What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Yes, and the whole throwing every superhero together never made sense to me.

Though, I also thought the deadpool 2 and the avengers movie were pretty fun to watch.
Yeah it's setting up for the next movie and cinema phase, but damn a villain finally won in a major motion picture. They usually follow the stale trope of good always wins.

It's the same with most books also the good guys or light side mostly prevails.

I'd steer clear of Skyscraper. It's like a copy of a copy of Die Hard, with all the personality stripped out and replaced with extreme lameness.

Watched something called Charismata (terrible title, btw) about a female detective trying to find a ritualistic serial killer. Very traditional in its supernatural demon horrors and badly paced but kind of slick for a low-budgeter. I liked it's central idea of some kind of hex put on the woman where she starts to have increasingly more alarming hallucinations and by the end of the film is helpless to discern fantasy from reality. It reminded me of a superb short story by the UK SF writer Ian Watson called The Coming of Vertumnus .

About time. I was expecting a run-of-the-mill shallow romantic movie with time travel, but it was surprisingly good. Fantastic even if you are in the right mood. Sure, it is about love, but also about life (and death), and the choices we make.

Three more movies I watched this week due to having to much time to waste.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - Meh a good movie to watch, but not as good as the first three. The Ending makes no god damn sense, and if you watched it you know.

Skyscraper - Well I was excited to watch this movie and it didn't disappoint. Though as another member said it's a modern day Die Hard Knock-off. Just with a weaker Hero.

The Happytime Murders - Think Muppet's but with more crude humor and you have a hit. Only kidding its an average movie at best, but is still full of adult content.

I finally saw that Three Billboards movie, tough stuff to watch and listen to, but a pretty good film. The casting was exceptional, I don't think I've ever seen the guy from the first Charlie's Angels movie play such a douche before. The depiction of rural life I also though was pretty accurate, even more so than that recent show from HBO, Sharp Objects.

Anyone watch this new trailer for Captive State?

Looks like some type of dystopian alien invasion movie.

Looks interesting, and in the fine old tradition of sneaking social commentary into science fiction.

Looks interesting, and in the fine old tradition of sneaking social commentary into .
Agree but science fiction always has social commentary.:biggrin:

I still can't get into modern TV so I wwatch Frasier reruns on Netflix :D Also Comedians iin Cars Getting coffee with Seinfeld iis kind of cool.

I still can't get into modern TV so I wwatch Frasier reruns on Netflix :D Also Comedians iin Cars Getting coffee with Seinfeld iis kind of cool.
Ah Frasier I used to watch that show everyday when the re-runs started.:sniff:

The trouble is, you don't get shows of that quality very often. A lot of entertainment is very thin gruel by comparison.

Willy Wonka (the original which I prefer to the newer version).

I just watched that the other day, too. Still as funny and enchanting as ever. Might be my favorite or at least top 3 favorite movies ever.

The trouble is, you don't get shows of that quality very often. A lot of entertainment is very thin gruel by comparison.

It's true, which is why I keep revisiting Seinfeld. The problem is, I know every episode by heart, so that gets a bit tiresome as well. I wish they'd reboot it, but that's doubtful. Still, watching some of the "lesser known" episodes more is always fun. I don't know many modern TV shows that I would watch to hold my attention like they do, and I wasn't even a fan of Seinfeld when it first came out (was too young.) Just discovered it about a year back and loved it.

His new short show on Netflix - Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee - is pretty funny to me, but it's not a sitcom or anything. He just interviews other comedians in a Seinfeld kind of way. I liked it and binge watched it a lot as well, so it might be worth a peek for other Seinfeld fans. The episodes with Julia Louis-Dreyfuss and Michael Richards especially.

Re-watched one of my favourite films, If....

Its depiction of English boarding school life was before my days, but, by the time I got there, not much had changed. Death to the prefects!

Solo: a star wars story. I was pretty entertained throughout. Star wars is and was always a plain action movie to me, so the it doesn't feel like star wars mindset never held up (same for star trek basically).

Sure it is Disney, same action but safer. It is a bit strange to see star wars movies coming in quicker succession though.

Back
Top Bottom