GOG - Summer Sale Finale: Shadowrun Trilogy Giveaway

Not bad I own all three games already but for those who don't download them. If you do download don't forget to play a few various campaign mods that available on Steam.

This seems like a corporate ploy to get us to browse their web site for deals.

(/fake indignation mode off) Mission successful, as I saw some good deals although on games I already own.

I really enjoyed the Shadowrun games, especially the director's cut of the second one. No reason not to grab these for free.

Generally, I loathe private companies pretending to give away free stuff. But in world of online distribution I have soft spot for GOG. Resurrection of many great games of my youth and no-DRM policy are main reasons why I support them. On the other hand, my main gripe is updating via Galaxy. Re-downloading whole games and weird space requirements for patching are just examples.

If anyone has yet to play Shadowrun Returns (or perhaps lost interest and never finished it) the way I'd recommend playing it is to not install it. Instead, get the mod Dead Man's Switch: Vox Populi for Shadowrun Hong Kong. It's basically an unofficial enhanced edition. The original was criticized for being very short and linear and this helps a bit in that department Some new side quests and all of the improvements that came with DF and HK.

I'd also highly recommend the mods "The Caldecott Caper" for Dragonfall and its sequel "CalFree in Chains" for SRHK. Really great adventures that are comparable to the official campaigns in depth. Antumbra Saga (Dragonfall) is actually the first part in this trilogy so you might want to try that too, but I found it harder to get into.

I liked GOG for the first year or so of its existence. Since then, they might as well have changed their name to SOS, same old shite. For those afraid of DRM and Steam, I guess they're better than nothing.

So excited to get a deal on games that have been out forever, yet again! Goody! Yippee!

/sarcasm

I use GoG to purchase games to play on my off-line very old Laptop that has a technological age of 2009. It isn't a machine prioritised for games either and so I don't tend to like putting games on there that require more than 1GB of RAM.

As a result I tend to play a lot of games from the early 2000s, and being able to download the file and stick it in the laptop without any need for an on-line component or third party gateway software extremely useful and so GoG is quite important for me.

I've gone through quite a lot of games though and I'm getting to the point where it's harder to find new games to put on it, as even very graphically backward modern games seem to want 2GB RAM or even 4GB RAM as their minimum and the stock of unplayed games from the old era that might interest me diminishes each year.

Having got thoroughly bored of Tropic 2 far quicker than I expected I've spent a lot of this week trying to find the next game to put on it.

I finally found one that looked right up my street, Knights of Honour, a game from 2005 which seems to combine Medieval: Total War with Crusader Kings, an RTS kingdom strategy game with quite a lot of depth and interesting visuals and combat.

Bizarrely enough, it seems this game is available on Steam while being unavailable on GoG. Which just doesn't make any sense to me.

Back to the drawing board I go.

Any suggestions very much welcome.

I use GoG to purchase games to play on my off-line very old Laptop that has a technological age of 2009. It isn't a machine prioritised for games either and so I don't tend to like putting games on there that require more than 1GB of RAM.

As a result I tend to play a lot of games from the early 2000s, and being able to download the file and stick it in the laptop without any need for an on-line component or third party gateway software extremely useful and so GoG is quite important for me.

I've gone through quite a lot of games though and I'm getting to the point where it's harder to find new games to put on it, as even very graphically backward modern games seem to want 2GB RAM or even 4GB RAM as their minimum and the stock of unplayed games from the old era that might interest me diminishes each year.

Having got thoroughly bored of Tropic 2 far quicker than I expected I've spent a lot of this week trying to find the next game to put on it.

I finally found one that looked right up my street, Knights of Honour, a game from 2005 which seems to combine Medieval: Total War with Crusader Kings, an RTS kingdom strategy game with quite a lot of depth and interesting visuals and combat.

Bizarrely enough, it seems this game is available on Steam while being unavailable on GoG. Which just doesn't make any sense to me.

Back to the drawing board I go.

Any suggestions very much welcome.

I am in the same boat as you, and my laptop is from 2010 and unfortunately only OpenGL 2.1 (so for example it can't run Battle Brothers). I also tend to avoid Unity games for this purpose.

What type of games are you searching for (crpg, rts, space sim, survival .. etc.)?

Also you know that Steam has an offline mode, so that you can download and install the game online, and then run it in offline mode.

I am in the same boat as you, and my laptop is from 2010 and unfortunately only OpenGL 2.1 (so for example it can't run Battle Brothers). I also tend to avoid Unity games for this purpose.

What type of games are you searching for (crpg, rts, space sim, survival .. etc.)?

Also you know that Steam has an offline mode, so that you can download and install the game online, and then run it in offline mode.

Yes, I'm aware of Steam's offline mode, but the laptop is so old and cranky that if I went online and loaded up steam it would probably collapse under the weight of so much on-line activity. It simply can't can't cope with being on-line in the first place. Even going onto Big Fish to buy and download the next Nancy Drew game is an exercise in extreme patience.

Just downloading the game onto a stick and then putting the stick in it is such a massive QoL feature that it's my massively preferred option.

Not to worry on recommendations, I suddenly remembered @xSamhainx; talking about the enduring quality of Majesty (2000) and also remembered I had watched a respectable Youtuber give it a 5* recommendation a few months back, so that's my next new adventure.

I also remembered Dorateen has released his Knights of the Chalice 2 Mod Harkenwold on Nexus Mods, so I've downloaded that as well. These two should keep me busy for a while.

