My windows 10 installation

LOL
Don't worry, I don't get insulted that easily. I get insulted only when one tries to persuade me that obvious black is white or vice versa argumenting it with words like idiot, moron or cretin.

Thing is, Joxer, I only use Windows for gaming, and all I want from it is to play my games without causing me headaches. My main concern is the enforced updating behavior, which I have now read about causing various problems in multiple reports. Hopefully you lot will have found all the bugs by the time I need DX12. ;)

Don't know if it is corrupted. But I have MMX, so now I can test. Thank you.

pibbur

Worked just fine. Took some time installing 3.5, and looks like it did that twice. After that, no problem starting the game.

pibbur who will play the game. Eventually.

Thing is, Joxer, I only use Windows for gaming, and all I want from it is to play my games without causing me headaches. My main concern is the enforced updating behavior, which I have now read about causing various problems in multiple reports. Hopefully you lot will have found all the bugs by the time I need DX12. ;)

Currently DX12 is just a thing of tomorrow and is not a reason to switch to win10 immediately. Escpecially because the first project that will run on it is supposed to be pay2win MMO garbage.

Enforced updating behavior is IMO a good thing for users not into technical stuff, I've seen plenty of cases where people bought PC with updates disabled which later resulted in virus-o-rama and OS breaking apart.
You want to have it under control - buy win10 professional. I've written in another thread, it's supercheap as long as the free upgrade is available as you can find win8 pro key for about $20-30 in key reseller stores.

Various reports you've read was caused by misunderstanding between Microsoft and different manufacturers. It's still solvable if happens on your side, but apart from some odd touchpad driver that fights with WSUS driver and the machine drops into installation loop, I saw no recent reports on it, seems it's pretty much cleared out.

Currently DX12 is just a thing of tomorrow and is not a reason to switch to win10 immediately. Escpecially because the first project that will run on it is supposed to be pay2win MMO garbage.

Microsoft said that 50% of new PC games will be DX12 compatible by end of 2015 and the first DX12 game is Ashes of the Singularity, a RTS (the only source of DX12 benchmark right now).

Never heard about Ashes of Singularity.
You sure it's not some early access, beta, unfinished thing?

The first DX12 game will be Fable MMO, you can sign up for it's beta too.
https://www.fablelegends.com/

Well, Joxer, I think there are plenty of reasons why one might not want to upgrade just yet, chief among them is that I simply can't be bothered, and there's currently very little value in doing so, for me. I especially can't be bothered if it all goes wrong like it did for D'Art, and have to reinstall everything again.

With regard to its privacy-violating features and enforced updates, I'll be buggered if I'm paying extra to stop them - my Windows 10 is going to live in LAN-lockdown, with access to Steam, Gog, and not much else.

Microsoft said that 50% of new PC games will be DX12 compatible by end of 2015

I wouldn't put it beyond MS to say something retarded like that but are you sure you remember it right?

Because that is crazy talk. For a game to use DirectX 12 it needs to be specifically coded to use the DirectX 12 render path. No game automagically detects the presence of DirectX 12 and uses it instead of DirectX 9, 10 or 11.

The adoption rate will be very slow. Look at how many publishers are neglecting the PC platform. Why would they all of a sudden spend money on proper DirectX 12 support? Most of them can not even be bothered to support the most simple things like rebindable controls or FoV sliders or mousewheel support.

The situation will likely improve slightly whenever Windows 10 (and DirectX 12) hits the Xbone in fall. Some Xbone titles might get DirectX 12 support in the long run and the PC ports might benefit from that but let us remember that for multiplatform games there is still also the PS4 which will never get DX12 so how many publishers will really be willing to properly support DX12 remains to be seen.

Games with DirectX 12 support will be few and far between until well into next year. Some of Microsoft's games will get DX12 support as Joxer pointed out (also the Gears of War Ultimate remake AFAIK), Ashes of the Singularity, and.... Star Citizen at some point, Deus Ex Mankind Divided and maybe Star Wars Battlefront (post-release patch probably).

That's about it for now so it'll be slow going and the benefits of DX12 will be mostly felt in CPU-limited games which is very rare as most games are GPU-limited. There may be many reasons to upgrade to Win10 now but DX12 certainly isn't one of them - yet.

I wouldn't put it beyond MS to say something retarded like that but are you sure you remember it right?

