Next Gen - M-Rated Revenues

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Since we've followed Next-Gen's coverage of the falling M-rated games market so far, we may as well continue for the full story. Their latest piece looks at the revenues generated (rather than the number of titles released) and this time, M-rated games saw a huge increase in 2007 over 2006...but all on the back of three games:
Second, where is the revenue for M-rated console software coming from – especially when fewer M-rated games were released in 2007 than in 2006? Here, again, three games seem to be critical: Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed, Microsoft's Halo 3 and Activision's Call of Duty 4. These three M-rated games sold a combined 11.7 million software units in 2007 (across all platforms) and each retailed for a minimum of $60. Together they accounted for a minimum of $700 million in revenue for 2007. When we look back at 2006, there was only one M-rated game in the top 10 software chart for the year – Gears of War, ranked 7th. There simply weren't many best-selling M-rated games in 2006 and the M-rated console revenue for 2006 reflects that.

In fact, consider the following: using my estimates, the revenue for M-rated games might actually have dropped in 2007 if it weren't for those three big games (Assassin's Creed, Halo 3, and Call of Duty 4). Moreover their revenue is so abnormally large that they make the average revenue of $15 million per M-rated console game in 2007 somewhat meaningless.
More information.

What all of these games have in common is the almost exclusive focus on combat.

This reads as if M-rating = combat.

This reads as if there was no M-rated game EVAR possible without any combat.

What all of these games have in common is the almost exclusive focus on combat.

This reads as if M-rating = combat.

This reads as if there was no M-rated game EVAR possible without any combat.

In terms of big sellers you are more or less correct - horror themed games and adventures (except Res Evil) aren't big hits.

Didn't Bioshock do fairly well? I'm surprised it's not mentioned, and it's still one of my favorites.

Didn't Bioshock do fairly well? I'm surprised it's not mentioned, and it's still one of my favorites.

It did very well - numbers I read for the XBOX version were ~1.63 million copies. But that isn't nearly thesame scale as those others.

Back
Top Bottom