Divinity: Original Sin II - The Zelda of Roleplaying Games

I agree in that *some* Zelda games were great (to me). Out of the entire series though (including gameboy spinoffs), the Zelda games I enjoyed and completed are few coming in at just 3 (finished original Zelda, Zelda 3 (link to the past), and Windwaker (which I personally enjoyed though that game seems hated among series fans). Finished about 50% of Ocarina and Twilight Princess before getting bored for whatever reason. The rest I bought and started but quickly decided they weren't fun. I haven't bought Breath of the Wild as I do not have a Nintendo Switch (waiting to see if they are in fact repeating the same not-enough-games failure they had with the Wii U or not… game releases for Switch continue to be in "stall mode" so we'll see).

Yeah, I've played all the Zelda games excluding the handheld titles, and they're very hit or miss imo.

Unlike the majority, I actually think Ocarina of Time is overrated. I liked Windwaker and Twilight Princess, but I think the latter is better. Major's Mask is probably my least favorite of all of them. I've only played about 5-6 hours of BoTW so far, but I really like what I've seen, and I'm looking forward to getting back to it.

I have fond memories of the NES-SNES Zeldas, but I don't think they're something I could ever replay at this point.

I liked Windwaker and Twilight Princess, but I think the latter is better. Major's Mask is probably my least favorite of all of them.

Windwaker seemed disliked by many because of the cell shading art direction. I was just fine with it though. Windwaker was a fun world to explore and discover things... and not just pretty scenery but useful and/or interesting things. Played it again remastered for the Wii U with my two boys 9 and 12 and we had a blast (I mostly watched but helped them past parts they found difficult).

For me, my least favorite would have to b Zelda 2. I really hated how some of the gameplay was top down and some of it was side scrolling. That was such a bizzare design decision to me. In fact, to this day I think it's bizarre. Dear lord God, no, just no.

I've only played about 5-6 hours of BoTW so far, but I really like what I've seen, and I'm looking forward to getting back to it.

Interesting, I'm in the same place. I probably played a bit less than 5-6 hours but I liked what I saw. The universe has decided that I may not get into that game just yet, rather, the universe has decided that I must wrestle with all kinds of life demands right now. As soon as the universe decides it's time I can play, I will.

I have fond memories of the NES-SNES Zeldas, but I don't think they're something I could ever replay at this point.

Same here. I've tried a few times over the decades to replay some of the early games, particularly the first NES zelda game and the third (Link to the Past for SNES), but just couldn't muster enough interest for them anymore.

Divinity: Original Sin is the game that turned me off 'turn based combat' games for life!

I absolutely loved the original Divine Divinity games. But no matter how hard I tried, I hated the combat in Divinity: Original Sin so much that I found the game unplayable.

It has the worst combat system of any game I've ever played. I honestly don't know how people manage to play this game.

I will NEVER EVER again play any game that uses turn based combat. I've learned my lesson!

Oh wow, in contrast, I found the combat system in Divinity Original Sin to be awesome!

I love turn-based combat, and this was a great example of doing it right. So much fun and different 'tricks' and so on that is allowed for, the rogue is one of my favorite characters, just based on their abilities in the game. And really powerful magic spells for the wizard types, as it should be, spells that have a drastic and heavily weighted impact and overall effect in how the combat goes. I have won tough battles after losing all my characters with only my wizard left, and then his most powerful spells finally get refreshed, and he can win the battle solo, at that point. With a little luck.

It is part of why I am reluctant to play Divinity Original Sin 2. They changed so many things, drastically and unnecessarily, about the already fantastic combat system.

I quite enjoyed the first Original Sin, and had the complete opposite reaction to the second volume. And I'm a huge fan of turn based combat, so it wasn't that, it was more how it seemed like I was forced to play in a certain manner. I've never really been good at the whole, "obeying" thing.

D:OS2 combat was definitely a downgrade, but was still fun IMO. D:OS1 had some of the most fun combat in the history of RPG'ish gaming, so I'm not sure why they felt the need to make such large changes.

Vaguely I think the argument for the change was one of balance. They felt it was too easy to 'abuse' D:OS combat. Of course (imho) as we see in poe series sometime too much balance is not a 'good' thing. For myself a little bit of imbalance in a single player game allows you to try new ideas in more radical extremes and that is what sort of creates a 'fun' factor. When the game is 'perfectly' balanced you fall into a pattern of being forced to do things the same way which becomes less interesting.

D:OS2 combat was definitely a downgrade, but was still fun IMO. D:OS1 had some of the most fun combat in the history of RPG'ish gaming, so I'm not sure why they felt the need to make such large changes.

D:OS2 combat was even easier to abuse...the source skills were ridiculous.

Same here. I've tried a few times over the decades to replay some of the early games, particularly the first NES zelda game and the third (Link to the Past for SNES), but just couldn't muster enough interest for them anymore.

That is like motion. People when they are young are able to do moves. They no longer practised. Instead, they prefered to rely on less demanding moves, requiring less range of motion and less flexibility.

Then, years later, they somehow remember they could do moves when younger. They try to do them, feel discomfort and declare they can just not muster enough interest for them anymore.

That is like motion. People when they are young are able to do moves. They no longer practised. Instead, they prefered to rely on less demanding moves, requiring less range of motion and less flexibility.

Then, years later, they somehow remember they could do moves when younger. They try to do them, feel discomfort and declare they can just not muster enough interest for them anymore.

Am I being scolded here? Scolded because I don’t have the same interest level for early Zelda games I once had? Really?!?

Am I being scolded here? Scolded because I don’t have the same interest level for early Zelda games I once had? Really?!?

Yeah, it's really weird how something you enjoyed SO much as a 7-year old is no longer fun to you as an adult. Must be your severely lowered skill, right?

Yeah, it's really weird how something you enjoyed SO much as a 7-year old is no longer fun to you as an adult. Must be your severely lowered skill, right?

Gaming forums are like a box of chocolates...

Gaming forums are like a box of chocolates
fb1259aa-edae-4d6a-ac89-e76291c9ec46_text_hi.gif

Joking aside I still watch that move occasionally. One of Tom Hanks best movies.:love:

Am I being scolded here?
No.

As really weird as a 40 yo declaring no interest in moves he could do as a 7 yo.

So indeed, really truly weird for superior minded people. For simple minded people, not so much.

Back
Top Bottom