Fallout - Best to Worst

Aubrielle

Noveliste
Kotaku has ranked the Fallout games, best to worst. (In their opinion, obviously, though that should go without saying.)

Credits to Couch for tonight's news.

In the 18 years since the Fallout franchise was introduced to the world, all of the games have been met with praise—which means that ranking them isn’t easy. It’s especially difficult to pit the games against each other when you consider that the post-nuclear franchise underwent a genre change.

1) We’ll only be covering the main entries in the Fallout franchise; no spin-offs or DLC. Sorry, Tactics!

2) Remember, this is my personal opinion. You might disagree! You’re welcome to comment with your own rankings, if not debate my personal order—although naturally I’ll do my best to justify my choices.

Let’s do this.
More information.

More information.

Makes sense, though I'd swap NV and FO3's positions.

I would have put 4 before both NV and 3.

I'd definitely have put 4 before 3, personally...

Nice list but mine would go like this.:biggrin:

1. Fallout 2
  2. Fallout
  3. Fallout NV
  4. Fallout 3
  5. Fallout 4
Fallout 4 was good but I didn't like all the changes.

Agree with Couch. I haven't actually played 4 yet but I just know it is going to be at the bottom ;) I'm sure i will have a lot of fun with it though.

Before I see the list, first to say, that journalist on Kotaku (p. Hernandez) is impressed and excited by cheats in Sims 4.
Just so you know what kind of person made the list.

Lemme now see the list…

EDIT:
FO1/2 on top spots, okay with me.
FO3 before FO4 and FO:NV is not something I can agree with. Of those five games, IMO FO3 is the lousiest one.

Where is Tactics on the list? Ah okay, I see… Deliberaely skipped…
But she completely forgot BoS console avoidware. Maybe she doesn't know it exists? Nah, she knows it's just… On Kotaku you mustn't talk bad about consoles and consolegames. :D

Lists for listographers. Some day in a far distant future a young archeologist will uncover this and a great truth will be revealed.

I never got why so many people claim FO2 as their favorite FO game. It's my least favorite of the series, but I think they're all great. Timing might have a lot to do with it as I played FO 1&2 back to back, and I might have been a little burned-out on the setting.

I also don't get how anyone could put FO3 above FO4. I'm guessing nostalgia might be a factor there and the fact that the Creation Engine has worn out its welcome. I found FO4 better in almost every aspect.

This link might be a reasonable addition for members who haven't posted in our "Favorite Fallout" poll: http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25135

I haven't played the fourth outing yet either, mostly due to having a lengthy backlog but also my hesitancy possibly stems from the feedback on the stripping back of traditional Fallout RPG-elements (rather than the deepening of them) which doesn't particularly sit well with me. I might wait a bit longer to pick it up...

My order:
Fallout - Fallout New Vegas - Fallout 2 - Fallout 3.

That author is out of his mind. Everyone knows in their heart it's:

F4>FNV>F3>the rest of the ancient ones

I'm glad they tore the game out of it's niche audience and made it appealing.

Before I see the list, first to say, that journalist on Kotaku (p. Hernandez) is impressed and excited by cheats in Sims 4.

Just so you know what kind of person made the list.

she listed FO3 ahead of NV and FO4 .... typical clueless neo-gamer

I never got why so many people claim FO2 as their favorite FO game.

It's my least favorite of the series

Compared to Fallout, in FO2 there is more of everything... its clearly the best in the series

Everyone knows in their heart it's:

F4>FNV>F3>the rest of the ancient ones

Only if you're a Bethestard though ....

1. Fallout 2
2. Fallout
3. Tactics
4. Fallout 4
5. New Vegas
6. Fallout 3

Hmm. Personally, I'm not sure why people are so down on F3. Out of all of the series, I think it did the best job of allowing you to explore a desolate and post-apocalyptic wasteland. I understand that many think the writing is better in New Vegas, though for me, the whole world just felt too built up, which seemed to miss the point of playing in that setting. Plus F3 didn't force you to choose and join a faction like most other RPGs of that type, I've always hated that.

I've only just started F4, though it's looking promising so far. One thing I do dislike, however, is that it seems very first person shootery so far. I usually prefer to play as a feckless, pacifist type and till now, that's been near impossible. I prefer playing as the little guy, not being railroaded into being some big hero.

It's hard to decide what order I would put these as the first two are just too dissimilar to the later games. My best guess would be F2>F1>F3>NV>F4. However, with mods I'd definitely place F3 top. I can't wait till F4 gets the GECK as I think it might have the best potential out of all of them (assuming that I can actually stop being force to shoot stuff).

Fallout 1,
Fallout 2.
[the end]

Though, I can imagine how I would prefer Bethesda's Fallouts if I was born in the early 2000s...

268891-falltwo_002.jpg

Well, I think this poll is rather dependent on people's memory and not on a real comparison. Many games that are ranked as classic and best are almost impossible to play nowadays because of bad interface and bad game design or decisions.

I consider this poll as not "Fallout - Best to Worst", but as a "My impressions on fallout - Best to Worst" from a particular person. And it is not very interesting for me. I clearly see a difference between impressions and the game quality. In my opinion Fallout 4 is much smoother to play, it has much more standard RPG features and I spent more time in Fallout 4 than in Fallout 1 or Fallout 2,3 and NV. If I want to replay Fallout again within several years, I'm sure it'll be Fallout 4 (Fallout NV has also a small chance), but it won't be Fallout 1 or Fallout 2.

I loved all of the Fallout games except Fallout 2. I just couldn't finish that one. Always got bored around the time I hit New Reno. The weird car-fast-travel mechanism was just immersion breaking.

That being said, I would love a Fallout-4 DLC that would give us a motorcycle or ATV to drive around in.

This topic again:)

F1>F2>FNV>FO4>FO3

F2 didn't take itself serious; we got a sillier and less grim, thought-provoking franchise thanks primarily to #2. FO4's level design puts it above FO3's linear corridors and subways, despite the dialogue choices made for a 2 year old mashing keys on a console.

Back
Top Bottom