Vitamin D deficiency

N

NewDArt

So, for the first time in my adult life - I've had what I would consider real health issues.

I'm writing this, because after doing some research into Vitamin D deficiency - I've come to understand that it's an extremely common deficiency in certain parts of the world, and in particular northern Europe and America.

Something to do with so many of us being indoors for the better part of the day - meaning we're not exposed to sunlight as much as our bodies require. Also, our diets tend to not have enough of these vitamins.

Anyway, I won't bore you with details - except to say my body slowly started to malfunction in a variety of ways, and I was genuinely worried.

Since we're so many gamers around here - I thought it would be appropriate to share this with you (gaming is generally something that doesn't happen outside) - because being checked for it is easy. Just a regular blood test and you will get the result very quickly.

So, if you're feeling fatigued for no apparent reason, or you suffer from a variety of unexplained symptoms - including those you'd get with the common cold, the flu - or respiratory infections (coughing, shortness of breath, etc.) - then it COULD be vitamin D deficiency.

The good news is that it's easy to combat by taking supplements - and your body will slowly get back to normal, all else being equal.

Just a little heads up - because I have a feeling it's more common than one would suspect.

Good advice and thank you for sharing. Vitamine D has been mainly associated with calcium uptake and bone formation (it actually works like a hormone), but that'
isn't all it does.

I was diagnosed with D deficiency a few years ago, with symptoms similiar to those you described. Vit. D treatment, suggested by my GP, helped to some degree.

Hmmm. maybe it's time to try it again.

piddur

Supposedly, it will take a few months to fully restore to normal levels - but I'm already feeling significantly better.

It's been linked to everything from mood swings and anxiety to indigestion.

It's hard to know anything for sure - but I had my doctor take pretty much all the blood tests they had, and everything else came back well within the norm - so I'm pretty sure it's part of what I've been going through.

But I suggest getting another blood test to check your levels if you think it might be Vitamin D.

We eat D-vitamins regulary during winter in the north. If I get depressed (rarely) I know its because of that and I eat a bit more. Where I live it can take weeks during the fall/winter before we see the sun. Most of the year you go to work when its dark and you come from work when its dark. If we had monarchy our top blueblood would be called Prince of Darkness.

If there is any light I try to stay outside atleast 30min every day (more if its not dark, cold and wet). It helps.

Last edited:
As you said it yourself - it's caused by avoiding sun.
Dunno which parts of the world have it as a common issue, but gaming is hardly to blame. Even Nintendo is not guilty, if a parent bought that junk at least can sit a kid to lower their IQ outside of the house.

The real cause is not just being indoors (home, workplace, restaurants, etc) most of the time but also driving everywhere (car, train, whatever) instead of walking to a desired spot for as long as possible. Sure, if a blizzard is outside, you won't go walking, but a year has 365 days.
Since I'm daily on a coffee somewhere, whenever possible sitting outside during warm days, I don't have this particular problem. Yet. :)

FYI: I deleted my post (which the new musketeer replied to) almost immediately, because I wanted to spend a little more time with it, checking a few facts and so on. But not soon enough :) (Man, that Dane is fast).

pibbur who will take a blood test.

Yes, like pibbur said, good advice.
I have been supplementing (not pills with all sorts of fillers but oil), after having been diagnosed with a deficiency, and rarely get a cold these days.

PS
Check your vit B12 too when feeling fatigued for no apparent reason. B12-deficiency causes fatigue at first, as well as mood swings, depression, remarkable, temporary personality changes, but the condition detiorates if untreated (in short: the central nerve system falls apart). Although it takes years before having difficulties with walking, talking, thinking.

Last edited:
Bit of a sun won't hurt but make sure you slap on sunscreen as well ;)

Also, don't take too much vitamin D tablet especially if you aren't diagnosed with deficiency. Unlike most vitamins, D is fat soluble and gets stored in your tissues and will cause problem if you accumulate too much of it.

Has anyone tried a Vitamin D producing sun lamp? It seems to work for some people (read the reviews.) - https://www.amazon.com/UV-F-KBD-Sperti-Fluorescent-Table/dp/B001JGHYXA

Also, if you have Seasonal Affective Disorder during the darker months of the year, a sun lamp can help as a form of therapy. Not quite related to lack of Vitamin D, but maybe of interest to someone. - http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...nal-affective-disorder-treatment/art-20048298

Nowadays I make sure to take a multi-vitamin and make my parents take them, too. My Brilliant Scientific (BS) theory on food is that you can eat whatever garbage you want as long as you take that vitamin that has all your nutrients and minerals. :D (Note - This is not doctor recommended and I'm half-joking. It just seems to work for me. :p)

I never had a deficiency to a degree where it was really harmful, but I am basically taking pills for vitamis every other day. One basically covering everything and another one specificly for vitamin D.

Might not be really "needed" so to say. But can't harm either.

The other solution is to move to Oz where we have lots of SUN all year round and beautiful beaches where you can really enjoy it!! :)

Hmm, I live in Oz, yes I know in Victoria though, and I suffer from it and one tablet a day has solved the issue!

Yes, people in Victoria do have to suffer for part of the year, but honestly, we can't allow ALL of you southerners into Queensland, there wouldn't be enough room to fit in everyone who would want to move!!!! :)

Yes, people in Victoria do have to suffer for part of the year, but honestly, we can't allow ALL of you southerners into Queensland, there wouldn't be enough room to fit in everyone who would want to move!!!! :)

Hmm, my thinks you aren't thinking clearly, too much sun??

Some of us have also lived in Brisbane for 4 years and willingly left!!

Bit of a sun won't hurt but make sure you slap on sunscreen as well ;)
That got me curious. Turns out the wavelengths that produce vitamin D (UVB waves) are the same ones that produce sunburn! It seems sunlight is good but only when taken in moderation. ;)

I bet this would be good for getting sunlight while going to/from work. (You can write off medical expenses on your taxes, right?)

Aaannnd thats why Sydney is the best :p best of both worlds!

Hmm, lived there too! (also, Adelaide, Perth, Darwin, Woomera, Merimbula, Port Moresby & White Plains (NY, USA))

Still choose Melbourne! :p

Why? Less frantic than Sydney, more things we enjoy than other Australian cities, less dangerous than Port Moresby, less foreign and alien than White Plains, more friends in city, and great food!!

Yeah, and four different types of weather each and every day!! :D You can have too much of a good thing!! lol

Back
Top Bottom