XCom2 opinions

The retaliation missions are somewhat frustrating. How are you supposed to save civilians that are getting killed halfway across the map?

I know you're not asking for this but that's why, in my XCOM2+WotC run, I used the mod "Civilians Revamped". In the default game, the civilians just hunker down and wait to get shot down by the aliens, like sitting ducks. The mod changes this by making them run from the threats and/or seek cover (a more realistic behavior).

But I agree with Pladio here: just rescue 6 civilians and be done with the mission.

Sometimes civies run around, don't they?

How's research going? I remember getting that first armor tech was always forever.

Sometimes civies run around, don't they?

How's research going? I remember getting that first armor tech was always forever.

Civilians flee a little but not very effectively.

I'm currently researching magnetic weapons. Prior to that, I just kept researching each new alien corpse I found.

Trying to decide what to build next. I only have the Guerilla Tactics School right now. Should I build the Proving Grounds or do a Resistance Comms first?

Civilians flee a little but not very effectively.

I'm currently researching magnetic weapons. Prior to that, I just kept researching each new alien corpse I found.

Trying to decide what to build next. I only have the Guerilla Tactics School right now. Should I build the Proving Grounds or do a Resistance Comms first?
I would recommend resistance comms first as you really want to open up the map. For two reasons,
1. It gives you more income. You pay Intel for each new territory and earn money every month.
2. You can then fight off the worst dark event rather than only one.

You will need proving grounds to build a skull jack but that isn't as urgent in my opinion.

I recently realized that a soldier getting injured at any point during a mission causes them to have the injured status afterwards even if you heal them to full health before the end of the mission. Is it supposed to work like that?

Finished Shen's Last Gift this morning. It was a lot easier than I was expecting except for the final battle. I had to reload on that one a few times because the Sectopod kept going straight for the Spark unit and taking him out.

What was really frustrating though was the bullshit RNG I was getting. Sometimes it doesn't make sense. I had grenadiers literally standing right next to the Sectopod and still missing despite its size.

I recently realized that a soldier getting injured at any point during a mission causes them to have the injured status afterwards even if you heal them to full health before the end of the mission. Is it supposed to work like that?

Finished Shen's Last Gift this morning. It was a lot easier than I was expecting except for the final battle. I had to reload on that one a few times because the Sectopod kept going straight for the Spark unit and taking him out.

What was really frustrating though was the bullshit RNG I was getting. Sometimes it doesn't make sense. I had grenadiers literally standing right next to the Sectopod and still missing despite its size.
Regarding injuries, yes that's how it works. Think of the in mission healing as a quick patch of a bullet hole, with some adrenaline mixed in. It's meant to keep your soldiers going but isn't an actual heal.

Being shot to pieces still requires a hospital.

I didn't like that DLC at all. I think it's good to do it once but un future playthroughs I have always had it disabled.

Regarding RNG, yup the game is like that. That's why you need to think of being safe behind full cover whenever you can.

I tend to play in veteran with a maximum of one mission reload. I want the choices I make to impact the way I play, but I wouldn't expect for a first time playthrough. I also tend to play with so many mods it sometimes really throws something unexpected into the mix :)

Mag weapons will help quite a bit. Armor will help quite a bit, too.
I had grenadiers literally standing right next to the Sectopod and still missing despite its size.
Google: "That's XCOM Baby!"

I'm on a mission right now that has tons of those snake aliens, and they're really pissing me off. I love how their special attack can magically pass through solid objects and grab my soldiers behind full cover.

*Edit* And then the king snake alien...holy fuck. He gets a counterattack on every single soldier's turn!

Last edited:
I'm on a mission right now that has tons of those snake aliens, and they're really pissing me off. I love how their special attack can magically pass through solid objects and grab my soldiers behind full cover.

*Edit* And then the king snake alien...holy fuck. He gets a counterattack on every single soldier's turn!
Is it the one with the snake young? Or whatever they're called?

