RPGWatch @ Gamescom - The Waylanders Preview

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
The Waylanders was announced right before Gamescom, has a story with Spanish influences and time traveling. Here is what I learned at Gamescom.

The Waylanders is a universe that has been realized as both a video game and a board game. The developers were inspired by games such as Dragon's Age and Baldur's Gate and Mike Laidlaw is working with them on the story as a consultant. The game is inspired by the myths of the Spanish region of Galicia. The main story is about time travel and takes place in the Celtic era in Brigantia and the middle ages, where Christianity has replaced a lot of the Celtic history. Note for those who try to look Brigantia up, this is not the English Celtic area, but the Spanish one, which has a mythological origin.
Only the main character will be able to travel through time, but some of your party members might have an incarnation in the other time era. You will need to travel back and forth in order to stop the seed of evil that has been planted in the past. You stop it by using the right combination of choices in both time eras and eventually kill the one who is responsible. However as none of that was implemented, it could not be shown.
More information.

Here is what I was told about The Waylanders.

Sounds simplifieid - not as bad as embers but enough that I'm not sure it will offer real variety. I esp dislike the part about dead characters automagically rising. I remember in the first real party base game I played (I think ice wind dale or wiz 8) when i died i didn't know what to do - i had to scrounge around and eventually carry the corpse back to town (or maybe it was too heavy and i had to go back to town and then return - hum must have been icewind - in wiz 8 you don't have corpse per sey -- anyway it was frustrating but it made the game much more rewarding in the end.

I'm still confused on the formation system. Do formations only provide different stat bonus, or is there an actual physical impact calculated like in RTS games?

Your stats are increased, compared to the stat of a single person, so the damage you inflict is a lot higher as well.

Thanks for another Gamescom preview and for a game I'm very interested in.:highfive:

But this seems interesting, espec that party formation add on. Seems in a lot of ways a proper sequel to DA Origins.

Back
Top Bottom