HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
RPGFan has reviewed the tactical RPG Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark:

Fell Seal: The Arbiter's Mark

"A truly magnificent game."

Fell Seal: The Arbiter's Mark is a strategy RPG by a small independent developer called 6 Eyes Studio, whose founding members were part of Studio Archcraft. You may remember Studio Archcraft as the ambitious indie developer that created Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled for the Nintendo DS back in 2009. Although I enjoyed Black Sigil, I concede that it was buggy in spots, had an obnoxious encounter rate, and lacked several quality-of-life elements that players look for in modern retro-style games. I am thrilled to say that the folks at 6 Eyes have grown more skilled in their craft since the Black Sigil days. Fell Seal is a lovingly crafted and smooth-playing strategy RPG that genre fans will love.
[...]
It's no secret that I simply could not get enough of Fell Seal: The Arbiter's Mark. I must have sunk over 80 wonderful hours into the game, most of which were spent building up class levels to earn skills and see which classes I liked best for my play style. I tend to play games rather slowly and take ludicrous amounts of time to stop and smell the roses, so I believe that typical SRPG players could probably finish the game in 40-60 hours. Since it entered Early Access back in 2018, 6 Eyes Studio has been continuously improving the Fell Seal's aesthetics, balance, dialogue scripting, and various other minutiae up until release and beyond. They have also been extremely responsive to player feedback -- a strong indicator of how much they care. Their exhaustive efforts have yielded a truly magnificent game that SRPG aficionados simply must play.

Score: 90%
More information.

I do remember seeing this game before but I don't remember commenting on it.
9 ou of 10? How come noone is talking about it?
Cmon, who bought it, what's it about really?

But that doesn't say much. All I can spot there is ESRB 10 rating so… Kinda doesn't sound exciting.

EDIT:
Meh, for that price... Deserves some risk. Bought. Should uninstall NMS now so it doesn't distract me...

I have it but as usual I'm giving it a few months of release time to sort out any issues before I leap in. I kicked into this project on day one because I had serious faith in what the creators stated they'd produce, and I suspect they hit the ball out of the park with this one.

Started and noticed immediately a couple of silly design decisions:
- The game says pick a new recruit so you "buy" one. But you should unlock attributes of existing party prior to recruitment as many classes are locked by default, new attributes unlock new classes so instead of initial mercenary class you may recruit a knight for example.
- Upon clearing the first map point (crossroads) you may pick to patrol on it. Which is another fight. Optional probably, but… Am I seeing grind? Is it necessary to grind? I don't know. The game says nothing about it.

Other than that… User interface is mushrooms horror. Not as atrocious as Neptunia though so won't thumb down and refund the game. Do expect some struggling in menus and shops.
Intro has subtitles by default and I didn't see an option to disable those so at least something is unquestionably positive.

You sure? I just went to steam forum part on this game, searched for the word "grinding" and it returned this:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/699170/discussions/0/1649918058720257792/?ctp=2#c1649918058721956938
Luckily what that guy suggests with the reckless stat resets and over-grinding isn't actually necessary to beat the game on max settings.

Grinding Crossroads is something you'll probably want to do, as is recruiting 10 characters (I do both those things), but don't bother resetting to Level 1 at Level 4. You don't lose enough AP fighting Crossroads at level 4 for that to ever be worth the money to invest in, and fighting them with your units at a higher level is how you avoid getting your face injured off (ie Permadeath). If you want a particular way to cut through the early game on Permadeath:
So there *is* grinding, it's just that it seems to be unnecessary.

Hell, yeah, there better be the option to grind in this game, otherwise it can't call itself a true sRPG!

Anyway, I haven't played it yet but it looks awesome to me!

Well, they've already added some qol changes (plus bugfixes), the patch downloaded on me today:
https://steamcommunity.com/games/699170/announcements/detail/1607133862263714198
Just one change as example:
Movements: When in battle, clicking on the map will act as if "move" had been clicked, which should reduce mouse movement on the screen when trying to move a unit with the mouse.
Goody!
Previously you had to select "move" then move on the map which was one click too many. ;)

I suspect there will be many more patches/updates for this game, as it's a rather recent release. The people behind the scenes seem to care a great deal for their product, which only serves to make the game the best that it can be.

I suspect there will be many more patches/updates for this game, as it's a rather recent release. The people behind the scenes seem to care a great deal for their product, which only serves to make the game the best that it can be.

I don't think so, because the game was a very long time in the Early Access phase.
Most Errors have been sorted out already.

This game is super excellent, big thumbs up from me! I suggest anyone interested in to play immediately, it's a killer, killer game. Final Fantasy Tactics on steroids and executed brilliantly. Get it!!!

No it's not.
It feels like playing a card game where you know which cards both players have and where you can buy yourself some additional cards if needed.
A bit above mediocrity title at the beginning and god knows what does it turn into mid and late game.

I'm always trying to complete a game, but am not sure if I'll ever finish this one. Why? So far the story is lousy and pretty much irrelevant.
A love when a game calls me to return. This one? I'm actually watching some movie instead of playing it - to fill some batteries.
Sucks to be me. When it comes to this game at least. :D

Well the game has 92% positive reviews on Steam for a Very Positive rating, so people agree with me not you. :D

Titanic, the movie, most probably has 100%. Never watched it nor ever will. Anyone can sing about it as much as they want, I just refuse to touch it. It was crowned during the worst Hollywood's phase and as such it can rot.

Similar example is Donnie Darko. Similar because this one I did watch. Bullshit movie that has 10/10 on imdb and 100% on rotten tomatoes, the movie worse than Dracula 3000 and Ankle Biters if I'm asked.

In other words, I don't care about trends. I have my own opinion. On top of that not only I'm not scared to be a part of minority with different taste, I'm proud of it.
Doesn't mean I won't buy trash on a whim just because. Or to troll myself and have some proper laughs with the crap product when hollywood's so called comedy fails.

Also, you won't see me praising mediocrity. Not only that, I'll spit on mediocrity that was deliberately dumbed down to mediocrity - thanks to big publeshers' strategy: mediocrity sells.

It's cool joxer. I don't follow trends either, but I do think the game is brilliant. The story is fine so far and I'm really enjoying the depth of character development and cutscenes as well, with beautiful music, gorgeous hand-drawn backgrounds and enjoyable dialogue. In short, it's a really damn good game to me. YMMV.

I'm probably-- 2-3 story battles from the end of the game. I already gave my opinion of it in a previous review (https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42712)

Been playing it for a few hours now, and I quite like the game. The job system is pretty fun and impactful, and the difficulty is pretty well adjusted, and not a dull walk in the park as most games in this genre tend to be. The art is beautiful in its simplicity and I quite liked that you have a number of customisation options for all your non-plot locked champions. You can choose between a variety of outfits/headgear/accessories for each of them, select their gender, input their name and even easily import portraits - all of which to me are kind of a big deal, and it baffles me that other developers can't bother or just choose not to do it sometimes.

AI could be better at times, especially when you have the usual "AI Ally" that just do their best to get killed in every situation while you do your best to protect them, but that's the smallest of negative things I can say. Can't expect to be blown off your feet either, it's a 2D tactic combat game with the usual "chase the villain" storyline (so far as I've played). But the things it does, it does them pretty well.

My opinion hasn't changed. It deserves the 9/10 because of how well it does what it does, and because unlike most other games even two battles from the end of the game as I am, it keeps in a sweet spot of challenge where it's neither trivial nor obscenely brutal.

Well worth the price tag.

Back
Top Bottom