Cyberpunk 2077 - CD Projekt RED Partnership

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Gematsu reports that CD Projekt RED has partnered with Digital Scapes Studios on Cyberpunk 2077.

About Digital Scapes Studios and the Partnership

Founded by industry veterans hailing from BioWare, Radical Entertainment and Relic, Digital Scapes is an ambitious video game development studio specializing in AAA multiplayer console and PC game development, development tool creation, asset production, and cloud computing. Digital Scapes team members worked on blockbuster game series like Company of Heroes, Warhammer 40,000, Dying Light, Prototype, and more.

The Canadian partner studio will closely cooperate with CD Projekt RED on creating and optimizing technological solutions for use in the development of Cyberpunk 2077.

[...]
More information.

So yeah kinda confused her as the game is already in alpha. What is this company going to be used for? Will it be the future online portion, or porting the console version?

Well, the optimist in me hopes they're there to tweak gameplay more appropriate to Cyperpunk's FPS style (since it's a departure from the Witcher's swordplay) - as ID software did for Fallout 4. But that's a complete monkey-outta-my-ass theory. They're more likely to be handling Console porting, so it doesn't bog down the primary team.

Yeah, that is a bit strange that late in development. Could also mean the game is farther off than 2019...

So yeah kinda confused her as the game is already in alpha. What is this company going to be used for? Will it be the future online portion, or porting the console version?

Definitely tools/tech for Multiplayer ( probably a separate release, like GTA online or something). They've stated ( a long while back) they've got all people they need for SP.

It does strike me as odd to bring them in at this (apparently) late stage, though. I would have thought that you'd need to design the game for multiplayer from the get go. Retrofitting multiplayer to a game of this complexity would be an unholy nightmare. I'd have thought you'd need the input from the multiplayer side from the beginning.

Perhaps they have designed it for multiplayer, and are just leaving all the technicalities of the server implementations and so forth to a third party.

Earlier this year, CDPR said no multiplayer for Cyberpunk 2077 at launch.

Digital Scapes Studios is hiring for both multiplayer and level design jobs right now, doesn't mean it's all for Cyberpunk 2077 though. They are a mercenary studio.

Back
Top Bottom