Archmage Rises - A Series of interesting Choices

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Developer Thomas Henshell send us some info about his upcoming RPG Archmage Rises:

Our vision is to bring the essence of the pen & paper role playing experience to the modern computer role playing game. Where player freedom, choice, and natural consequence is the core of the game.

Setting

Of low birth, sixteen, away from home, and now kicked out of school just prior to Confirmation. Legally, you are not allowed to practice magic. What will you do?

From this tumultuous beginning you are in control of how you make your way in the world of Vaelun.

• Conform to society or rail against it?
  • Forgive those who harmed you, or seek vengeance?
  • Become a famous academic or fearsome battlemage?
Character

You are born and will die of natural causes after a certain number of years (determined by genetics). How you spend your time is the most important decision you will make.

• Story driven character creation branches into over 144 beginnings.
  • Permadeath brings gravitas to every decision. Just as in real life, there are no redos.
  • Dozens of skills allow for broad character diversification. No two play throughs will be the same.
  • Most every action affects your soul. The more selfless you are, the more good options become available to you. The more selfish you are, the more evil options become available.
Combat

The innovative turn-based combat is designed from the ground up to be flexible, strategic, and fast. Combat is just one way of overcoming obstacles.

• The battlefield is separated into three ranges (Far, Mid, Near). Enemy weapons and abilities determine their optimal attack distance. Use your retinue of spells to blast your foes, but also to control the battlefield. It's like Chess with fireballs!
  • Decide how to best utilize your action points: quick light spells, or slow powerful ones. (Like Bravely Default)
  • Choose how powerfully to cast a spell. Like a boxer swinging, the more power you invest the higher chance of missing, and the more of an opening you allow to your opponent, but the more damage you do. Like boxing, battle is not just a test of power but wits and stamina as well.
  • Craft your own weapons, equipment, and spells. No class restrictions, specialize in your favorite spells.

More information.

This is ambitious and interesting - RPGWatch will follow this project!

Looks good as the combat & choice system have me very interested.

Thanks for the news-bit HiddenX.:thumbsup:

That's funny. I just finished to read this article about RPG and player agency and then I see a news post about this game which claims seems to be all about it.

*off to read about it*

edit:

What's with all the "magic" themed games lately too?

Interesting, will follow….. Is it coming to Kickstarter?

It's nothing but a design document and some hype so far, don't get excited yet. It takes a lot to materialize a complex vision like this. When he comes with a prototype that shows all this, then rejoice.

Any game with permadeath is not for me. Life is too short to have to replay several hours because of one mistake, especially at my age!! :)

Yep, same here.

Still looking very interesting, so I hope they'll make permadeath an optional feature.

I was initially intrigued by this - and will still follow it - but there's one thing that put me off in his interview. He mentions FTL as an influence because he (paraphrasing a bit) "likes games to play fast," and how because he has kids, he "doesn't have time for an engrossing 40 hour adventure, so 5-10 hours to get the complete experience" is what he's after. Ugh. I have limited time most days myself, but I still prefer engrossing, methodically paced games to sink into when I do have gaming time.

I don't know about this project… The devs keep talking about choice and consequence, but all we saw were fights and conversations with innkeepers and vendors. I'm afraid the game might end a little bit shallow. The conversation with the second innkeeper, for example, is weird. She says she murdered someone and he replies "Fantastic". Sounds like a very generic response. The game might be awesome, yeah, but I think I'll wait till release.

I like the idea! Will keep an eye out. A reminder from the Watch every now and then would help...

Definitely looks interesting. I like the art style and the ambition. Worth keeping an eye on.

I was initially intrigued by this - and will still follow it - but there's one thing that put me off in his interview. He mentions FTL as an influence because he (paraphrasing a bit) "likes games to play fast," and how because he has kids, he "doesn't have time for an engrossing 40 hour adventure, so 5-10 hours to get the complete experience" is what he's after. Ugh. I have limited time most days myself, but I still prefer engrossing, methodically paced games to sink into when I do have gaming time.

if the choices are as deep and numerous as they promise it's unlikely to get a 40 hour game of that depth from an indie dev. Unless it takes a decade to realize - like AoD.

If I understood Nerevarine correctly his problem wouldn't be short game length, but high game pace.

I choose to:
Conform to society!
Forgive those who harmed me!
Become a famous academic!

Yep, way too old for perma-death. I'm too close to that in real life ;)

Back
Top Bottom