Star Citizen Info Thread

Missions from a vending machine... oh man... The game's web page doesn't exactly inspire confidence, either. It will have futuristic combat and will allow total freedom! But who knows, maybe they'll pull something off.

To the great disappointment of many, Star Citizen 3.0 Alpha has been delayed until September (2017)

♥We’ve pushed far past the technological boundaries that were previously considered impossible to build the foundation of the Star Citizen universe. Working on 3.0 has certainly introduced variables and challenges that we could never have anticipated, and these just do not always cater to a tidy date on a calendar.
They could never have anticipated the challenges of variables. Could be a sign of bad planning.
♥As gamers, we are conditioned to consider all dates as static points in time that we can wrap our heads around and plan for in advance. The nature of this project does not neatly fit into that mold due to the complexity of what we’re building, and with what we learn about what's possible and needed along the way. These date ranges are dynamic according to the challenges presented to us at that time, and we actively maintain that to keep you up to date.
I'd even go one step further and say as normal people we consider dates as static points in time. But I'll try this one next time I'm late for work.
♥The scope of 3.0 is not insignificant, as Chris discussed in https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link//15842-Letter-From-The-Chairman-The-Road-Ahead. It introduces a level of tech and infrastructure that’s an order of magnitude larger and more complex than all of our previous versions combined. There are thousands of new assets, millions of entities to manage, new UI, new features, multiple new backend services, etc. all being introduced in 3.0.
Why do I feel like they left out the "for which we could not have anticipated" here?
♥Integrating all of this has revealed to be MUCH more of a bug fixing project than anticipated, which obviously reshapes those estimates and changes those dates. Hammering in a level of polish that we’ve not aimed for before requires an additional adjustment of dates.
Squashing bugs really isn't polish. Polish is what more you can do when there's nothing left to fix.
♥There’s certainly no malice behind it, and anyone who makes that claim is providing an uninformed opinion. Ask any project manager or developer who worked on sophisticated software or has been involved on a complex project with lots of dependencies and moving parts. They'll gladly share how challenging a task of estimates can be.
Of course there's no malice. No one would suggest this delay is just to piss people off. I would have prefered a more relevant word like "incompetence" or "tragic waste of enough funds to make 37 pillars of eternity or elite dangerouseses"

I think its funny he says "uninformed opinion" since that's the line dart gave me. Now I know where you got it from! :p

Hopefully their dedicated team working on producing packages and ships for the real Believers goes on without incurring any delay. It must be a relief for Rob than something is always on time.

I think Sandi Gardiner might secretly hate Chris Roberts. Shes always so much more relaxed when she does the video with someone else.

I bet he just walks around yelling at everyone to finish his game and doesn't actually do any real work on it. People see him coming and its all "LOOK BUSY" then when he's gone (to buy another Porsche) they all relax again. :p

It seems she is married to him. That might explain it ;)

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Rest assured I'm also looking forward to see what comes out of it. But you are right, I don't follow things in detail. I will see it when it comes out. Was genuinely surprised here.

Rest assured I'm also looking forward to see what comes out of it. But you are right, I don't follow things in detail. I will see it when it comes out. Was genuinely surprised here.

I wasn't referring to you ;)

A lot of non-fans know too - and they seem to care more.

I'd say if you haven't been made aware of it, it's probably one of the most obvious signs of not having followed the project at all.

Yeah, but you say a lot of dumb things :p

Personally, I would never suggest that a lack of knowledge of the developers personal lives was any indication of a lack of knowledge about the game they're developing.

That said, I probably know more about the development than most people on this site. I'd say top 5 at least.

…and I still think she secretly hates him :p

Can you show me in an ATV or something where it's mentioned? Seems pretty inappropriate information to include in a video about a game

Latest ATV with the new "Burndown" feature which is about the road to 3.0 - and publically revealing details of the remaining obstacles. They will do one of these every week until release to spell out progress for everyone.

Thanks, DArt souls!

Can you see just in the first 30 seconds she's like "its great having you here too, man" as though shes being polite but you can tell shes serious. :D

I watched to "welcome to Burndown, the section where we detail our delay excuses" before closing.

People attending Gamescom have the chance to play on an alpha-version of 3.0 (with QT disabled so you are stuck around Daymar). They got access to Daymar, a moon a Crusader, with an Ursula Rover and Cutlass ship. Atmospheric re-entry is in, surface outposts, the new UI and interaction system.

There are pictures all over twitter.

People attending Gamescom have the chance to play on an alpha-version of 3.0 (with QT disabled so you are stuck around Daymar). They got access to Daymar, a moon a Crusader, with an Ursula Rover and Cutlass ship. Atmospheric re-entry is in, surface outposts, the new UI and interaction system.

There are pictures all over twitter.

I believe the "exciting" part of SC at Gamescom will happen Friday with the live stream.

I'll post the inevitable YT video afterwards :)

It's the first time fans (and whoever gets to go at Gamescom) can play with 3.0 features so I'm sure they are existed over there.

I suspect the Friday live stream is going to be more of the same stuff though (+ one new ship with 2 variants and new weapons). They are done adding new features and I don't see anyone expecting SQ42 this time. lol

It's the first time fans (and whoever gets to go at Gamescom) can play with 3.0 features so I'm sure they are existed over there.

I suspect the Friday live stream is going to be more of the same stuff though (+ one new ship with 2 variants and new weapons). They are done adding new features and I don't see anyone expecting SQ42 this time. lol

Oh, I have a feeling there's a little more to it ;)

Back
Top Bottom