If you're looking for some good recommends from me, then some of the games I've played for the first time like this over the past few years have been, in no particular order:

Tales of Maj'Eyal - Roguelike, 3.25/5
Stronghold HD - mission-based RTS 5/5
Avadon 1-3 - Vogel RPGs 3.75/5
Eschalon Books 1-3 - Indy RPGs 4.25/5
Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky 1-2 - jRPGs first 4.25/5, second 3.5/5
Anno 1602 and 1404 - Naval and builder RTSes first 4/5, second 3.5/5
Legends of Eisenwald - Indy strategy RPG 3.5/5
Tropico 1-2 - Economic & Builder RTSes, both 3.75/5
Banished - builder RTS 3.5/5
Might & Magic 1-2 - extremely old blobber RPGs, 3/5
Caesar 2-3 - builder RTSes first 3.75/5, second 3/5
Zeus + Poseidon - as Caesar, 3/5
King of Dragon Pass - TBS 2.75/5
Port Royale - Naval & Builder RTS 4/5
Nox - aRPG 4/5
Geneforge 1 - Vogel RPG, 3.5/5
Avernum 1-5 - Vogel RPGs 5/5
Age of Wonders 2 - fantasy TBS 4/5
Age of Wonders 2 Shadow Magic - as above but 5/5
Crusader Kings 1 - Paradox RTS 3.5/5
Paper Sorcerer - Indy small blobber RPG 3.75/5

Edit: oh yeah, and tons of Nancy Drew games and also Hidden Object games from Big Fish Games

Last edited:

I'm looking for them for a long time on GOG, but they're there only in English language.
I have them on CD in German language, so I know that they exist.

Yes, I'm aware of Steam's offline mode, but the laptop is so old and cranky that if I went online and loaded up steam it would probably collapse under the weight of so much on-line activity. It simply can't can't cope with being on-line in the first place. Even going onto Big Fish to buy and download the next Nancy Drew game is an exercise in extreme patience.

Just downloading the game onto a stick and then putting the stick in it is such a massive QoL feature that it's my massively preferred option.

Not to worry on recommendations, I suddenly remembered @xSamhainx; talking about the enduring quality of Majesty (2000) and also remembered I had watched a respectable Youtuber give it a 5* recommendation a few months back, so that's my next new adventure.

I also remembered Dorateen has released his Knights of the Chalice 2 Mod Harkenwold on Nexus Mods, so I've downloaded that as well. These two should keep me busy for a while.

If you're looking for some good recommends from me, then some of the games I've played for the first time like this over the past few years have been, in no particular order:

Tales of Maj'Eyal - Roguelike, 3.25/5
Stronghold HD - mission-based RTS 5/5
Avadon 1-3 - Vogel RPGs 3.75/5
Eschalon Books 1-3 - Indy RPGs 4.25/5
Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky 1-2 - jRPGs first 4.25/5, second 3.5/5
Anno 1602 and 1404 - Naval and builder RTSes first 4/5, second 3.5/5
Legends of Eisenwald - Indy strategy RPG 3.5/5
Tropico 1-2 - Economic & Builder RTSes, both 3.75/5
Banished - builder RTS 3.5/5
Might & Magic 1-2 - extremely old blobber RPGs, 3/5
King of Dragon Pass - TBS 2.75/5
Port Royale - Naval & Builder RTS 4/5
Nox - aRPG 4/5
Geneforge 1 - Vogel RPG, 3.5/5
Avernum 1-5 - Vogel RPGs 5/5
Age of Wonders 2 - fantasy TBS 4/5
Age of Wonders 2 Shadow Magic - as above but 5/5
Crusader Kings 1 - Paradox RTS 3.5/5
Paper Sorcerer - Indy small blobber RPG 3.75/5

Edit: oh yeah, and tons of Nancy Drew games and also Hidden Object games from Big Fish Games
À few ideas

Castles 2

Theme hospital

The settlers 2 or 3

I assume you've played heroes of Might and Magic 2 or 3

Constructor classic 1997

I'll stop here

Yeah, I played the Settler game when it came out, it didn't do anything for me for some reason. Yes, played all the HoMM games 1-3. Not really into tycoon games, so theme hospital never appealed, even though it's not really a tycoon game, if you know what I mean. Not into direct Sims either, which is what constructor sounds like (?). I'll check out Castles 2.

Yeah, I played the Settler game when it came out, it didn't do anything for me for some reason. Yes, played all the HoMM games 1-3. Not really into tycoon games, so theme hospital never appealed, even though it's not really a tycoon game, if you know what I mean. Not into direct Sims either, which is what constructor sounds like (?). I'll check out Castles 2.
Oh I forgot to mention Warlords Battlecry (forgot which number I played), Seven Kingdoms Ancient Adversaries and Knights & Merchants

Played and enjoyed? Played because there is some theme to them?

So I briefly checked out Castles 2, and, jeez, that's 1992, that's kinda-a-bit very old for games in and around 2000 and while I was in a temporary dry patch, I think I'd have to be desert parched to try something like that. No offence to lovers of old beep-beep games, but there's a reason I didn't really start playing PC games until around 1995.

Played and enjoyed? Played because there is some theme to them?

I played and enjoyed Knights and Merchants a lot. I found it quite difficult, but I was really bad at games though at the time.

Seven Kingdoms is an interesting RTS in that it's as much about managing populations as it is about research, spying and training up troops to attack. Although, I remember now that the code was released and is still sometimes updated by fans. Might want to use that version instead... It's free too.

https://7kfans.com/

Warlords Battlecry 2 was a mistake. It is Warlords 3 Darklords rising that I remember playing.

https://www.gog.com/game/warlords_iii_darklords_rising

It is a turn based strategy game and as I am not good at fast-paced gamesI really enjoyed at the time. I have no clue how well it's aged, but it was quite easy to understand as a game and had lots of nice elements for the time.

Back
Top Bottom