Vampyr - Sold more than 1 Million Copies

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
DSOGaming reports that Vampyr has sold more than 1 million copies.

Focus Home Interactive and DONTNOD Entertainment have announced that Vampyr, the first game of their partnership, has sold more than a million copies to this date. As such, the companies have decided to renew their partnership.

[...]

According to the press release, DONTNOD will be working on a really ambitious new project (which will be obviously published by Focus Home).
More information.

Not bad for a middle-ware budget game. Still have to play it though.:(

I'm happy to hear this.
I also want to play it but since my backlog is still pretty big, I didn't end up buying it.
Guess I can thank Epic for allowing me to the backlog :)

Yep, this is the sort of RPG I was talking about in the other thread - mid-budget indie single-player RPG, with decent graphics. This is a full-price game, shifting a million copies. I suspect they've done VERY well on this.

i hated the characters. couldnt last over1h in playing it. not sure if i should be happy or sad

The comments at DSOGaming are all in the category of "it was a trash game". I don't remember people hating it that much when it released.

I am happy it sold 1m copies though. The mid-budget market needs more success stories so publishers stop putting all their monies into bland super monetized AAA games.

The mid-budget market needs more success stories so publishers stop putting all their monies into bland super monetized AAA games.

From pretty much every corner of the internet I found mention of this game (which, admittedly, isn't all-encompassing) all I heard was that this game was pretty boring and bland, so I'm not sure how encouraging and trumpeting bland AA titles saves us from bland AAA titles, but I think I understand your point.

Neat, this was my goty from last year, great game.

Ahhh, so your the guy that loved this one! John... hey, John, I've found him!

It was interesting with the interactions between the characters, but if you were trying for a good ending, then the fights just got too hard. Boss battles were pretty horrible.

I finished on normal without killing citizens, it was pretty easy. Combat was like in the souls games and got easier as you advanced intot he game and unlocking some neat skills. Hardest fight was midway into the game against your sister, around 10 minutes long, she had some nasty skills/moves.

I loved the story, characters, investigations, city design and atmosphere, the consequences and so on. Maybe people expected something else and that is way they hate it.

I never came accross anyone who hated it. I suspect the number of people who hated it is about the same number who loved it. The 'consensus', ie: the prevailing opinion one gets the impression of after a lot of exposure to many reactions, was that it was just a bit bland and boring. There are lots of different ways people have articulated this without using the words bland and boring, such as dissappointing, lacklustre, doesn't really go anywhere, repetative etc, but in the main I can't say I ever noticed any particular vehemence with the game, it was always more of a case of enjoying it for a good while then slowly getting bored and looking for something else to play without passing too much emotion either way.

I enjoyed Vampyr. It isn't a great or very good game, but it is in my view a good game and I was glad that I played it. I am glad that it sold over 1 mil copies.

If I remember correctly, a primary complaint about it was the combat but I found that to be a strength of the game.

I really enjoyed Vampyr. A great deal of moral decisions in a really hopeless backdrop. The atmosphere of the game is fantastic (probably not the appropriate word) so I am glad this game has been a moderate success.

I enjoyed Vampyr. It isn't a great or very good game, but it is in my view a good game and I was glad that I played it. I am glad that it sold over 1 mil copies.

If I remember correctly, a primary complaint about it was the combat but I found that to be a strength of the game.

I guess most of the views about this game came from the fact that they were the Life is Strange developers, so a lot of the fanbase of that game checked out this game. LiS had zero combat and was 100% about dealing with social dilemmas, or, rather, moral decisions as SkullScience references.

So it's another case of fans of one specific newsfeed being hyped up for something that wasn't really what they wanted. The game still had the moral side to it, but not in the same way LiS did it, and for many the combat would have been a chore to that entirely.

Back
Top Bottom