Dragon Age - Second Novel: The Calling

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Well, looks like the first Dragon Age novel was popular enough to spawn a second, with The Calling announced by Tor and BioWare, naturally written by David Gaider:
BIOWARE AND TOR BOOKS EXPAND THE DRAGON AGE UNIVERSE WITH THE NEW PREQUEL NOVEL DRAGON AGE: THE CALLING

Guildford, UK – September 15, 2009 – Leading video game developer BioWare™, a division of Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) and Tor Books, the largest publisher of science fiction in the world, today announced the publication of Dragon Age™: The Calling, a new novel set in the world of Dragon Age™: Origins, BioWare’s highly anticipated dark epic video game releasing this November. Veteran video game developer and Dragon Age: Origins lead writer, David Gaider, follows up his debut novel, Dragon Age: The Stolen Throne, with a thrilling new adventure set in the dark and epic fantasy universe of Dragon Age: Origins. Dragon Age: The Calling is scheduled to release on October 13, 2009, for $14.99.

In Dragon Age: The Stolen Throne, Maric set out on a mission of vengeance against the faithless lords who were responsible for his mother’s death. Now, having reclaimed the throne, King Maric finally allows the legendary Grey Wardens to return to Ferelden after two hundred years of exile. When they come, however, they bring dire news: one of their own has escaped into the Deep Roads and aligned himself with their ancient enemy, the monstrous darkspawn. The Grey Wardens need Maric’s help to find him. He reluctantly agrees to lead them into the passages he traveled through years before, chasing after a deadly secret that will threaten to destroy not only the Grey Wardens, but also the Kingdom above.

The team at BioWare has created a fantasy world on a scale unprecedented in the world of games —filled with compelling characters, gripping storylines, and hidden terrors. Dragon Age: The Calling is a rich, sweeping epic that will captivate avid fantasy readers and gamers just weeks before the launch of one of the most highly-anticipated fantasy RPGs ever.

In Dragon Age: Origins, players take on the role of a Grey Warden, one of the last of an ancient order of guardians who have served as protectors throughout the centuries. Only they have the power to unite the shattered lands, defeat the Archdemon and drive back the darkspawn that threaten to destroy the world. Players will interact with many interesting characters who may join them in their quest, and they will choose whether these characters become friends, foes, or even a romantic interest. Featuring a deep and compelling story where every choice can have a dramatic impact on the game, Dragon Age: Origins is scheduled to release on November 3, 2009 in North America and November 6, 2009 in Europe for the PC and Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system and later in November for the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system.

Dragon Age: Origins is rated M by the ESRB. For more information about Dragon Age: Origins, visit www.dragonage.com. Pre-order the game now at www.eastore.ea.com.
More information.

I'm reading the first right now. It's better than I expected. But then, I don't read many fantasy novels, so I'm not burned out on the standard characters and themes that some people might be.

I doubt I'll read the second one, though. I have a feeling that once I get through the first, that'll be enough.

I just ordered the first book last weekend. It'll take 4 - 6 weeks to get here. Too bad I won't be able to finish it before the game comes out.

Last edited:
The first book was kinda a strange read for me. I didnt like the beginning, the middle was okay, and I liked the end.

I know I'll end up getting this one

The second book will most likely go to my shopping list.The first one was okay allthough the end seemed a bit rushed. The world described in the book was interesting though and its a bit paint to wait for so long for the game still.

I won't be buying the second one. One was quite enough, TYVM.

Notice the use of the word 'epic' twice and of course 'dark' but only once in the blurb. I'm surprised they didn't say 'mature' anywhere!

Back
Top Bottom