Your list of favorite NON- CRPGs...

Tropico 1 is one of the very, very, very few games that keeps constantly installed on my harddrive, because I love this game so much.
I always play it open-ended, my wish/goal is to build up a healthy civilization & economy. :)

1. Emperor: rise of the Midle Kingdom
2. Pharaoh
3. the Sims 1
4. DOOM
5. Heretic
6. the roller coaster Tycoon series
7. Spellforce (I count this as a strategy game, although it could be in the RPG section as well)
8. Cultures
9. Unreal 2
10. Deus Ex: Invisible War

I love city builders and sim games. Very occasionally the mood gets me and I play a FPS, although Heretic will always be my favorite in that genre, mainly because of the FPS setting. I would love to get my hands on that Wheel of Time FPS for the same reason..

Last edited:
I love city builders and sim games. Very occasionally the mood gets me and I play a FPS, although Heretic will always be my favorite in that genre, mainly because of the FPS setting. I would love to get my hands on that Wheel of Time FPS for the same reason..

Your first two on the list are some of my all-time favorites. It's a shame that the Impressions people have faded away. My son had Wheel of Time back in the day and really enjoyed it, but it was way too hard for me--which is not that rare, since when it comes to FPS, I have the coordination and speed of a rock. ;)

Many of the Impressions team are part of Tilted Mill now, who made Children Of The Nile and Caesar IV, and are working on SimCity Societies.
But COTN and Caesar IV never grabbed me the way the Impressions games did. The Tilted Mill games did make some improvements, like removing the walker mechanic, but there's just something missing. I enjoy Caesar III and Pharaoh a lot more than COTN and Caesar IV.

That said, out of the recent city builders, I really liked CivCity Rome a lot. I haven't finished it yet, but it's a very good game.

@Sorcha - I think you are the only person I've ever encountered who would put Deus Ex Invisible War over Deus Ex! I'm curious as to why, what did you like better about IW?

I have COTN, but it never grabbed me either :( Truth is, I don't really need another Pharoah. I reinstalled it recently and the game is still fantastic to play... the graphics still look great and the music made me feel right at home :)
I need to try CivCity Rome...

Why I place IW over the original? The fact that I was able to play it :blush:
I tried the original, and spent an hour trying to get past the sneaking bit in the tutorial. I never managed, so I uninstalled. If a tutorial is that hard, I'd hate to think what the rest of the game is like... I play games for fun, not to get frustrated. :(
This also ment I had no expectations what so ever of IW, and so for me that was a very pleasant action/FPS/RPG hybrid with a nice story, fun gameplay and some RPG elements. I enjoyed the game a lot.

When people talk about games dumbed down for the masses, I'm always painfully aware I AM part of those masses. :blush:
I like IW but not Deus Ex, I love NWN1 but dislike Baldur's Gate... worst thing is that I'm thirty and not a console weaned teenager. just goes to show, doesn't it? :-/

Wow, some good games on your lists.
My fave non-rpgs include:

Manic Miner (ZX spectrum)
Delta (C64)
Super Mario 64 (n64 and ds)
Wipeout (ps)
Gorf (arcade)
Jedi Academy (pc)
Tony Hawks Project 8 (xbox360)
Unreal (pc)
Prisoner Of Ice (pc)
Pinball Dreams/Fantasies (Amiga)
Half Life 2 (pc)
Winter Games (c64)

Will get back to you when I remember more..:)

Sorcha wrote:

Why I place IW over the original? The fact that I was able to play it!
I tried the original, and spent an hour trying to get past the sneaking bit in the tutorial. I never managed, so I uninstalled. If a tutorial is that hard, I'd hate to think what the rest of the game is like... I play games for fun, not to get frustrated.

I had the same experience. I enjoyed the tutorial up to that point and really wanted to play the game, too. But after dying about ten or fifteen times, I had to admit it was beyond my skills. Glad to know I'm not the only one. :)

I also loved Zoo Tycoon by Green Fang, published by Microsoft.
Me and my sister simply love this game (it's originally hers, because I gave it to her as a birthday present plus all the addons in the following years), but since there is only 1 PC in he whole house (she doesn't have one), I'm allowed to play with this game as well. ;)
The "Complete Collection" is sadly quite hard to get and reaches high prices on ebay !

My favourite crpgs (that stands for computer role-playing games, right?) are as follows:

1) Total War series (PC)

2)Age of Empires series (PC)

3)Company of Heroes (PC)

4)Call of Duty 2+ 3 (Xbox 360)

5)Age of Mythology (PC)

My favourite crpgs (that stands for computer role-playing games, right?) are as follows:

1) Total War series (PC)

2)Age of Empires series (PC)

3)Company of Heroes (PC)

4)Call of Duty 2+ 3 (Xbox 360)

5)Age of Mythology (PC)

1, 2, 3 and 5 are Strategy games and 4 is a Console shooter ... where are the RPG's?

This is the non-RPG thread. I think he missed typing in the "non" part. :)

Welcome to the forums, RebelRising.

Some of these may not have been regarded as the best of the genre, but I list them because I spent the most time with them. For example, Doom was the first FPS I played that possessed my time like a good book which I couldn't put down.

1) Populous

2) Master of Magic

3) Dune II

4) Monkey Island (all of 'em)

5) Maniac Mansion: The Day of the Tentacle

6) Civilization

7) Doom

8) UFO: XCom

9) Jedi Knight Series

10) Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe

Wow, just noticed...a lot of Lucasarts games up there.

