Warren Spector - Honoured at GDCA

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Warren Spector has received a Lifetime Achievement Award at the 12th Annual Game Developers Choice Awards:
SAN FRANCISCO, Feb. 2, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Deus Ex game director and producer, and Disney Epic Mickey creator Warren Spector will receive the Lifetime Achievement Award at the 12th Annual Game Developers Choice Awards (GDCAs) for his contributions to the art and science of games. The Game Developers Choice Awards are the leading peer-based video game industry awards celebrating the industry's top games and developers.
With a career in games spanning nearly 30 years, Warren Spector has earned a reputation in the industry as a seminal designer and a champion for the proper execution of ideas in video games. His work on the career-defining Deus Ex took place while he was serving as a partner at development company Ion Storm and running their Austin-based office. Upon its release in 2000, Deus Ex received wide critical and industry acclaim and in 2009 was named "Best PC Game of All Time" among a list of 100 other titles in PC Gamer magazine.
In 2004 Spector left Ion Storm and the following year established Austin-based video game development firm Junction Point. Junction Point was acquired by Disney Interactive Studios in 2007. Immediately following, Spector began leading the design of Disney Epic Mickey, which released in 2010 and marked his first title as part of Disney Interactive Studios. The game featured Spector's hallmark style of choice and consequence gaming, which he refers to as "Playstyle Matters," and was praised for its unique storyline, charming art design and tribute it paid to 80 years of rich Disney history.
Since beginning his gaming career at Steve Jackson Games in 1983, Spector has played a key role when it comes to redefining genres. As a producer and designer on titles like TSR, Inc.'s Top Secret/S.I. and Marvel Super Heroes, ORIGIN's award-winning Ultima game series, including Ultima Worlds of Adventure: Martian Dreams, Ultima VII: Serpent Isle and Ultima Underworld, as well as Looking Glass Technologies' critically-acclaimed System Shock, Spector demonstrated his ability to open up new avenues in the role-playing arena and provide players with a fresh gameplay experience.
The Lifetime Achievement Award recognizes the career and achievements of a developer who has made an indelible impact on the craft of game development and games as a whole, and Warren Spector, who has earned a sterling reputation as an innovator able to merge the deep gameplay elements of multiple genres, stands as a shining example of those principles.
More information.

I've enjoyed a number of games that Spector has worked on. But 'Epic Mickey' was really horrible.

He hasn't done anything for me lately but Spector is still an industry giant. He deserves the award.

P.S. Deus Ex didn't even make the top 20 in this year's top 100 for PC Gamer. Editors come and go, so that list is pretty volatile.

I've enjoyed a number of games that Spector has worked on. But 'Epic Mickey' was really horrible.

Yeah, it's been awhile since he's done anything good imo. The last decent game he worked on was Thief: Deadly Shadows, and that was 2003-04

Definitely deserving of the award though.

Seems to me these always come when the person in question has gotten complacent and lost all ambition to achieve beyond expectations.

Still, he was part of the very best in gaming - several times over.

You don't get more deserving than that.

(Though I'm sick of the need people have to single out each other)

Back
Top Bottom