Phoenix Point - Orryx Update V1.10 Now Available

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
A new update for Phoenix Point: Year One adds game animation speed options, rule system changes and more.

First of all, we want to thank all of our fans for the continued support of Phoenix Point: Year One Edition. As we mentioned last month, we had a great launch, welcoming so many new players to the Geoscape! For those starting new campaigns, be sure to check out our beginner's tips to help your early game, or leverage our in-game codes (PHOENIXFRIENDS and HAPPYHEAVYHOLIDAYS) to unlock custom equipment!

Next, we want to share our latest update, ORRYX, which includes some new quality-of-life updates for players. A new Animation Speed option will allow players to pick up the pace of their tactical game, while changes to our various systems should correct some of the challenges players have been experiencing since launch. Check out the full list below, including the various bug fixes in this new patch!

ORRYX UPDATE 1.10

Tactical

• Mindfragged soldier can not be targeted with Bash.
  • Addressed issues around Paralysis and Panic:
    -- Paralysis heal - improved medkits, technicians, aspidas now remove 50% of Paralysis value.
    -- Panic lock - Recover ability gives Panic immunity for 1 turn.
  • Marked for Death change: Mark an enemy target. Until the end of the turn, each hit from an attack or individual round gets +10 damage. This effect does not stack.
  • Ground markers are removed while in free aim.
  • Umbra FX changed so it is a lot more noticeable.
  • Jet Pack jump - improved animation speed curve.
  • Zone line color is now orange when the soldier cannot use a weapon, either because it is broken or the soldier's arm is disabled.
  • When out of ammo, the reload icon will pulse/flash.
  • Reinforcements enter in an alerted state by default.
  • Flamethrower and incendiary grenades are now doing impact damage and will start from the next turn. Damage from lit tile will only apply at the start of the player's turn.
[...]
Thanks henriquejr!

More information.

Started Phoenix Point a few weeks ago and I am pleasantly surprised.

What's not listed in the preview is also a change that missions will keep popping up which might be the biggest change, but as I am not that far in yet, thats just an estimate.

Heard mixed things about this game, but it's on my radar because I enjoyed the original Xcom games, but liked the reboots even more. How does it compare? Are there more major updates or DLC planned?

I personally disliked the XCom reboots and this is where Phoenix Point shines.

Firaxis Xcom went the route of simplification into board game mechanics, with the one-action system and simplified hit calculation where it doesnt matter that there are 3 cars behind you and the target as long as the target is 1 tile away from it or you are more than 90° aside of it.

In PP each shot takes 1-3 action points, but you can shoot multiple times, and running costs half action points and you can run, shoot, run.
Also the ballistics are realistic and the wa the bullet is travelling considers all obstacles.
You even can go into free aim not and can exactly see where the bullet will fly. If your soldier cant see the target, he/she is not going to hit, which is quite a difference to Firaxis XCom.

Back to your questions though: Yeah there is more additional content planned. I have heared that air battles are coming, but I haven't looked into it. All I know is that there are still slots in the main menu for already planned follow up dlcs.

I can only say 2 bad things about the game after 29 hours, and you might not care about either of them:
1. I don't like that you can't limit your saving option. You have no iron man option and you can even save within combat, or restart combat to get completely different enemies on the map. It's basically savescumming heaven and on the tactical and "exploration" level you can probably solve everything by reload and do the same thing again hoping for a different outcome. To me that is lazy and bad design. You basically have to restrict yourself to give you some kind of challenge. Personally I am restriting myself so that I will never reload during a mission (instead I will restart it), that keeps the missions tactical and interesting.
If you are the type of person that rolled with any outcome or just reloads in a civ game, this of course wont matter to you.

2. German Translation isn't great. Lots of typos and some stuff just doesnt match. It's not horrible, but definitely far from perfect. My guess is that the Original Version doesnt have these issues. ^^

Anybody can confirm there has been changes to UI or font scaling in latest version? As fonts appear bigger on new YT videos. Or is it just that the UI scales better on 1080p or larger resolutions?

Someone let me know when this game is actually finished and done.

Frankly I'm getting tired of certain games and their endless patching.:roll:

A new update for Phoenix Point: Year One adds game animation speed options...
One of my top 20 pet peeves. It took them 16 months, plus however long they were in beta, to add animation speed options? Why does every single developer do this? No, your animation isn't so effing AMAZING I want to watch it literally hundreds of times at real-life speed.

One of my top 20 pet peeves. It took them 16 months, plus however long they were in beta, to add animation speed options? Why does every single developer do this? No, your animation isn't so effing AMAZING I want to watch it literally hundreds of times at real-life speed.

But was also not bad to begin with. Additional options are always great but I would say that it was in no way an urgent addition. So the wording "it took them 16 months" is a bit off imho. If it was a bug, yeah I expect them to fix it soon and it the animation speed was horribly slow then yeah, then that as well. But in this case its rather nice that they add it, rather than not adding it at all, which I guess is the most prominent alternative.

Why does every single developer do this?
They're trying to train you to not buy the game for about a year after release. ;)

They're trying to train you to not buy the game for about a year after release. ;)

They also wanted to have Epic store purchasers test the game first before it was ready for release on steam :p

Never bothered with Phoenix Point because it didn't seem to have a very polished finish, and I wasn't looking for X-Com clones at the time of its release. I might give a go to this at some point if I find myself bored and with a lot of time in my hands, though this year is posing exciting as it is. Though the fact that someone mentioned that missions keep popping up discourages me quite a bit, I like to be able to complete content fully and dislike random endless repopping missions that prevent me from feeling like I "cleared" an area/chapter/whatever.

Though the fact that someone mentioned that missions keep popping up discourages me quite a bit, I like to be able to complete content fully and dislike random endless repopping missions that prevent me from feeling like I "cleared" an area/chapter/whatever.

But these missions have always been the bread and butter in XCom and XCom-Like games - with the exception of Firaxis Version where you basically had a linear game with just a limited amount of missions and choices.
Having a limited amount of missions is like Deidranna stopping sending Soldiers after the Player in Jagged Alliance 2, or Football matches stopping happening after the second season in some football management game.
On my let's play I had a player commenting that trading is super important and in the later game you get almost all of your resources from there. And that is now fixed by missions to continue. That doesnt mean that you can't beat the game anymore. I see it as major fix of the previous gameplay.

I have to agree with you that having additional missions pop up after you explore the world map will be a good thing, as in an earlier version once I completely cleared the world map there was only haven defence missions and alien base assault missions left. Adds more variety to the mission options.

Back
Top Bottom