Final Fantasy X & X-2 Steam Release?

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
I never understood why so many people loved FF X, tried to get into it a couple of times... but failed... perhaps it is time to try one more time..

I never understood why so many people loved FF X, tried to get into it a couple of times… but failed… perhaps it is time to try one more time..

I have played it on the PS Vita and it is pretty decent enough, not up to FF6 or anything ... but I still had fun for the ~$15 or so I paid :)

No way I would buy it on PC, though.

10 is OK. There's that seriously awful love story and the fairly awful underwater soccer matches but the game gets pretty good in the last half. I thought the ending was quite good. Good enough that I didn't want to play X-2 and mess it up.

Oh, and get Wakka out of your party as soon as possible. Worst. Weapon. EVAH!

I remember when I was doing cosplay a lot, it seemed like the only characters girls ever wanted to cosplay were from FFX or X-2.

While I don't know if I personally would play them, I'm so happy they're getting PC releases, for obvious reasons. And I hope they do well, I really do.

I never understood why so many people loved FF X, tried to get into it a couple of times... but failed... perhaps it is time to try one more time..

What is it that put you off continuing?

Personally I loved FFX, blew me away on release and still enjoy it now. But it's definitely aged, and RPGs in general have very much moved forward since it originally came out.

I think atmosphere and character affinity play a big part in it's charm. If those aren't grabbing you after about 10 hours it may not be for you.

What is it that put you off continuing?

Personally I loved FFX, blew me away on release and still enjoy it now. But it's definitely aged, and RPGs in general have very much moved forward since it originally came out.

I think atmosphere and character affinity play a big part in it's charm. If those aren't grabbing you after about 10 hours it may not be for you.

Well, I really liked some parts of it. But the battle system was particularly annoying for an FF game, each fight took such a looooong looooong time, and it felt like long parts was not interesting, it was these long parts were not much happened that made me tired, so I quit. Probably they could have made it shorter and more focused, and also have battles resolve faster or be more evolved/engaging. The idea to be able to switch characters is kind of nice to be able to use all of them.... but it also means they had to give the enemies a lot of HP so that it'd not be too easy.

I remember X-2. It was so… strange. Random strange. Weird. Stupid at times. I did like the girls, though, especially the main protagonist. So I'm not surprised girls prefer to cosplay them! I would, too, if I was into cosplaying. People have said many times that I look like a copy of Yuna, my psychologist even suggested that it's the hidden reason I liked her (oh my gosh, that's hidden narcissism, I guess?).

I can't say that these games are my favorites, though, but they're so much better in gameplay than XIII that it's not even funny (I can never get tired of bring XIII up!). Not sure if I want to give them a shot again, there are many other games on my list, but I'd be interested to see cuscenes rendered in HD, that's for sure. Watching a HD let's play will probably serve that purpose better than having to replay.

Oh btw I remember a WTF moment in X. When I first saw Rikku, I thought she was naked, or rather wearing a… net? I'm not sure if it was intentional for the audience to be so confused, but it made me drop the game, it was that disgusting. I picked it up much later, after people told me I was mistaken, and only b/c I kinda saw many pictures of Yuna and wanted to see her in the game. Still not a big fan of X to this day.

Oh btw I remember a WTF moment in X. When I first saw Rikku, I thought she was naked, or rather wearing a… net? I'm not sure if it was intentional for the audience to be so confused, but it made me drop the game, it was that disgusting. I picked it up much later, after people told me I was mistaken, and only b/c I kinda saw many pictures of Yuna and wanted to see her in the game. Still not a big fan of X to this day.

I think they intentionally did it like that.. I mean look at Tidus face. Still instead of being vulgar it comes out as pretty funny instead.

Well, I really liked some parts of it. But the battle system was particularly annoying for an FF game, each fight took such a looooong looooong time, and it felt like long parts was not interesting, it was these long parts were not much happened that made me tired, so I quit. Probably they could have made it shorter and more focused, and also have battles resolve faster or be more evolved/engaging. The idea to be able to switch characters is kind of nice to be able to use all of them.... but it also means they had to give the enemies a lot of HP so that it'd not be too easy.

You see I love theatric turn based battles, so I guess that's just a marmite matter of taste. You can shorten Aeon cinematics in the options, but other than that battles are what they are.

I say maybe play it in bitesized chunks, like 30-60 min at a time, with an action game alongside it to break things up when you feel the need.

I'll also say that FFX pretty much had me hooked from the start, so I'm not sure things will improve if you progress. That said, the story has some very nice twists, and for me it delivered a lot.

I remember when I was doing cosplay a lot, it seemed like the only characters girls ever wanted to cosplay were from FFX or X-2.
That's odd because I've seen FF13 cosplay pics, and some very good like this one (Lightning):
lightning___army_of_one_by_vaxzone-d7r1sa8.jpg

Don't get me wrong but no FF cosplay pic I saw can ever beat Mass Effect cosplay like this one (Jack aka Subject Zero):
mass_effect_3___jack_by_ormeli-d9ilhly.jpg
mass_effect_3___subject_zero_by_ormeli-d9ilhm6.jpg

I think they intentionally did it like that.. I mean look at Tidus face. Still instead of being vulgar it comes out as pretty funny instead.
To be honest, I can't remember Tidus' face. Repressed memories ;)

But if I replay the game in Steam or just rewatch it in HD, I'll have a chance to pay attention to that moment.

Has the more open sphere grid been included as an option in any of the rereleases?

I always wanted to play the game that way, but never had an opportunity.

I, too, loved this game on release, beat it and had a great time playing Blitzball and getting all the ultimate weapons. I probably won't replay it any time soon as I recently watched a lengthy Let's Play of it on YouTube.

That's odd because I've seen FF13 cosplay pics, and some very good like this one (Lightning):

Those are incredible. And that Lightning is exceptional.

Damn, Jack never looked nearly that good!

Elel, you know you could always change your forum name to Yuna. ;)

When I first saw Rikku, I thought she was naked, or rather wearing a… net? I'm not sure if it was intentional for the audience to be so confused, but it made me drop the game, it was that disgusting.
Uhhh, I think you assumed her skin was yellow. At least she wasn't wearing a basket on her leg!

I have the hd versions on vita so I dont see any need to why I would want to play it with pc. The games look excellent and they dont need to power of the pc to run.
It's not about the power of the PC, but making more money. Seems Square finally realized they can make a nice profit by finally releasing older games on Steam.:)

I have the hd versions on vita so I dont see any need to why I would want to play it with pc. The games look excellent and they dont need to power of the pc to run.

That is why I don't buy them on Steam.

It's not about the power of the PC, but making more money. Seems Square finally realized they can make a nice profit by finally releasing older games on Steam.:)

Exactly - why just stick with a certain audience when you can tap into millions more gamers?

Back
Top Bottom