Odd Gods - New Screenshots

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
On Twitter one of the developers of Odd Gods showed off some new screenshots.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet">
D7T6ZitUcAAegxg.jpg
[/quote]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet">
D7T8p3jU8AAmHOZ.png
D7T-D_XVsAA2uP0.jpg
D7T-Gc2VUAAz6be.jpg

[/quote]

More information.

Was wondering what happened to this game as news was scarce lately.:(

It's been in development for a few years already but the developer hasn't revealed much yet. As I said above it's been a while so I was worried something happened.

Website - https://www.inn-between-worlds.com/

Here is the Features list from the website:

There is no chosen one. A grungy, low fantasy story set at the end of the 1990s.

Classic 'isometric' camera on 3D characters and scenes.

Colourful, 'low budget B-Movie' Art style

Subculture class system based on 1990s archetypes (Skateboarders, Goths, Ravers, Jocks, Nerds etc).

Music Genre 'alignment' system (Mainstream, Alternative, Underground).

Party-based turn-based combat system ('Same Phase' system with no RNG, no % to hit, just tactics).

Narrative features branching paths and multiple endings.

Hand-crafted exploration, narrative and combat content. No level-scaling, no procedural generation, no random encounters.

Original subculture soundtrack recorded with period instruments (where possible).

90s-era difficulty. Odd Gods is not a game for the faint of heart, but the system is 'fair'. Friendly fire is on by default. No bullet sponges. No resurrection spells - death is final... Mostly.

Take modern weapons back to older eras (Ancient, Medieval, Early Modern) and vice-versa, but keep an eye on your ammo count and penicillin, for example.

.... No elves, no magic swords, orcs, or any of that guff.

Estimated length: 12hrs including side content:
(a) we're a small indie studio and don't have the capacity for more
(b) we actually want players to finish the game.

Sounds very interesting, although a bit of RNG is never bad.

Estimated length: 12hrs including side content:
(a) we're a small indie studio and don't have the capacity for more
(b) we actually want players to finish the game. [/I]

12-15 hours is actually a perfect length for me. I love how they are honest about it, but I don't know how far the honesty will get them, marketing-wise.

Subculture class system based on 1990s archetypes (Skateboarders, Goths, Ravers, Jocks, Nerds etc).

Music Genre 'alignment' system (Mainstream, Alternative, Underground).

Been dreaming of doing a RPG like that myself for years, late 80's setting. You play as some nerdy kid with friends (think Stranger Things meets The Warriors).

I've never understod why someone hasn't picked up that setting years ago, it begs to be an RPG. The 80's and 90's with all its group mentality, the Goth's hang out in this café, the Synthpop-people gather in that place, Punks goes well with the Synth people and they both hate the hard-rock dudes etc.. haha, it's so nerdy and cool.

Hope it ends up great.

Cons: An afternoon needed to finish a game.

Pros: Goth Annie got a story:

Annie_Splash_1.jpg

Sadly, cons outweight pros in my case, I need 40+ hours games which means... I'll be looking elsewhere. Nice ideas though.

It looks like Temple of Elemental Evil to me. Never did end up finishing that one, but it sure was fun to keep starting with new patties.

Seems a bit short for my liking, but I'll keep an eye on this one and see what people think after it's fully released. Even a short game can be quite fun if done well.

I really don't understand the rationale of the "too short so I won't bother playing it".

I mean, would I like it if my favorite RPGs were a bit longer with some additional quests, one more town or area? Sure, if the quality could be maintained. But part of the reason they're my favorite is because they contain relatively little filler content. The story moves at a good pace, and it doesn't get stale because I'm fighting essentially the same fights over and over again… I prefer a game leave me wanting more to one where I'm thankful it's over (or quit out of boredom).

Also estimated game time varies drastically among players. There's always somebody who will rush through a game, click through all the dialogue, miss side quests and beat the game in half the time. And others who explore every nook & cranny will spend three times the supposed estimated play time. 12 hrs is likely a conservative estimate (e.g., assuming you never have to redo a battle or "get stuck" in some other way).

But anyway, if you don't support the shorter games from an indie developer that is just starting out but has a concept that is otherwise appealing to you, all you do is increase the odds that the game fails, never releasing an expansion or a longer sequel, etc.

I'm sure the short length will mean a lower launch price as well.,

Back
Top Bottom