Non-RPG General News - Star Wars Jedi: Survivor

I still don't see the dichotomy, I don't think there can be one. For example if The Witcher is an RPG, what's missing in SW Jedi: FO?.

Those really aren't comparable imo. I think you'll understand better once you've played it.

Interesting. Story and characters are what are crucial to me for my enjoyment in an action-adventure, as well - and exactly the reason why I avoided Fallen Order, even though I have a weakness for all things Star Wars.
From what I've read and seen in a couple places, all of those seemed to be rather generic and flat in a Force Unleashed way. Especially the main character seemed bland, but not of an RPG-fill in with your own decisions sort but rather in a "universally relatable" regular guy category. And that's just not a viewpoint I find interesting enough to get into.

That was my impression - but I have not played the game. Now you're praising the game for the exact opposite. Have I gotten it wrong?

I wouldn't say the story and characters are anything special. They're not bad though.

What I liked about Fallen Order is the overall atmosphere and Star Wars feel that it captures so well. It has the best lightsaber combat of any game so far, and some really cool set pieces. I also liked the level design which has you returning to previous areas once you have the necessary power to get past an obstacle that blocked you before.
It's nothing like The Force Unleashed which was just a straight action game and much lower quality overall.

For me, the only negative was the loot system which is almost nonexistent. Hopefully they do a better job with that in Survivor.

Sigh if only some developer would actually make a new StarWars RPG. Not a remake or remaster either a new one. BioWare was the last with the MMO version of KOTOR.

It's been almost eighteen years since a new SP RPG for the IP was released.:(

Well, the debate on whether this or the last game qualifies as an 'RPG' aside, I agree with couch in that when we think about a really deep RPG experience, we've not seen that for a long time when it comes to Star Wars. I'll add the same frustration for an IP like LotR.

That all said, the previous game was a great game, so I'm looking forward to a sequel.

It was decent aye but I couldn't get past the platform parts. To much frustration, but again that is a me problem. It was the same problem I had with the unleashed games.

I just wish a proper RPG like KotoR would get made. Wishful thinking I know as games like this sell five million copies. The LotR IP has the same problem as you said.

You know Couchie, somebody will come and say that KotOR isn't even a proper RPG, only Goldbox games, BG and other pixel unplayable stuff were proper RPGs.

But I agree with you, I wish a more RPG-heavy Star Wars was made at some point with AAA production values.

I will probably still play this one. Fallen Order was pretty fun.

You know Couchie, somebody will come and say that KotOR isn't even a proper RPG, only Goldbox games, BG and other pixel unplayable stuff were proper RPGs.

But I agree with you, I wish a more RPG-heavy Star Wars was made at some point with AAA production values.

I will probably still play this one. Fallen Order was pretty fun.
That actually happened before. Once on this site and a bunch on a few mainstream sites over the last ten years. The codex has it out for those games as well. It's hilarious.:lol:

Aspyr is doing the remake but it sounds like a full re-imaging of the old version.

I've been waiting 30 years now for a proper Star Wars Adventure Game. I doubt I'll ever see one, because the top people at both Lucasfilm & Disney ware into "Action".

Proper Adventure games are soooooooo boring ...

I love the game, and this is more or less like Darksouls in a Star Wars setting.
Why darksouls is an RPG and Fallen Order isnt?
For me both are Action games with exploration, and leveling Stats. Fallen order is more fun to explore, dark Souls id more fun as a game. Both are excelent.

I've been waiting 30 years now for a proper Star Wars Adventure Game. I doubt I'll ever see one, because the top people at both Lucasfilm & Disney ware into "Action".

Proper Adventure games are soooooooo boring …
Who boy your right that's when Lucas Arts was independent and not owned by the mouse overlord. They released and licensed the IP to many developers and it worked.

I would love to see more strategy or 4X Star Wars games as well.

I have hopes now, though. They do a new Monkey Island games. But that has *never* been about "Action". Star Wars is too much granded with "Action". Even LucasArts never got away from that.

What I never understood why they didn't do a true 3D strategy game with the engine of Homeworld. That, although they often pushed the envelope in the 90s. And that, even although the makers of Homeworld cited George Lucas as their inspiration.
Someone must have thought that this would be far too complex for the masses, hence Empire at War -> 2D.

They try to sell this myth, but in truth they vote like any other RPG site:
For example:

GotY 2019

2019 must of been a tough year if they had to include platformers!!

I know you already posted it but 2021 is a lot more "traditional" i.e. GotY 2021.

I think it is getting harder to define whether something is a cRPG or not. What I like to do it try to think of what the developers were aiming for i.e. the primary function of the game.

For star wars fallen order I feel it was to be an action game with adventure/action/RPG elements. It has QTE's and running/jumping gameplay.

Witcher 3 on the other hand, while it may look similar at first glance, mostly limits the action elements to combat - dodging enemies attacks and moving into position to attack. Everything else is based on the actual characters skills/equipment rather than the players skill. New combat techniques are solely unlocked through character development and rarely though finding a new item.

Having said that, there are definately elements of Witcher 3, like horse races, that sit more firmly in the "Action" genre. This do a small amount of RPG elements though i.e. horse equipment that gives your horse stats.

That reminds me, where's the next Middle Earth: Shadow of Whatever (hopefully Shadow of Bruz)???

I will be getting this. I liked Fallen Order. One aspect I didn't like was all the backtracking. Every level you had to backtrack a long way to get back to the ship though you did open some shortcuts. In contrast games like Tomb Raider or Skyrim would usually have a shortcut back to the beginning of the level once you completed the dungeon or tomb.

Back
Top Bottom