GameBanshee - GotY 2011

Hmmm, isn't TRoT 2010 title? No matter, it deserves everything it gets.

EDIT:
I've read the final page and…
Can't believe it!
Respect!

I don't want to spoil anything, but I do want to suggest that Frayed Knights was TOTALLY ROBBED in the "Best Use of a 'Rats in the Cellar' Quest" award. IMHO.

Was the Witcher 2 really that good? I'll have to check it out when it comes out for the 360.

Hmmm, isn't TRoT 2010 title? No matter, it deserves everything it gets.
Like "Worst voice acting?" (Two Worlds 2 gets runner up.)

Witcher 2 was quite good though it has it's issues, too. I put it down for a few weeks and, when I picked it up again, I found myself in the VAST gulf between "easy" and "medium" difficulty. Easy is so easy I don't think I'll ever get good enough to play on medium. Medium is so hard I don't think I'll be able to re-learn it without going back to a very old save. So now the only option seems to be to just restart the whole thing.

Was the Witcher 2 really that good? I'll have to check it out when it comes out for the 360.

Perhaps the editors at GameBanshee are more into games with lots of cutscenes and QTE's. That some may classify Witcher 2 as an RPG is already tenuous, let alone "RPG of the Year"

Although I rather enjoyed the first game in the series, I didn't enjoy the second very much. I would consider them to be more of the "action-adventure" variety, rather than RPGs.

The Witcher 2 is more of an RPG than most out there these days - particularly in the sense that you can actually make an impact with your choices, and the choices you make are far more than a mere illusion unlike most RPGs. Isn't the ability to "play a role" the central element of a "role-playing game?"

The QTE's are annoying but hardly intrusive (meaning they barely pop up and all but disappear early in the game), the combat is engaging and enjoyable, character development is important and leads to a decent amount of customization and feeling of progression, the setting is fantastically implemented, the majority of the characters are memorable, dialogue is well-written with a healthy amount of meaningful choices…I don't really know what else one would want from an RPG, quite frankly.

DeusX best story eh ? Makes me glad I bought it on the Steam sales.

I kinda agree (despite my misgivings for several aspects of the game) on the
Witcher 2 as the best rpg of this year. Just cannot agree on some of the
reasoning i.e. that the game was not further streamlined (it was the other way
around for me), but anyway...

Congratulations to RC for the totally deserved recognition (and also to the DoD guys).

Tough choice for me, and I also haven't really played Skyrim yet. Overall I guess I'd say TW2 was the best RPG I played. I actually found 2011 a bit disappointing for RPGs, but not games in general.

Well done TW2 - it was certainly the game I enjoyed most. I struggled a bit with combat, but in the end everything came togethr and the experience was great (although I must admit that there were elements of TW1 I preferred). I certainly enjoyed Skyrim (runner up), but that was more from a sense of wanderlust - the world really is wonderfully realised - than any great drive to complete the main quest. For me, the story, game mechanics/ruleset and things like C&C's are the most important elements of an RPG.

GameBanshee has announced their Game of the Year 2011 awards. I'm not going to spoil them all, but Drakensang: The River of Time, Frayed Knights, Deus Ex: Human Revolution and The Witcher 2 are some of the category winners.
More information.

While The Witcher 2 was a downgrade from part 1 in nearly every respect it is still lightyears in front of everything Elder Scrolls.

I am totally baffled by the Indie choices. I can't believe people prefer these games to Faery - Legends of Avalon which IMHO should have won.

I am totally baffled by the Indie choices. I can't believe people prefer these games to Faery - Legends of Avalon which IMHO should have won.
Really? This may be the first time I hear any praise for the game, across all the Internets.
Care to elaborate?
(Plus, Dredmor is really quite good for what it is - simplified, fun dungeon crawler).

Huh ?! Amazon had it for 8 euros ? When ?!

Yes ($10 to be precise), I bought it day before Christmas, don't know how long the sale was. Currently, the price is $17(=13€) , which is still a very good price.
Also, GMG is selling the whole trilogy for $31.20.

(Am I evil for pissing you off or am I helping anyone with this?)

Hmm, Wasn't aware that amazon offered that to Europe too. I guess because I never saw it on amazon.uk (This is where I buy from usually for books and games in DVD form). No region locks I guess ?

I'll keep it in mind next I want to buy digitally again (next purchases for the foreseeable future will be Risen 2 DVD and Avernum and King Arthur 2 as downloads), Thanks.

Steam sale price was twice the Amazon price :p
Amazon digital sells only to the US.

edit: WAIT. This was the case some time ago, will have to check…

edit: yes, unfortunately it's still the case: (about Deus Ex) "Currently, this item is available only to customers located in the United States and who have a U.S. billing address."

Well, there is a catch - officially, the service is US only - but they don't check your IP or credit card region (if that's possible).
Also, for some games, they provide both download and the Steam code, if that's what you're after.

Back
Top Bottom