WotR Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous kickstarter updates

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous
The game IS / seems to be big, so I guess that "doing big/weird stuff" is to be expected …
(And with "big" I mean "big like an Opera".)

Just finished the BETA ... so sad its over as its been a state of pure 100% gaming bliss for the last 4 weeks of playing every night and weekend. Haven't had this much fun since sinking into Baldurs Gates (well fun based on my memory of that anyhow). Just superb. Love the story, the characters, the setting, the variety - so many different things to see and do. Instead of just dungeon crawling, or just exploring and opening up a map, etc., it had lots of variety - wilderness, cities, dungeons, planar travel, armies and crusades.

Excellent music, epic encounters very well handled, fantastic character building and options, could go on and on. No wonder Purple is such a fan.

I can hardly wait till September. This game may rise to the very top of my favorite list of all time, depending on how it all comes together and ends once released.

While I may tinker some I probably won't replay the whole thing, too easy to get burnt. But will see.

For now will let is rest while I enjoy the afterglow and memories and think about what might come.

They seem to be adding some mod support too already. That would be very nice. I'm not sure how much can be nodded but anything is helpful.

Update 0.6.3a

We have a small beta update today which will add functionality for the mods.

- We added an interface for mods, similar to Unity Mod Manager, by default it opens with Alt+M
- We added Harmony, a library for patching the code.

We also uploaded Wrath modification template you can see here. https://github.com/OwlcatOpenSource/WrathModificationTemplate
We would appreciate feedback from both mod makers and mod users on these tools!

There were two minor updates recently, but not directly related to the content.

0.6.3c: Today's update contains minor technical fixes for the bug report tool.
0.6.3cq: Today's small update 0.6.3cq adds a link to beta survey in main menu.

Today is the last opportunity for the beta 2 survey. It's about the same length as the beta 1 survey, depending on how many acts you have completed.

Camera Survey

Do you remember the discussion on the camera? :p

Owlcat Games is asking the opinion of beta players about it: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfLXn42TVSQGxDZOxPU6_bgNBpEE7NPq-7wQLi5USqYF4b00A/viewform

It's really short, the question is:

Have you experienced any discomfort from the rotation of camera in PF:WotR beta? Such as motion sickness, headache etc. *
No, I always felt ok
Yes, occasionally
Yes, quite often

I'm not sure where it's coming from, have some people felt sick because of an isometric-like camera which can rotate? o_o

Anyway, I thought you'd get a kick from reading this :D And for those who played, time to voice your opinion.

Not surprised as people have motion sickness or get seizures. As for me I remember playing a game with flashing lights & camera rotation that caused discomfort.

It wasn't a seizure but my eyes did get bothered.

Not surprised as people have motion sickness or get seizures. As for me I remember playing a game with flashing lights & camera rotation that caused discomfort.

It wasn't a seizure but my eyes did get bothered.
Yeah, if a game moves the point of view like crazy, has many visual effects like you describe, or people prone to epileptic seizures. But many games have used a simple top-down rotating camera, I've never heard of that as a common issue. There are no stroboscope effects in WotR.

Maybe it's during the cut scenes, when the user has no control of the rotation. With a very big screen, perhaps.

Companion trailer

I'm not sure yet if I'll put that in a separate thread for the companions or not. Maybe it's a bit of a spoiler to some who prefer to discover that in the game? It's not the first time they present the companions though.

For now, here's a trailer for one of the companions, Woljif.

Opinion on the current state of the beta and what to expect from this game. I mostly agree, although I don't share his concern about the expansive choice of classes and archetypes.

If I had a concern about complexity, it would be the whole stack of character evolution with races, classes and mythic paths, on top of the crusade system and the kingdom management. It is not a simple, casual game, and it will require a little commitment, but I think it's well-known by now, and it's what makes it great IMO :)

PS: by "corruption system", I think he means the kingdom management (heavily reduced from Kingmaker)

Thanks for the updates on this, Red. And I'm pleased to hear about any and all management reductions in this upcoming release, in the end I found that to be a mostly tedious aspect of the prior game. It started off fun, yet plummeted to pure micro-managing in the worst of ways for me by the end.

Thanks for the updates on this, Red. And I'm pleased to hear about any and all management reductions in this upcoming release, in the end I found that to be a mostly tedious aspect of the prior game. It started off fun, yet plummeted to pure micro-managing in the worst of ways for me by the end.

That's always how management feels :lol:

Some good news for beta players :)
Well, good news if you don't mind another wipe, only a few days left to finish your current run!

Greetings, crusaders!

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous development is in its final stages. And soon the third and the last beta test will begin! We are expecting the final beta to start in the middle of July, but we wanted to warn you that it will most definitely affect your saves! Saved games from the previous beta won't be compatible with the new update!

Why does it happen? As we update our game, adding new content and removing placeholders, or fixing bugs, some links to old blueprints (an aggregate of certain data in Unity) in your saved games become invalid. And your old saves either won't load or will work incorrectly if you manage to load them. That's why we decided to warn you in advance, so you'd have time to finish the beta before it updates.

We greatly appreciate your help in making our game better! Thank you for your support and feedback, and stay tuned for more news about the final stage of beta!

Once again, we would like to remind you to check your account on Wrath's backers' portal. If you can't log into your account, or managed to log in, but don't see your Kickstarter pledge in your orders, please send us an email to team@owlcatgames.com, and we will help you! Backers' portal will be used to distribute the keys for the game when it's released, so please don't neglect this step or you won't be able to claim your copy of Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous.

To arms!

I'm not even at Drezen, just done Lost Chapel to hear the nice music one more time :)

I don't really follow this game but why did they do another kickstart if the game sold 1.2 million copies? Did they really need backer money again?

Well, I should have read the next google article. The 1.2 million copies was for two games combined; Outward and P:K. That's probably not a lot of dosh after all.

Last edited:
Well, I should have read the next google article. The 1.2 million copies was for two games combined; Outward and P:K. That's probably not a lot of dosh after all.

Owlcat has only released Pathfinder: Kingmaker so far. Not sure why Outward would be mentioned there since that's from a different developer.

I don't really follow this game but why did they do another kickstart if the game sold 1.2 million copies? Did they really need backer money again?
It's a formula that works well for them because they interact a lot with backers during the development, with multiple alpha and beta stages.

From what I understand, it could have been a long EA instead, but even after the success of the first game they needed to make sure they had enough money to expand the team. The 2nd game is not just DLC level, it builds a lot on Kingmaker. They could fund all the stretch goals, except the last one (though they do implement it), so they knew what they could afford and made their plans accordingly.

Owlcat has only released Pathfinder: Kingmaker so far. Not sure why Outward would be mentioned there since that's from a different developer.
Probably because it's the same publisher (but yeah, not relevant for this question).
EDIT: coming from this new article, probably
Pathfinder: Kingmaker (combined with Outward) has sold more than 1.2 million copies on PC and console as of 2020 for Koch Media, helping Owlcat raise $1 million in funding from GEM Capital in 2019.
Now they're with META Publishing for WotR, initially they were planning to self-publish it.

Last edited:
Seems to be the new trend to switch/find new publishers in Early Access.

Back
Top Bottom