Last edited:
Seems all my favourite non cRPGs have been mentioned already...:) Well, here goes(in no particural order)

1) Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
I like this game because it's the first game I actually knew how to play, well I did die a lot before actually learning. I also like the story of the game, mostly because it reminds me of the Thousand and one nights type of stories. I have a soft spot for the Disney animation Aladdin so that maybe explains why I love eastern fairy tales.

2) Warcraft III
I quess I like this game mostly because of the character of Arthas, I especially liked the clip where he kills his father. Another reason for liking this game might be that it was the first Blizzard game I owned and played through, maybe a bit like finding some type of cuisine you really like as in "I really like this company's games".

3) Rome Total War
What's best about this game is making enemies rout. In TW it's a battle of keeping your men more motivated, while in most RTSs it's a fight to the bitter end. Maybe I also like the game because you get to play as Romans, which would explain why I don't like Medieval 2 TW so much.

4) The Longest Journey(not Dreamfall)
Again, I liked the character of April so much I just had to find out what happened to her and ended up completing the game rather fast. The nutty humour is also wonderful, would like to play the game again just to play hopscots with the sorceror, the one who stole the wind, again. I haven't played any of the classic adventure games so could be like drinking something I'd never tasted before and noticing it tastes great.

Damn, can't think of a fifth game I really loved... I quess I'll make it a top four list.
nah, got one more (which hasn't been mentioned yet I think):

5) Escape from Butcher Bay
If Prince of Persia was the first platformer I learned to how to play without sucking at it, then Escape from Butcher Bay is the first FPS I didn't suck at. Before I played this game I wondered why some people thought Vin Diesel was cool, but after playing it I pretty much found out. I also liked the melee fighting system and the characters you could talk to(not so typical for a FPS).

Last edited:
5) Escape from Butcher Bay
If Prince of Persia was the first platformer I learned to how to play without sucking at it, then Escape from Butcher Bay is the first FPS I didn't suck at. Before I played this game I wondered why some people thought Vin Diesel was cool, but after playing it I pretty much found out. I also liked the melee fighting system and the characters you could talk to(not so typical for a FPS).

That was a great game, the only downside is how short it was.

Damn I hate looking at threads like this here, as you guys always have great ideas, it makes me want to play them all or again, which would take a freaking year! ;)

magerette & Sorcha Ravenlock in regards to Deus Ex and Wheel of Time, apologizes if this is a dumb question but, did you try it on Easy? Both these games have very good stories and acting in WoT's case, defiantly worthy of playing. I tell all my friends that are new to a game or genre the most important thing is to have fun and enjoy. So if your new or having trouble don't rely on the typical male ego mindset of playing games, use Easy and Godmode. Set a personal limit for yourself whatever you know yourself to get frustrated, say after 5, 10, or 15 minutes trying to solve something, then just automatically have your game ready with the command, before you start your game.

Especially with WoT, once patched to 333b it very very hard even on Easy, so have your godmode and extra ammo commands near by. :)
On Deus Ex tutorial, seems I recall it was you just had to go on a opposite side or something, i.e. there was a trick to it. It's been so long since I played the tutorial I forgot. I have both Deus Ex on my PC atm and will replay the tutorial so I will post you the hint and I recently replayed WoT also, so if you need help let me know. :)

As ironanno & JDR13 pointed out EfBB was a pretty neat game, it was from the team whom made Enclave. My biggest gripe, (while I admit realistic) is the quest for cigarettes as loot and to unlock specials. This really bothers me to glorify such a horrible product, which is fully intended by corporatist to violently addict the public, causing devastation to societies, not to mention physical illnesses for the individuals.

Edit, in case Sorcha Ravenlock reads this instead of the WoT thread, here is a link for WoT game, one as cheap as $3 usd. :)
http://www.amazon.com/Atari-04-17318.../dp/B00001XDKL

Last edited:
As ironanno & JDR13 pointed out EfBB was a pretty neat game, it was from the team whom made Enclave. My biggest gripe, (while I admit realistic) is the quest for cigarettes as loot and to unlock specials. This really bothers me to glorify such a horrible product, which is fully intended by corporatist to violently addict the public, causing devastation to societies, not to mention physical illnesses for the individuals.

That's a bit funny saying you're bothered by the cigarettes when you're playing as a prisoner who sneaks behind people and kills them in a rather gruesome way, what I mean is glorifying assasination and killing is a lot worse than cigarettes yet people still play shooters. If you say that then how about the coins in Super Mario? Won't having them as collectibles possibly make you greedy and support corporations?

Anyway I doubt the dev team got payed for putting the cigarettes in the game. They're not trademark cigarettes, are they? I think in the game it's, just like you say, only an attempt to be realistic. Having something out of context as collectibles would be a lot worse than cigarettes.

ironanno, hehe yes I am aware it sounds hypocritical. :p
Yet killing in RL is a known violation of Natural Law at the very least and obviously many enforceable criminal laws in most civilizations. Yet cigarettes and the promotion of them are insidious in nature, physiologically and with malicious intent, while the corporatist's being protected, by paid off government officials even with all verifiable data exist, showing the devastation to individuals and societies

We know in most cases if not all that killing is wrong on many levels, but we are brainwashed by corporatist in various methods for various products for the sake of profit. A recent example would be how Food Coloring is added to most foods here in the US, well they are most made from Coal Tar which is a Neurological Toxin which causes the effect of ADD, found recently in England's Food Safety Commission. The FDA here in the US intentionally ignores these facts. Iirc some of the largest Food Coloring corps are in Germany, whom usually I thought were good about health. :(

So in reality it's not a hypocritical position. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom