Your favorite adventure games

D

DArtagnan

It's been a while since I really enjoyed a good old-fashioned adventure game, and I've been having a hard time getting into them lately. Just lazy, I guess - but there are so many greats that I've missed, like the Gabriel Knight series and Beneath a Steel Sky.

But I remember how much I enjoyed them - and I wanted to make a little top-X-list thread.

So, here it goes:

1. Hero's Quest (QFG1)
2. MYST
3. Kyrandia 2
4. Loom
5. Secret of the Monkey Island

1. QFG 1 (EGA version)
2. QFG 4 (loved this game almost as much as 1)
3. Alone in the Dark (Cthulhu Mythos in a haunted mansion. What more could anyone want?)
4. Gabriel Knight 2: Best Within (One of the few Full Motion Video games that didn't suck)
5. Space Quest 6 (Loved the narrator. I believe it was the same guy from Laugh In)

1) Hero's Quest
2) Space Quest II
3) Indiana Jones and Last Crusade
4) King's Quest IV
5) Quest for Glory II

I really didn't play too many after about '94 I guess when that style started to go out of vogue.

I could never get into Myst though. Tried it several times, just didn't grab me. Like Loom, but it was too short, I finishing it in one night.

1. The Longest Journey
2. Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
3. John Saul's The Blackstone Chronicles

They're all I've played so far. Currently going through Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - Director's Cut and I'm enjoying it.

Adventures are my least favourite games so i have only play a few

Leisure Sweet Larry , the episode starting with your girlfriend leaving you for another woman
Amerzone
Search for the King

I have play 3-4 more but never finished , Amerzone is my favourite tho.

I could never get into Myst though. Tried it several times, just didn't grab me. Like Loom, but it was too short, I finishing it in one night.

I never saw the appeal of Myst and I love me some adventure games. Myst was just boring, imo. Call me weird, but I need more than just pretty pictures and a vague story to enjoy an adventure game.

My sister loves it though. Asks me from time to time about games like Myst being released.

+1 to QFG 2. Loved the Arabian setting. I like all the QFG series games, but I had to throw in a few other adventure titles to round it out :)

1. Dreamfall
2. The Longest Journey
3. Monkey Island 2
4. Day of the Tentacle
5. Loom

I never saw the appeal of Myst and I love me some adventure games. Myst was just boring, imo. Call me weird, but I need more than just pretty pictures and a vague story to enjoy an adventure game.

You're weird (someone had to say it),

Actually no. Although I like the Myst games (nice pictures with a vague story, being somewhere without the faintest idea about why, what and where - yay!), I also see them as games you either love or hate.

1. Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis
2. Monkey Island
3. Simon The Sorcerer
4. Kyrandia 2 : Hand Of Fate
5. Day Of The Tentacle
5. Monkey Island 2
6. The Longest Journey
7. Monkey Island 3
8. Broken Sword I
9. Ankh
10. Sam & Max

I think that's it.

I clearly prefer funny comic-like adventures. ;)

And unfortunately I haven't played as many of the old Sierra Adventures than I'd wish to (Larry Laffer, King's Quest, Gobliiins). I played through Woodruff And the Schnibble Of Azimuth, though. And quite far into King's Quest 7.

Right now, A Vampyre Story is making its way into the top 10 as well, although it's rather about riddles than about story.

Still on my "have to play" list are :

- So Blonde
- Ceville
- Gobliiins 4
- Clever & Smart
- The Westerner (aka Wanted)
- The 3 Skulls Of The Toltecs ("prequel" to The Westerner)
- Bone 1
- Jack Keane
- Jack Orlando
- Sam & Max Season One

Well, my absolute favorite adventure would be Realms of the Haunting, of course, and I also have fond memories of several Infocom titles. But if we talk of vanilla point-and-click games... hmmm...

In no particular order:

- Zork: Nemesis (liked it for the atmosphere - not very Zork, but great)
- Zork: Grand Inquisitor (liked it for the atmosphere - very Zork. 'Don't throck on the grass!')
- Kyrandia (all three of them... although Zanthia and Marco of K2 were funny, I loved Malcolm, so I was very happy with K3. 'Ooh ooh, hot hot!')
- The Dig (the score!!! The characters! Ludger Brink was the equivalent to Q4's Tech Strauss...)
- Myst IV (just to name a Myst title)
- The White Chamber (intriguing - and free - SciFi Horror title).

I played several of the LA adventures, but most weren't my cup of tea, exception see above (and I also found Full Throttle entertaining, if very short). Ah yes, and I played the first Leisure Suit Larry, the first Space Quest and the first Police Quest (no idea if there was another one after it), but the Sierra titles weren't quite my type of game, either, so I refrained from playing others after them.
The last adventure I bought was Keepsake - solid, but not great.

+1 to QFG 2. Loved the Arabian setting. I like all the QFG series games, but I had to throw in a few other adventure titles to round it out :)
Yeah, I loved it too, very unique. I'd like to see more RPG's in that setting.

the first Police Quest (no idea if there was another one after it),

There were 4 of them. I remember really liking the first two, but I though the uniqueness of it wore off by the third.

The last adventure I bought was Keepsake - solid, but not great.

Yes, I remember it. Nice adventure. :)

What I totally missed are 2 adventures : "Stupid Invaders" and ... Oh, what was the name ? The adventure with this protagonist looking as if made of clay ...

At the risk of being completely ostracized, I'll admit not playing a single adventure game (except perhaps for the original ADVENTURE on a pdp-11. ;)).

Have I missed anything. ;)

Alrik, you are suppose to list your favorite games, not all the games. ;)

I haven't really played any recent adventure games, even though there are lot of those coming out, but Monkey Island 1 is all time favorite and I also liked other Lucas Arts adventure games, like Full Throttle. And the new Special Editions of MI games are great too! :)

another_world.jpg

And almost forget, original Prince of Persia and Another World (Out of This World). And there is out new version of Another World too! I actually contacted the developer and he was really nice on his mail. Another World was my first ever RPG and one of the first ever games I had played. Those two are great, since you don't need to understand the language (English in my case), since there is hardly any spoken language and yet they are adventure games, brilliant! ;)

At the risk of being completely ostracized, I'll admit not playing a single adventure game (except perhaps for the original ADVENTURE on a pdp-11. ;)).

Have I missed anything. ;)
Not all that much... ;)

Surprised we've got no love for Grim Fandango yet. I'd probably put Day of the Tentacle at the top of my admittedly short list, though.

This list will probably change a zillion times as I love the old adventure games!

Day of the tentacle
Simon the Sorcerer
KGB: A spy adventure
Kyrandia ( 2 and 3 )
Full Throttle

Back
Top Bottom