, groupthink, and eventually doxxing, resulting in my deleting my Reddit account in disgust.

At around the halfway point, the devs throughly screwed the pooch by releasing a particular patch in which every aspect of it was wrong, and what's more they did so in a way that made the problems with the game blatant so even those not skilled as systemic analysis could see what I've been thinking and saying for months. Now I withheld most of my criticisms before this point as they weren't proven, and were harsh. But this, after months of ignoring all criticism from all users and producing utter nonsense, and personally emailing me informing me they were offended I considered an Early Access game in need of fixing (that's the whole ****ing point of Early Access dumbasses!) and continually and aggressively falsely advertising a broken product? I had enough, and began leveling unrestrained criticism both at the game and the developer's business practices.

Meanwhile, most people are caught on the corpse strawman one way or the other though a significant number saw through it and caught the other problems, and in a matter of days the entire community for this game became just like the subreddit, but worse. The devs, meanwhile began aggressively censoring criticism instead of merely ignoring it, so it just went in the review section instead and that's why negative reviews have near 100% dominated ever since.

The game's never advanced beyond that point, hell it never advanced beyond its initial Early Access release point. Yes there's some new skins, but the core game is just stack Hellions and spam damage, same as it always was. Most classes and skills are still worthless, most mechanics are still best ignored, and the game's longer and grindier than ever which is only amplified by the lack of variety, as well as implementing hardcoded tedium, grind, and brokenness so that mods literally can't save the game anymore, even if there wasn't the small matter of them alieniating the only modder with actual talent (me) because I could no longer support their activities and make them money by doing their jobs for them in good conscience.

And the community? Well they're more hypertoxic than ever, they pretty much spend more time going around negative reviews and insulting the authors and/or me (even if I'm not there commending them on a well written piece or offering corrections, etc) than actually playing the game, they speak with authority on new features despite having 0-2 hours in the last 2 weeks. They stalk and harass critics all over the internet (especially me), they've doxxed me more than once, I've put one in prison for federal crimes, they've harassed my friends just for being my friends even if they're not involved in the Derpest Drama… They are truly, absolutely, and without question the scum of this ****ing Earth.

And the worst part is when people I've known for years, that are fully aware of this corporate corruption turn around and support them anyways for a bribe, dismiss me out of hand as just a number, and when I approach them privately informing them of the nature of the companies they're promoting they ignore that and make a public scene lying and defaming me.

It's really done a good job of showing me who my real friends are, and are not. But just consider, there's at least 10 people that have serially stalked me for months over a shitty walking simulator by lazy, incompetent, egotistical developers who have clearly spent their entire budget on marketing and advertising and not actually making a good game.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is wtf is wrong with the gaming community.

Back
Top Bottom