X3: Terran Conflict

Yaki are a different faction from the pirates you target in corporate combat missions. :)

I found this mod very handy to reveal hidden faction rankings for factions such as Khaak and Pirates.

[MD] Ranks for Xenon, Kha'ak, Pirates and Yaki [V1.03][09/21/2011]

I am determined to play nice nice with everyone but Xenon and Khaak. I wonder if I kill enough Xenon that they will start hunting me down, ships and stations? That would be cool. Sort of…

hahahaha

I should have saved this for home, where I could laugh without fear of reprisal. ;)

My favorite line?

"this isn't the first time san francisco has seen Khaak action"

Years of playing and that pun never occured to me! Those sneaky Germans!!

Well I'm on the home stretch. Only about 10k chips to go.

I finished the OTAS corporation missions, and for a change of pace decided to build a Terran complex in Asteroid Belt to produce the hard to find Terran lasers and missiles. Oddly, Terran antimatter launcher ammo and specter missile factories are not available for station construction.

I tried to stack and pack the stations as close together (in a line, sort off), using an advanced satellite. When stations are touching they groan, so you get immediate aural feedback if you messed up. Cool.

The only thing I would have changed is the Soar Power Plants. My sector traders occasionally run into them if my personal ship is in sector. I'd rotate the plants 90 degrees so the panels change from being in the X-Z plane into being in the Y-Z plane, and more out of the way of the usual direction of approach to the complex hub.

Asteroid Belt Complex Calculator

x3screen00007.jpg

x3screen00008.jpg

x3screen00009.jpg

x3screen00012.jpg

Last edited:
I've got a Terran station, too, but it's mostly there to build chips and TRY to help the Earthers economy get on its feet by practically giving away food. It's not so easy to get screenshots of my… uhhh… non-intuitive organizational structure but here's an attempt: http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/4195/terrancomplex.jpg

The hub is in the top-center and is just in front of the plane defined by the gate.

I am squeezing every last cent out of this one. I wonder if I should start Albion Prelude, when I'm done? ;)

I FINALLY finished the Hub plot and started my last plot, the HQ plot. Once I have the player HQ I will shelve it. It's a shame, since I won't use the HQ I worked so hard to get and build my own ships. But purely sandbox play (or doing corporation missions) doesn't excite me enough to continue. Although I'd like to play around with boarding ships, dog fighting, and managing huge attack fleets. If there is a next time with an X game, boarding/combat will be my focus, rather than trading.

From what I've seen, it looks very tricky. I have yet to do it. But like most things in X3, once you get the hang of it, it can become fairly easy.

You have to be flying a ship (personally, not remotely, I believe) that can carry marines. When you are correctly positioned so the target ship will run over your marines, you give them orders to board and they jump ship and latch on. But first you have to take down the shields of the ship to be boarded and keep them down until the marines cut their way in. You can also make marines use boarding pods if your ship allows, which increases the chance of entry, and appears easier than spacewalking marines.

Each marine can be trained in 4 stats - fighting, hacking, mechanical, engineering. These stats affect fighting once inside, hacking to gain control, chance of entry, and minimizing collateral damage to the ship. Only the last 3 can be trained in stations. Fighting is only trained by doing boardings. You can lose marines during a boarding, too.

Quite a few kinds of ships can only be obtained by boarding. For example, the Hyperion Vanguard is regarded as the best M6 by many (or at least a close second to the Springblossom), but can't be bought, doesn't bail, but can be boarded. Khaak, Xenon, and Pirate capitals cannot be bought, don't bail, but can be boarded. Same thing for the some of the ATF ships.

Once you have a PHQ, you can reverse engineer some of these (and other unique reward) un-buyable ships from the example ship in your possession, and then build copies of them for your fleet.

It's another of level of gameplay I definitely haven't touched.

PS. To answer your FPS question... Boarding happens separately while you remain piloting the ship. You get a running audio commentary as the boarding progresses, and you can apparently monitor what each marine is doing via the property window. Yes, marines are treated as property. :/

Last edited:
Once you have a PHQ, you can reverse engineer some of these (and other unique reward) un-buyable ships from the example ship in your possession, and then build copies of them for your fleet.
Aaaaand I think you can pick the color! (Except for Boron ships with their special textures.) That means you're going to have to play just a little bit longer. Build yourself a pink Boreas (the "Lollypop"), take a screenshot, and THEN you're done. ;)

I suppose the ultimate challenge would be to board / capture all the Xenon ship types and then create a fleet of Xenons to do your evil bidding. hehehehe...

Well it seems this game wouldn't let me finish as easily as I thought. I spoke too soon. The PHQ REQUIRES one to do a boarding mission. And not an easy one.

I was almost totally unprepared for it. So now I am training marines and learning how to do boardings. Sadly, training marines takes a very long time. sigh....

I've barely ever boarded anything. Can you overcome the lack of quality with a massive quantity? If you could cover the security turrets with dead bodies....

At this point, I may resort to that. So what if I loose all but one marine. It turns out you need at least 20 to be successful. That's the most that fit in an M7M!

I'm done screwing around. Tonight I'm gonna try going for broke, no more preparations and training.

Send me a prayer... ;)

Ugh… Well, quite frankly, I couldn't resist the challenge of learning how to do a successful boarding. So finally, last night in a defend station mission (which I've reloaded now ten times) I boarded and captured a Pirate Osprey. :) Did it with the Vidar and 5 marines. Only one marine survived. :(

The autopilot piracy command never worked right the first 9 tries, so I switched to the generic additional command -> eject all marines (or some such), when I was practically on top of the Osprey. I was helped by a trader's fighter drones that kept the shields down. Hate to think it was just luck. So I must try again. :)

Will try yet again tonight to see if I can do it better. Boarding practice is addictive, yet almost too frustrating. Mission reloads with a different set of pirate ships and defenders each time, keeping it interesting.

A lot of folks (maybe even most folks) really like the boarding. I think using boarding pods helps out a lot, though I've never tried one.

Maybe get more marines on a few TP ships them beam them over when you're ready to board?

Back
Top Bottom