Cyberpunk 2077 - Critical Impressions and Interview

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
GamePressure took a critical eye to what they were shown of Cyberpunk 2077. Additionally Wccftech interviewed the developers about how they are making the game accessible to non-shooter fans.

I am convinced of such "non-interactivity" of Night City residents by, for example, how they behave when a player accidentally knocks them down on the sidewalk. In fact, virtual people make the impression of icebergs in such random events. They don't lose their balance or even throw insults at the hero - they simply move V as a cube of physics, walking further in their own direction. Maybe it's just a feature that's still waiting to be implemented? Or maybe it is also not a coincidence that such NPCs from the crowd never have a given level by their nameplates, unlike any gangsters, corporate soldiers or other characters who could potentially want to snoop out V's eyes?

On the other hand, the developer has announced that the game will include a "search system". This would suggest that there is, however, the possibility of committing crimes and attracting the attention of law enforcement. It sounds promising, but in fact it does not have to be a more complex mechanism than the one from Witcher 3, in which guards simply threw themselves with bare swords at Geralt, if he stole a sweet roll in front of their eyes. This is likely to be the case if CDPR have ruled out the option of surrendering to law enforcement and going to prison (or to a cyber-psychiatric institution for braindance therapy). In short, for the time being we are not able to say how much of the living world Cyberpunk 2077 we will actually see.

[...]
Sounds great. Is the whole of Night City open from the start? Or is it like unlocked over time?

We're not going to have this locked, invisible wall where you can't go past it because we show a message on the screen saying you must go back. It doesn't make sense, right? It's like I just crossed the street, what's the issue? So we won't have anything like that.

But you might venture into some places where enemies are way tougher than you can handle.

Yep. We have UI to help lead players. Actually, in the demo, you can see the NPCs levels and that will give you a quick gauge of how to make sure that you want to engage. We are an RPG after all and that's one of the implications of an RPG, you want to do progression. But like in The Witcher 3, you could always just run to Novigrad, you could have skipped the Baron quest, you could even go to Skellige if you managed to get enough money to pay for the boat. That freedom in an open world is pretty awesome and I think Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be very similar. But of course, you know, in The Witcher 3 when you were like level one and went to Novigrad you didn't have a very fun time. You might expect something similar here, but you can still go if you want to.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Blah blah blah blah zzzz….

This game's anticipation is dying faster than Chiktikka Fastpaws.

I tend to do that, yes, since I'm the only person in this site whose opinion is relevant to me. And as much as you'd like to think otherwise, you also speak for yourself. Maybe there's something to take from the fact this news post had absolutely no replies through the prime hours of the day till I predictably smoked you out of your hole.

I tend to do that, yes, since I'm the only person in this site whose opinion is relevant to me.

Then why do you lose your time engaging with others or even reading the posts? Maybe you should create your own forum so you can post there and read it all alone.

Then why do you lose your time engaging with others or even reading the posts?

One of the most peculiar human traits: Curiosity.

But you know that, because you must feel the same. Or are you telling me that what some random people in the internet say about a game affects in any way whether you like a game and how much you like it? It would be even worse if it is because you are insecure and you need other people to agree with your tastes to feel like your tastes are "right" and fight those whose tastes are "wrong". Either way would be worrying.

This game definitely has some issues. No third person view "because of immersion", yet NPCs are not reacting to your actions? Isn't a living world supposed to give you the immersion? And they are pouring valuable resources again into Nvidia shitworks and raytracing. On a positive note, no UI on hardcore sounds promising. I really hate level numbers floating on top of the characters.

No third person view because go pro (k+m) or go home.
It's however CDprojekt and they won't bullshit you with "Yakuza smokes mushrooms and not pot" - there is an autoaim weapon in the game for those who want the game to play itself with cheap plastics junk.

NPCs *are* reacting to your everything. An example, during a dialogue if you look around you can initiate an additional, connected, dialogue with bystanders. You can of course ignore nearby NPCs and nothing of such will happen. Have you seen NPC interactivity like this anywhere else? Oh you did? Where.

Immersion? What on earth are you talking about. Don't sleep for 24 hours (or smoke some pot, similar effect) - there you go, you got yourself an immersion.
The primary job of every videogame is to be fun. Not to be used as drugs.

They are not pouring valuable resources in raytracing. In hairworks they do. Which is not a bad idea - I'm buying the game only because of that. Oh, mushrooms audience can't experience hairworks? Well, boohoo.

:D

It would be even worse if it is because you are insecure and you need other people to agree with your tastes to feel like your tastes are "right" and fight those whose tastes are "wrong". Either way would be worrying.

Not taking other people's opinion into account is foolish. Maybe someone has an interesting angle that you may have missed, maybe their opinion can add something to you. No one would ever have developed a critical opinion about anything by simply ignoring all the other people and what they got to say.

Not taking other people's opinion into account is foolish. Maybe someone has an interesting angle that you may have missed, maybe their opinion can add something to you. No one would ever have developed a critical opinion about anything by simply ignoring all the other people and what they got to say.

Also, I know for a fact there are quite a lot of people on this site who shares my taste in games. Since pretty much no one has time to try out every single game that might be interesting, those opinions matters quite a bit too me.

On topic, I think the article has some valid questions, but unlike the Witcher which I haven't played past the first one, I'm pretty sure this is a Day 1 purchase for me. The setting alone makes it so much more compelling to me than the Witcher, the FP view is just icing.

I tend to do that, yes, since I'm the only person in this site whose opinion is relevant to me. And as much as you'd like to think otherwise, you also speak for yourself. Maybe there's something to take from the fact this news post had absolutely no replies through the prime hours of the day till I predictably smoked you out of your hole.

If you were speaking for yourself, you would have written that your anticipation for this game was dying. Instead, you chose to speak for everyone. And you do not speak for everyone.

I'm still very sceptical in terms of gameplay, but there's really no denying this is one of the most interesting titles of 2020.

Even if they fuck up the mechanics like they did with W3 - the story, atmosphere and the spectacle should be more than worth it.

Also, I have this sensation that they just might have learned from their mistakes.

I expect it to be an improvement over W3 when it comes to combat and progression - and that's really enough for me, since my expectations are much lower than they were for W3 after W2.

Back
Top Bottom