Your favourite movie

Ionstormsucks

Major Villain
Ok, I'm gonna make this a hard one. Name one movie (or one series of movies, e.g. Star Wars) that you think is your favourite one. You can name only one - no lame excuses - you can name only one movie!

Did I mention that you can name just one movie?

I'll begin:

Pirates of the Caribbean (unless they will screw up the third part)

Uh, oh, a difficult one ... But the one most dear to me is The Last Unicorn.

Hard pick, since I'm not that much into Movies, but I'd go for Kill Bill. Part 1 if I had to chose between the two.

Singing in the Rain!!

Good luck trying to get people to mention "only one" movie:)

Series- Star Wars

Individual movie- Way too hard to choose, maybe Pulp Fiction?

Last edited:
Oh, by the way, you can give some explanations why you have chosen a particular movie if you like. Maybe it was a movie that influenced you most when you were young. Or maybe you were in love at the time you watched a certain movie... stuff like that.

I chose Pirates of the Caribbean mainly because it is a recent example for the fact that the adventure movie genre is not quite dead. Such movies are a rarity nowadays... a shame really.

I think many of us are too old to choose just one to represent our entire life experience.

Here is a different thought: if you had a few extra hours and were to watch a movie by yourself, what DVD would you pop in *now*?

Me? Still hard to choose one, but ...

Real Genius

I have loved that movie forever.

Excellent choice, Mike, but I've got to go with "16 Candles".

Excellent choice, Mike, but I've got to go with "16 Candles".

Yeah, but around that time I was building a CO2 laser in a lab project with a professor ... and then it was on cable all of the time :)

Ah, those were good years. "Real Genius", "Weird Science", "Revenge of the Nerds"...

Excellent choice by Arhu, too!

@dteowner--that's my fiance's favourite too. she loves that thompson twins song. gotta love any movie that has a character name 'the donger'...

personally i agree with Mike in that picking one movie is near impossible but my favourite 80's movie (since were in that vein) is "explorers" from 1985 starring river phoenix and ethan hawke (who i don't normally like as an actor). i also enjoyed goonies as a kid, but this movie deals with space and dreams so its a match made in heaven for me. also kids building a spaceship.is infinetly cooler than building a treehouse or soapbox car, etc.

Last edited:
My favourite movie changes all the time. Currently it´s ...

Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels (Dir. Cut).

When I´m in a less chaotic mood I like ...

Once Upon a Time in the West (Dir. Cut)

If it's just one, it's Star Wars. I was 11 when SW came to the theaters, and being a fan of SF movies, I was so thrilled! When dad and I went to see Star Wars, I borrowed my mother's high heels because the movie was 12+, and I thought the missing year would show. It was the first movie I saw twice within one week. My favorite in the series is ESB, though.

To follow up on dte's idea, I'd pop in and watch Final Fantasy: Advent Children now, mainly because I haven't seen the dubbed version yet. Unfortunately a friend borrowed my DVD the day after I bought it, and he still has it.

Lawrence of Arabia, hands down.

So many great things about that movie and then its really odd that these were real historic figures in the 20th Century. I just saw General Allenbrook's statue in London when I went there. Then I saw a documentary on Iraw and how Prince Feisel was appointed its ruler.

Great scenes..Great Lines

No Prisoners! No Prisoners!

Wow, I never seen a man killed with sword before *snaps picture*

..He will help us because..it will be his pleasure.

Does it hurt?
Yes. The trick is not to care.

Nothing is written!

sometimes my friends and I would insult each other by calling one a Bedu! the other would respond with Howitat!

What music..what a cast that movie had.

So many great scenes..and there was so much left out of the stories that were reported. One time he was captured as prisoner and tied up. Lawrence escaped his bonds killed his two captors and held off a troop coming up a moutnainside by sniping at them.

Oh wait..I'm torn whether I like this or Citizen Kane better.

If it's just one, it's Star Wars. I was 11 when SW came to the theaters, and being a fan of SF movies, I was so thrilled!

I skipped Star Wars as a choice since it would require either cheating or picking only one ... and I'm pretty enthusiastic about 5 of them.

Star Wars was the first movie I really remember seeing more than once in theaters (perhaps it was the first ... ), and also the first movie I paid for my own admission - I had my own money coming in (paper route) so I went a dozen times in the first year of release ...

I watch over 100 movies every year from all over the world, and with that I have so much to take from that I just cannot put my finger on one single movie and say that it's the perfect candidate. If I would pick one, I would probably pick a movie that covers as many aspects of human life and behavior as possible, which would be Lord of the Rings. The twelve hour epic tale is a superb blend of cultures from all great epochs, a capture of the great human conflicts, individual heroism, failure, deceit, betrayal, greed, cultural clashes and unlikely friendships. The visuals, the audio, the storytelling techniques, the decor, the designs and the landscapes is the best humankind have to offer, worldwide. Lord of the Rings is not only a modern classic, but a testament of our time, of human history and everything we stand for, good and bad.

However, it's still not the movie which effected my life the most. That's probably Star Wars, which similar to LoTR captures many different cultures and aspects of humans and human behavior, although perhaps at a simpler level. Star Wars captures our world on a more political level, as well as the human conflict in any modern man, the conflict between thoose of your duty, cultural reponsibilities and thoose of your own inner feelings.

@txa1265, So which SW are you NOT enthusiastic about? I'm guessing TPM.

@JemyM, LOTR was an epic movie series, but it pales in comparison to the books. Peter Jackson really tarnished some of the scenes by adding his own little ideas to them.

@JemyM, LOTR was an epic movie series, but it pales in comparison to the books. Peter Jackson really tarnished some of the scenes by adding his own little ideas to them.

While I miss a few scenes, the changed role of the women improved the tale.

Back
Top Bottom