Pricewatch!

Yeah I picked up a few of the Final Fantasy games to replay at some point. Playing Phantasy Star Four the past few days has awoken the old school gamer in me.

I can't believe how well PS4 still holds up today. It's still far better than a lot of more recent games I've played.

I can't believe how well PS4 still holds up today. It's still far better than a lot of more recent games I've played.

Have you guys played Phantasy Star 1? That's still the best game of the series imo. Those first-person dungeons were awesome for their time. I never understood why they went completely isometric for the sequels.

Yup replayed Phantasy Star one last year, and the second also. Then something distracted me, but finally got back to the fourth game, not sure why I skipped the third one, maybe I don't own it yet.

Have you guys played Phantasy Star 1? That's still the best game of the series imo. Those first-person dungeons were awesome for their time. I never understood why they went completely isometric for the sequels.

I'm really torn between 1 and 4. PS1 was the first JRPG I played on the Sega Master System, way back in 1988 or whenever it was released so it has a special place but aside from that, I loved the concept, art style, music. And I loved the 1st Person dungeons but at the same time they could be quite frustrating. But PS4 was just about perfect for me, still very playable today. But I loved PS2 as well, though never finished it.

I would love a PS5, I don't know why Sega hasn't done anything with this series.

Was PS3 any good? I think I have that on a compilation but the poor reviews it received have kept me from playing it.

Was PS3 any good? I think I have that on a compilation but the poor reviews it received have kept me from playing it.

Honestly, no. Even when I was younger and had a much greater tolerance for boring games, I didn't care for it. There's no way I would play it now.

It did have an interesting concept that afaik was unique at the time. About 1/3 thru the game, you reach a point where you have to choose between 2 women for the main character to marry. It then jumps ahead in time and you play as the offspring of the original hero. Your main character will then be different depending on who you chose to marry. This happens again about 2/3 thru, so in the course of the game you'll play as three generations of this family.

The problem is that PS3 just isn't very fun. The combat is boring and grindy even by JRPG standards, and the game has almost no connection to the rest of the series.

If I had to rank the series -- PS1 > PS4 > PS2 > PS3

I don't think I ever actually finished PS4 though for some reason. I wish my backlog wasn't so large because now you've me thinking about replaying PS1 & PS4. I still haven't played the remake of PS1 they did for the PlayStation 2. :)

What a PS1 remake for PS2 ??? how could I have missed this ?!?!?! It was one of my favourite games......

What a PS1 remake for PS2 ??? how could I have missed this ?!?!?! It was one of my favourite games……

Actually, I forgot that both PS1 and PS2 were remade. The remakes are called Phantasy Star Generation 1 and Phantasy Star Generation 2. They were only released for the PlayStation 2 in Japan (and later the Japanese PlayStation Network), but you can play them in English on an emulator.

Here's an article and some screenshots…
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/08/20/phantasy-star-remakes-re-released-playstation-network-japan/

PS1 has been available in English for several years now. An English download of PS2 was just made available last November.

Here's a website that's dedicated to the series. http://www.pscave.com/

The new Humble Jumbo Bundle is a good one.

Pay what you want for Shadowrun Chronicles: Boston Lockdown, Oceanhorn, and Warmachine Tactics.

Pay more than the average (currently about $7) to unlock Shadowrun: Dragonfall DC, Dreamfall Chapters, and Magicka 2. + yet to be announced games.

Or pay $12 to get all of the above plus Grey Goo: Definitive Edition.

The new Humble Jumbo Bundle is a good one.

Pay what you want for Shadowrun Chronicles: Boston Lockdown, Oceanhorn, and Warmachine Tactics.

Pay more than the average (currently about $7) to unlock Shadowrun: Dragonfall DC, Dreamfall Chapters, and Magicka 2. + yet to be announced games.

Or pay $12 to get all of the above plus Grey Goo: Definitive Edition.

I picked this up for Dreamfall Chapters & Magicka 2 but i already have Shadowrun: Dragonfall Directors Cut, so if anyone wants my Steam key for that let me know

Same here. :)

Also, I have no interest in Magicka 2 so I'm giving that key away as well.

I'll put my hand up for the Magicka key if you still have it.

Thank you!

Titan Souls is currently half price on Steam. Anyone played it? I've heard comparisons to the Demon/Dark Souls games, at least in ethos.

Well Underrail will have to wait for me. I've still got Wasteland 2 and Divinity OS to play. With perhaps some XCOM 2 in there and Age of Decadence.

Also the souls series is beckoning me after seeing some gameplay footage of 3...

Back
Top Bottom