I wouldn't do that one until mag weapons because of the king. It triggers the king for future missions.

Spoiler tip below

I suggest getting a frost grenade as soon as you can.

Is it the one with the snake young? Or whatever they're called?

I wouldn't do that one until mag weapons because of the king. It triggers the king for future missions.

Yes. I didn't realize it was the DLC mission until I was already in it. I've reseached mag weapons, but I've only built the shotgun so far.

I suggest getting a frost grenade as soon as you can.

I have that actually. Found it in some random stash on the map iirc.

Yes. I didn't realize it was the DLC mission until I was already in it. I've reseached mag weapons, but I've only built the shotgun so far.

I have that actually. Found it in some random stash on the map iirc.
Don't lose it as there's just one and keep it on a soldier for every mission. Very useful.

*Edit* And then the king snake alien…holy fuck. He gets a counterattack on every single soldier's turn!
That "Rulers Revised" mod that I listed cleans that up a little bit. They still get free turns so you don't nerf the challenge completely, but only if your soldier does something other than movement.

*Edit* And then the king snake alien…holy fuck. He gets a counterattack on every single soldier's turn!

There are only three different "alien kings" as you put (or Alien Rulers, as the game name'em), each one being an improved version of a certain kind of alien - which I won't spoil here - that you've probably already fought by now. These rulers are always the same in every game, in a way that there's no randomization as to what type of "alien" will receive a "ruler" version during your gameplay (I don't know if I made myself clear here).

And yes, they all get counterattacks or another action options IIRC every time each one of your soldiers act. And they have a good lot of hit points as well.

Yeah, I'm thinking about going back to an earlier save now and avoiding that one for a bit. They should have made the ramifications of accepting that mission a little more clear.

And they bear gifts! Gold, frankincense, and myrrh can be used to make some nice stuff. ;)

I ended up staying on my current path. I killed the king snake the second time I encountered him. That was an interesting mission because it was already one of those red events and labeled as difficult, and then he popped up as well. Luckily, I had just upgraded my assault rifles and chainguns to the seond tier.

Now I'm encountering Advanced Troopers and Shieldbearers. Is the introduction of new enemies based solely on how much time has passed, or does the game level-scale too?

I ended up staying on my current path. I killed the king snake the second time I encountered him. That was an interesting mission because it was already one of those red events and labeled as difficult, and then he popped up as well. Luckily, I had just upgraded my assault rifles and chainguns to the seond tier.

Now I'm encountering Advanced Troopers and Shieldbearers. Is the introduction of new enemies based solely on how much time has passed, or does the game level-scale too?

If I'm not mistaken, the introduction of new Aliens and/or ADVENT Troopers is time-related. You could rush the initial missions thus facing a set of weaker enemies but as time goes by, the game will inevitably put you against their respective improved versions.

If I'm not mistaken, the introduction of new Aliens and/or ADVENT Troopers is time-related. You could rush the initial missions thus facing a set of weaker enemies but as time goes by, the game will inevitably put you against their respective improved versions.

How worried should I be about the Avatar Project countdown? It's already past the halfway point in my game. I heard there were missions that reduce it, but I haven't found any yet.

How worried should I be about the Avatar Project countdown? It's already past the halfway point in my game. I heard there were missions that reduce it, but I haven't found any yet.

I personally would not worry unitl it reached the middle of the Avatar Project bar (or meter), but since you're already there.. yes there are some missions that can decrease it:

• You can destroy those Alien Facilities that keep popping up from time to time;
  • There are specific story missions that will reduce the Avatar Project meter;
  • Pay attention to the Dark Events that are presented to you at the start of each month. One of them will allow you to decrease the progress bar if you counteract it (note: it may be a Hidden Event and, in order to reveal it, you'll have to pay Intel)

So, the second alien ruler is fucking ridiculous. I'm going to try the mod that dteowner recommended above, otherwise I just don't see how. I like a good challenge, but these guys are unfair to the point of feeling like cheap design.

Back
Top Bottom