I took that from here.

Because that is crazy talk. For a game to use DirectX 12 it needs to be specifically coded to use the DirectX 12 render path. No game automagically detects the presence of DirectX 12 and uses it instead of DirectX 9, 10 or 11.

The adoption rate will be very slow. Look at how many publishers are neglecting the PC platform. Why would they all of a sudden spend money on proper DirectX 12 support?.

Dual DX11/DX12 games will probably be the norm for a while to match with Windows 10 adoption rate. Joxer is probably right that Fable Legend will be the first DX12 only game released though.

It's the dev who are aggressive on DX12 adoption though. DICE said that their target is Windows 10 and DX12 as minimum requirement for the end of 2016. DICE demonstrated a DX12 capable Frostbite at GDC 2015 last March…

I don't think it's worth it to be especially paranoid about Windows 10. I just used the program to block the 37 ways in which Windows 10 breaches your privacy and refused to sign it with a Hotmail account.

Dunno about that 50%, maybe Microsoft was talking about their console.
But on PC definetly not everyone will switch that fast.

While EA DICE wants to push forward, I have to remind you that another EA's game, Sims 4, released just a year ago is ONLY 32bit (imagine that - it's predecessor Sims 3 has 64bit version!) and is dx9 game.

Reasons why the change won't come fast?
1. Not everyone can afford changing the game code that is in development for ages
2. Those who can still won't because of their console/phone induced prejudices (that people play games on 10 year old toasters with win98 on them like PC was nonupgradeable console)

To be honest, some games do not really need dx12, for example The Stick of Truth, what could it possibly gain from it?
Some unoptimized crapware however should get dx12 version ASAP. But… Won't.
Maybe in some future we start getting dx12 remakes similar to current HD remakes trend.

Aaaah OK, I think I get it now. What they mean is that 50% of the games coming out will be based on technology (engines) that is "compatible" (= could be upgraded to a DirectX 12 renderpath if the dev/publisher is so inclined) with DirectX 12.
That might be true but it doesn't really mean that many games will be ported to DirectX 12 in practice.
Again: With the minuscule effort we are seeing from most publishers on PC ports I have very serious doubts that DirectX 12 will be relevant (except for those few select titles) for quite some time to come.
Maybe holiday season next year when Xbone DirectX 12 titles are more common but not anytime soon.

I'd also estimate around a year before DX12 gets to be common in games.

But that's not really a long time, and I don't see the point in waiting long before upgrading.

Win 10 is free for many, and it's superior - even if it has a few early issues. Overall, it's been one of the least annoying transitions I've made. From Win7 to Win8 was much worse, for instance.

I just updated to Win 10 and to me it's runs like a modern Win 7. :)

Just remember to turn off the apps and other options otherwise your PC will be sending data over the internet every minute. I found that out by checking the new task-bar.

So I upgraded my floortop to Win10.

Everything works smoothly so far, a couple of reinstallations was necessary, but nothing major.

But upgrading itself was troublesome. The first 3 attempts resultet in a BSOD, notifying a CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT problem. Everytime at 25%, having copied 85% of files.

Googling resulted in manyl different explanations, and several solutions, I tried several of them unsuccessfully. Then I found the following suggestion: Disconnect optical drives (http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/69371-windows-8-1-10-upgrade-bsod-clock_watchdog_timeout-2.html). Unlike the other suggestions it helped several of the posters on the site, and it helped me.

I suspect there must be something more fundamental behind this, but anyhow it did the trick, and I'm up and running. With optical drives reconnected.

Since trouble with NVidia drivers has been mentioned: I can report no problem. Both SLI and 32DVision works as they should.

pibbur who now is a s happy as he can be, which actually is not very happy.,

That's just old Microsoft's crap. I remember C++ redistributable 2005 impossible to install (returns some error on installation) on some machines until you plug out CD/DVD drive. After install you can plug the drive back in.

That's just old Microsoft's crap. I remember C++ redistributable 2005 impossible to install (returns some error on installation) on some machines until you plug out CD/DVD drive. After install you can plug the drive back in.

I was for a moment in doubt whether I should upgrade or not, due to that particular problem. But in the end I went for it.

pibbur

My wife and 2 kids Upgraded to win 10 and I didn't need to help them. So in my book windows 10 is already a win.

Back
Top Bottom