The Escapist - Couple Names Daugther Tali'Zorah

aries100

SasqWatch
From The Escapist comes news that a couple will name their daugther Tali'Zorah:

Since day 1, her first name was always going to be Tali'Zorah. It's not necessarily "named after Mass Effect", but rather my wife fell in love with the name during our first playthrough of ME1 many years ago. Confused friends and relatives are told "we wanted a nice Quarian name" just because it's funny to see the confusion become worse.
Kotaku also has this story. They mention a comment from the above thread:

By that standard, Tali is easily a wonderful name for a little girl. It's beautiful, mellifluous, and appealingly feminine. But in the forum thread, the "'Zorah" suffix (surname?) is what bothers some. "Luke" is an excellent name, for example. (Of course it is!) But when this girl is 17 and filling out "Tali'Zorah" on her SAT bubble sheet, "That's kind of like calling your kid 'Luke Skywalker Smith," reasoned one commenter.
So, do you agree eith this or would you name your child after a video game character?

More information.

Well it's better than my last name. :biggrin:

The girl will have a wonderful time growing up at least. I'm reminded of the scene in ME3 were Jacob tells Shepard about not naming his child after him/her.

Last edited:
I can see why Tali'Zorah = Luke Skywalker = not necessary cool.
But on the other hand: Tali'Zorah is very specific and wont make it through time as Luke Skywalker will. In the first couple of years, it's irrelevant anyways. When the kid is 6 or so, she and all the other kids and also most of the teachers wont know what the name means. And when she is finally old enough to play the games - guess what: The games are already that old, that nobody will play the games anymore or remember where the name is coming from.
In addition Tali'Zorah isn't a normal english word-construct as Luke Skywalker is.

Instead you can see it as a unique name. I mean...would you prefer to be named "John" (USA), "Peter" (Germany) or "Ivan" (Russia) instead? Personally I'd rather be named like a video character which (in the scene) is universially seen as a cool character.

Didn't say that there aren't any.
But would you rather be named Boris or Steffi because Boris Becker or Steffi Graf were good in tennis? Or Kevin because there was a movie with an "adorable" child called Kevin? ^^

Or Kevin because there was a movie with an "adorable" child called Kevin? ^^

I got picked on all the time in school, and by various family members in the early 90's. All thanks to Home Alone and it's sequels. I hate that damn movie.:)wry:)

Last edited:
I got picked on all the time in school, and by various family members in the early 90's. All thanks to Home Alone and it's sequels. I hate that damn movie.:)wry:)

Is your real name Macaulay Potato?

Last edited:
Another good reason to hate Macaulay Calkin. I suppose I shouldn't have since he was just a kid and all, but I just couldn't help myself.

Home Alone and it's sequels. I hate that damn movie.:)wry:)
Watched only the first one, got sick of that idiocy and thus never watched it's sequels.

One of worst movies ever made. Did Spielberd had his hands in it? Usually it's him filming live action kids as superintelligent and godlike beings. Someone ahould tell him to go make cartoons with that stuff - there it can work.

Yeah I would hate to have the last name "Potato" also Couch.;)

Yeah I would hate to have the last name "Potato" also Couch.;)
Maybe I should sue Mr. Potato Head for copy right infringement.:biggrin:

Seriously my last name is a proud Irish clan name, but I hate it when people call my last name. People literally look around to see who it is.

Maybe I should start wearing a kilt and use an accent.

Last edited:
Names are ultimately pretty meaningless, so I guess it's a good a name as any.

That said, I would recommend picking a name that's least likely to be an issue for the child - and being named after a prominent computer game could be asking for trouble.

But what do I know.

I've taught at a variety of Jewish schools and Tali is actually quite a common girls name. Thus, this really shouldn't be news unless some BioWare fan has too much time on their hands. ;)

Anyone care to call their kids nameless hero, Gwyn, Smough, Tyranthraxus, Irenicus or just Guardian? Then you might have something newsworthy. :D

Edit: P.S: Don't forget Xardas or Gorn. ;) Lester is actually conceivable tho'.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom