General News - What is an RPG Today?

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Kotaku UK asked Chris Avellone and George Ziets what is an RPG today.

Ziets recalls that early computer RPGs like Wizardry and the original Bard’s Tale essentially ported the most popular editions of their tabletop progenitors like Dungeons and Dragons to the personal computer, eschewing epic tales of sword and sorcery to focus on the tactical guts of the pen-and-paper experience. “Originally, most RPGs were Tolkienesque, monster-slaying fantasies,” Ziets says. “Now we have RPGs set in science-fiction worlds, modern times, etc. Similarly, most early RPGs had some version of D&D stats and skills, but many are now evolving away from strict adherence to those rules.”

To Ziets, this slow expansion beyond the realm of twenty-sided dice and Vancian magic reflects the advance of video games as a medium, in the same way as early television programs like The Twilight Zone resembled theatrical productions more than the elaborate multi-camera setups of later decades. “As the art form evolved, and creators discovered techniques that were unique to television, that gradually moved further and further away from the techniques of theatre,” says Ziet. “TV got better and came into its own because creators learned what worked best for their medium, but in the early days, they had to start with what they knew. I see RPGs in much the same way.”

[...]
More information.

To me, the most cogent expression of what distinguishes an RPG from other games came from a professional blogger named Dessalock, I'm not sure of the spelling.

About 20 years ago, he was writing about RPGs for a gaming website. He said, approximately, that what distinguishes RPGs from other games is that the purpose of an RPG is just to play the game.

My interpretation: unlike other games, you're not out for high scores or to beat the game, you're there to simply live in that world and do whatever you like. That really resonated with me.

"you're there to simply live in that world and do whatever you like" - that's a definition of a garbage grinder MMO and garbage cowclicker. Sometimes also of simulation. That's not RPG. In my opinion.

G stands for game. What's a game? Definition vulgaris would be something like an obstacle/challenge or more of them where to proceed there is a fail possibility or not optimal solution(s).
G does not mean simulation, otherwise Sims would be RPG.
G also does not stand for grinding. Grinding is (second) job. It's not a game and it's definetly not skill.
Again, in my opinion.

Note that my opinion is almost never humble. ;)

If it's not a text or sprite-based, isometric experience with every possible stat being thrown onto my CRT, real-time-- it's a shooter.

- RPGWatch steadfast

And get off my lawn!

If it's not a text or sprite-based, isometric experience with every possible stat being thrown onto my CRT, real-time-- it's a shooter.

- RPGWatch steadfast

And get off my lawn!
Well said you get the stamp of approval.

6125J8ySeZL._SY355_.jpg

Though in my case my taste differs as I love all types of RPGs especially one like the Witcher series, and Dragon Age. Please don't judge me my fellow watchers.:sniff:

Last edited:
"you're there to simply live in that world and do whatever you like" - that's a definition of a garbage grinder MMO and garbage cowclicker. Sometimes also of simulation. That's not RPG. In my opinion.

G stands for game. What's a game? Definition vulgaris would be something like an obstacle/challenge or more of them where to proceed there is a fail possibility or not optimal solution(s).
G does not mean simulation, otherwise Sims would be RPG.
G also does not stand for grinding. Grinding is (second) job. It's not a game and it's definetly not skill.
Again, in my opinion.

Note that my opinion is almost never humble. ;)

I think you missed the point of what Dessalock said. Grinding is something you do to advance; there's no concern with advancement, so no grinding. You're there to simply play the game. If my interpretation was poorly worded, ignore it.

Take Baldur's Gate; you don't have to solve quests or follow a certain path, you just play the game.

There are plenty of adventure games with point systems and stats thrown in, so I don't see that as a distinguishing characteristic.

Hardly anyone ever agrees with me on this, or anything mostly, so no big deal.

- What is an RPG Today?

Its a phenomenon Chrissy and Zietsy that both of you are no longer capable to accomplish!! You two are creating JUNK nowadays, opposed to your amazing ancient past games.

I have a rather loose definition of a CRPG. To me, it's a game where I can be a character who interacts with other game characters in an open world. The game may or may not be fantasy-based. I like to have a character that can advance in stats/abilities, has an ultimate goal or mission. Long games are preferred. I don't have to 'beat' a game, whatever that means. If there is an over-arching goal, then yes I want to attain it. But it is enjoyable just to be in a game world and putter around and not feel compelled to 'win' it.
I don't care for turn-based, isometric, sim, PvP, tactical, strategy, FPS, MMO, MMPORG, whatever. I want 1st-3rd person, single player, open world. That's my idea of RPG.

I thought I once knew what an RPG was, but I see so many games now tagged loosely with RPG I'm not so sure.
If I was to define it, its about taking on a role as a character/characters, then progressing through a story ,levelling up and improving your stats / skills until you eventually reach the ultimate goals and complete the game.

Evolving past that? We've had Sci Fi CRPG's for a long time - I think the first one was the traveller adaptation.

As for game style? You mean action and first person. We've also had that for a very long time as arcade types.

RPG's have co-existed around these types of games for a long time. They haven't "evolved" into that style of gameplay, its more like they've turned into hybrids.

"Pure" rpgs are about expression of your character, how much control/impactful decision making player has, whether it's narrative/gameplay/other game systems ( crafting, etc).

That said there is nothing wrong with "hybrids", either (when done well)... like with CDPR/Piranha Bytes/Bioware/Bethesda games/"Immersive sims"/"Soulslikes", etc.

Whole genre would be utterly dull if everyone was using same template.

To me, the core of a CRPG is the ability to develop your character(s) in different and meaningful ways, such that you could have a significantly different experience by pursuing alternative builds.

Its difficult to define and I don't necessarily agree with Avellone's definition. You can play a role and make decisions in branching dialogue in adventure games. In fact many games I'd consider rpgs have no branching dialogue. Anything I'd call an rpg has character development, a story, exploration, and decisions that have more than one result. There also have to be situations you can succeed or fail at depending on how you've developed your character. That's usually combat, but it doesn't have to be.

It's difficult to find an exact definition, but I tend to agree with RPG score system here on the site, which values things like C&C and character development.

My definition of RPG is not analytical, it is intuitive. Which also means I can not communicate this definition by anything else than examples.

Too subjective to easily convey, and it can be so different for many folks. Frog and Cach nailed it best, at least a definition that works for me. Gotta have a good story, a character(s) that can grow, and substantive choices and consequences within the tale.

Back
Top Bottom